[comp.dcom.telecom] TDD Long Distance Discount

gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore) (05/29/90)

KLH@nic.ddn.mil (Ken Harrenstien) wrote:

> Indeed, this is the rationale.  The standard figure in the literature
> I've seen has been a 5:1 ratio; that is, a conversation via TDD takes
> five times as long as a voice call to convey the same information.

So, since I use Telebit modems and can send in two minutes what would
take thirty minutes by voice, I should be charged 15x the voice rate for
my long distance calls?  I should move netnews over dozens of TDD's,
so I can get those really cheap rates!

Not only do deaf people burn up more time on the lines than the
average subscriber, but they get charged less for it?  Why don't they
get surcharged instead, like BBS systems in some places?

Besides the general public being ripped off to pay the phone bills of
the deaf, there is also the topic of TDD design itself.  Years ago, a
few companies made combination TDD's with 300-baud modems as well as
Weitbrecht modems built in.  Most deaf people didn't buy them.  That's
why they are now stuck with 45 baud modems -- they didn't buy faster
ones when they were offerred.  Nowadays you could get 1200 or 2400 for
the same price (it's all in one chip) but still they buy 45's.

What is worse, California phone subscribers are also being ripped off
so PacBell can BUY these obsolete devices and GIVE them to the deaf!
I already object to their forcing me to subsidize deaf people as a
class, but if I chose myself to subsidize any deaf people, I'd at
least give them a decent modem, or a fax machine, not this trash.

> Oh yeah, while I'm ranting about bills, [various rants about the
> California Relay Service, a "free" service that lets deaf people TDD
> to the service which reads their message to hearing people and vice
> verse.  By "free" I mean "you and I pay for it, not its users".]

Why isn't there a free relay service for email users to send to and
receive from fax machines?  I mean, we are at a severe disadvantage
when *everybody* has a fax machine except us!  Or howabout a
Fax-to-voice service for the blind?  And a voice-to-explanations
service for the stupid?  How can you advocate helping the deaf without
helping all the other "deserving" multitudes?

Personally I think helping people should be voluntary.  I don't like
the kind of "help" the government gives.

tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> (05/30/90)

In article <8374@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore) writes:

> Not only do deaf people burn up more time on the lines than the
> average subscriber, but they get charged less for it?  Why don't they
> get surcharged instead, like BBS systems in some places?

Because the idea is to try to DECREASE the isolation of deaf folks,
not increase it!  Besides, a really SMART network should be able to
handle LOTS of 45 baud TDD calls over the same bandwidth as one voice
call.

> Besides the general public being ripped off to pay the phone bills of
> the deaf, there is also the topic of TDD design itself.  Years ago, a

RIPPED OFF???  Yeah, "screw all the deaf folks ... let the 'free
market determine their fate!"

> few companies made combination TDD's with 300-baud modems as well as
> Weitbrecht modems built in.  Most deaf people didn't buy them.  That's
> why they are now stuck with 45 baud modems -- they didn't buy faster
> ones when they were offerred.  Nowadays you could get 1200 or 2400 for
> the same price (it's all in one chip) but still they buy 45's.

This is bullshit.  Most of the TDDs today have both 45 baud Baudot and
300 baud ASCII.  From a practical standpoint, most people don't type
faster than 45 baud (60 WPM) anyway.

> I already object to their forcing me to subsidize deaf people as a
> class, but if I chose myself to subsidize any deaf people, I'd at
> least give them a decent modem, or a fax machine, not this trash.

You are just plain selfish.  These people are incredibly isolated, and
now that a little bit is FINALLY being done to help, YOU CAN"T STAND
IT!

> Oh yeah, while I'm ranting about bills, [various rants about the
> California Relay Service, a "free" service that lets deaf people TDD
> to the service which reads their message to hearing people and vice
> verse.  By "free" I mean "you and I pay for it, not its users".]

> Why isn't there a free relay service for email users to send to and
> receive from fax machines?  I mean, we are at a severe disadvantage
> when *everybody* has a fax machine except us!  Or howabout a

Go buy a fax machine then!  Don't bellyache about the deaf!

> Personally I think helping people should be voluntary.  I don't like
> the kind of "help" the government gives.

Well, I have been doing voluntary work to help hearing impaired folks
for quite some time now, and the volunteer efforts alone haven't cut
it!  If you object to the rest of us getting the government involved,
what have YOU been doing to help??

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA   Packet: KT7H @ N7HFZ.WA.USA.NA   Phone: 206/527-4089
MCI Mail: 3288544   Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad   or, tad@ssc.UUCP

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (05/30/90)

John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> writes:

> Besides the general public being ripped off to pay the phone bills of
> the deaf, there is also the topic of TDD design itself.

Then there's the Lifeline business. Remember the original concept? In
our modern society, the theory went, those with less than normal means
still needed the security of a telephone, particularly the elderly. So
that these people could afford a telephone, a special low rate
(subsidized by all of the rest of us, and now even billed as a
"lifeline surcharge") was created with a very small local calling
allowance. Well, that seemed slightly reasonable: the phone was really
necessary for emergencies and this subsidized rate would make it
available for those who couldn't otherwise afford it.

Then someone pointed out that those with lifeline service were also
too poor to go anywhere or do anything and passed the hours talking on
the phone. Since the cost could go through the roof with the limited
measured service, the guilt squad decreed that lifeline should also be
unmeasured. Done [said the king with a stroke].

My question is why stop there? How about free flat-rate long distance?
How about free 976 (and just bill the providers as if they had
recieved a pay call, but of course they don't get paid)?

> And a voice-to-explanations service for the stupid?

I love it! But it would have to be paid for with a surcharge on people
with IQs over 70.

> Personally I think helping people should be voluntary.  I don't like
> the kind of "help" the government gives.

Unfortunately, utilities are a favorite target for the "assistance
afficiandos". You know, give away the first few cubic feet, kilowatts,
etc., then charge like hell for any amount over that. It's called
"social manipulation pricing".  The telephone, being just a bit
different, requires a different contortion of rates.  It has to have a
special rate available only to the target beneficiaries, and a
surcharge is collected from everyone else.

Frankly, I think it's unfair that I have to pay so much for my
telephone lines. Why can't I get ten lines at lifeline rates? Then my
money could go for things I REALLY want.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (05/31/90)

Tad Cook <ssc!tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu> writes:

> RIPPED OFF???  Yeah, "screw all the deaf folks ... let the 'free
> market determine their fate!"

> You are just plain selfish.  These people are incredibly isolated, and
> now that a little bit is FINALLY being done to help, YOU CAN"T STAND
> IT!

I'm getting the impression that Mr. Cook and those who are setting up
the subsidized TDD service are of the conviction that Deaf = Poor.
Just so we don't misunderstand each other, years ago I worked with the
deaf in some of the poorest "hollers" of North Carolina. That was
POVERTY.

But just as in the community at large, so was there a spectrum of
accomplishment among the deaf community. With that exposure, I have
never had the impression that our deaf citizens are somehow unable to
provide for themselves. Indeed, the non-hearing persons I number among
my acquaintences are somewhat better off financially than I am.

As far as isolation goes, a person who is deaf can adjust his own
isolation. While there may be some who are content to sit back with
self-commiseration, there are many others, who like those in North
Carolina, will not let ANYTHING stand in their path toward
achievement.

BTW, what's the matter with some type of batched e-mail for the deaf?
What about devices (like this computer?) that allow the user to
compose and edit a message OFF LINE and then transmit it at high speed
to a destination? Why does TDD communication all have to be on line,
in real time? Hell, if I wrote and received my daily e-mail
interactively on line at even local rates, the bill would be
staggering.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

"Fred E.J. Linton" <FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu> (05/31/90)

In <8374@accuvax.nwu.edu> gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore) writes:

> Why isn't there a free relay service for email users to send to and
> receive from fax machines? ...  Or howabout a
> Fax-to-voice service for the blind?

	It's not _quite_ free, but darned close: -- both AT&T Mail and
MCI Mail certainly _send_ e-mail _to_ fax machines, at very nominal
charges (and at least one of these outfits will also send e-mail to a
teleprinter).  Unconfirmed rumors (who knows, maybe they're even
unwarranted :-) ) suggest they may _eventually_ serve as fax
receiver/forwarders for their customers, as well, forwarding fax
printout via USPS (this, however, is not yet an announced service).

	Not Fax-to-voice but e-mail-to-voice is a current offering at
least of AT&T Mail (available, though I've never used it, from any TT
phone in the US, maybe elsewhere -- 800 number and keypad overlay were
provided with AT&T Mail's new customer documentation package when I
joined up).

Fred <FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU> <attmail!fejlinton>
<414-2427@mcimail.com>

cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) (06/01/90)

In article <8451@accuvax.nwu.edu>, ssc!tad@beaver.cs.washington.edu
(Tad Cook) writes:

> In article <8374@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gnu@toad.com (John Gilmore) writes:
# # Besides the general public being ripped off to pay the phone bills of
# # the deaf, there is also the topic of TDD design itself.  Years ago, a

# RIPPED OFF???  Yeah, "screw all the deaf folks ... let the 'free
# market determine their fate!"

Why assume that deaf people can't afford to pay for their own
services?  It's certainly true that deaf people, on average, have
lower incomes than hearing people -- but there are deaf people who
don't need the subsidy.

Hell, the TDD subsidy isn't even "From each according to his
abilities, to each according to his need" -- it's a subsidy that
benefits poor, middle class, and rich deaf people equally.

# # Oh yeah, while I'm ranting about bills, [various rants about the
# # California Relay Service, a "free" service that lets deaf people TDD
# # to the service which reads their message to hearing people and vice
# # verse.  By "free" I mean "you and I pay for it, not its users".]

# # Why isn't there a free relay service for email users to send to and
# # receive from fax machines?  I mean, we are at a severe disadvantage
# # when *everybody* has a fax machine except us!  Or howabout a

# Go buy a fax machine then!  Don't bellyache about the deaf!

You missed the whole point of the posting -- why do we have subsidies
for some groups, but not for others?

# # Personally I think helping people should be voluntary.  I don't like
# # the kind of "help" the government gives.

# Well, I have been doing voluntary work to help hearing impaired folks
# for quite some time now, and the volunteer efforts alone haven't cut
# it!  If you object to the rest of us getting the government involved,
# what have YOU been doing to help??

If the "rest of you" are any significant number of people, then there
should be no problem raising the money privately.  If not, why are you
forcing the rest of the society to fund it?

I have one deaf acquaintance.  He is a highly paid software engineer.
He doesn't need my help -- he's quite capable of taking care of
himself.

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Disclaimer?  You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like mine!

KLH@nic.ddn.mil (Ken Harrenstien) (06/03/90)

I guess I should comment, although I'm not sure whether I can
adequately cover in one message all of the subtopics that are now
tearing off in all directions.  I tend to wax philosophical, so bear
with me...

As a professional, I agree with John Gilmore that rewarding
inefficient transmission with lower rates seems counter-intuitive, and
I can understand the appeal of Libertarian arguments to put everything
on a pure pay-for-yourself basis.

But Karl Denninger is correct when he writes that:

>However, the issue is not
>bandwidth, nor is it the information able to be transmitted per unit
>of time.  It could be a matter of perceived public service, or any one
>of a number of other factors.

It's simply impossible to consider technology in isolation; economic,
political, and moral considerations all contribute factors that are
almost always far more important.  I learned this many times over
while working on our Deafnet project and participating in the PUC
hearings for California's TDD distribution program, and got so
depressed and burned-out by this exposure to reality that for several
years afterwards I had no interest in bashing my head any further.

Technological:

High-speed data standards, batched e-mail, VLSI modems and other
technological fixes are fine and dandy, but the concepts were not new
twelve years ago when we demonstrated all of them.  Exercise for the
reader: Why do you think they haven't happened?  Analogous exercise:
why don't we have HDTV yet?

Economic:

Are the deaf economically disadvantaged?  In general, yes.  Anecdotal
evidence might work for Reagan, but not in this forum, I hope.
Regardless of many well-off deaf professionals you know, the data from
real surveys is not encouraging.  In general, the level of income for
deaf people is below that of the hearing population; for the
prelingually deaf the differences are more severe.  One of these
differences is a 6th-grade reading level, which is not exactly a
ticket to fortune (once again, movie stars notwithstanding).  While my
own experiences as a WODP must be considered equally anecdotal, they
are consistent with these surveys.  And were a rude shock, I might
add.

Political:

Why should some groups be subsidized?  A good question, which should
be applied to everything else such as local and rural telephone
services, hospitals, insurance, mass transit, PBS, and space
launchers.  Whether we like it or not, the representatives of our
society have already decided that subsidization is an acceptable
method to promote the greater good, and if you are arguing against
this concept, you are taking a radical position indeed.  In this
particular case, I believe some form of help for deaf telephone users
does indeed promote the greater good, but as for most other subsidies
it is hard to come up with definite proof of this.  We make do with
appeals to emotion, reason, and greed.

I don't know how the rate discount evolved.  I do know that the TDD
distribution plan in California was heavily influenced by TDD
manufacturers who expected to gain a windfall profit from sales to
telcos.  The situation of deaf people provided the emotional
sugarcoating that made the vendors' motives palatable to the
legislature and PUC.  Whether the equipment served the needs of the
deaf was secondary to whether it served the needs of the vendors, the
PUC, and the lobbyists thereof.  In retrospect, just normal politics.

Moral:

Modern western culture appears to have developed a general philosophy
that it is a Good Thing for advantaged people to help disadvantaged
people.  Aside from religious motives, this can be justified both on
the selfishly personal grounds that you never know when YOU will
become one of the disadvantaged, and the more noble but long-range
faith that it will contribute to society as a whole.  I use the word
"faith" because even when the economic numbers demonstrate the
advantages of things like subsidization, it's hard for most people or
businesses to think in such long-range terms.  Why should your money
support my telephone usage?  Why should my money support your PhD at
Enormous State University?  Why am I wandering off the subject?

In sum:

Personally I think that the additional traffic and business generated
by providing telephone access to the deaf will far compensate for the
"subsidization".  I don't think the rate discount is a particularly
well-conceived approach to the problem, but the other aspects (TDD
distribution and relay service) are essential.  The telephone has
become such an enormously important and crucial part of our society
today that any group which is prevented from using it, for any reason,
is indeed severely disadvantaged.

I just wish that it was easier to get technology out of the lab and
into the real world.

Ken