[comp.dcom.telecom] One Ringer, N Phones

Otto Miller <olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com> (05/31/90)

I have a need in a high noise envirnment (my workshop... compressor,
saw, etc) that I am served by two residential lines.  I would like a
single loud ringer driven by both lines just to get my attention.  Any
ideas?  Thank you in advance!

                                       Sincerely,
Reachable by:                          Otto L. Miller
olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com
       - or -
olmiller@europa.asd.contel.com

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (06/01/90)

In article <8476@accuvax.nwu.edu>, olmiller@xibm.asd.contel.com (Otto
Miller) writes:

> I have a need in a high noise envirnment (my workshop... compressor,
> saw, etc) that I am served by two residential lines.  I would like a
> single loud ringer driven by both lines just to get my attention.  Any
> ideas?  Thank you in advance!

	There are several ways to do this. But one you may consider is
the Viking Electronics "Loud Ringer/Auxiliary Paging Amplifier".

	From the blurb: "The PA-2A provides both loud ringing and
auxiliary paging for electronic keys systems, 1A2 systems, and
"KSU-less phones.  It will generate an adjustable loud warble from up
to six incoming C.O. lines or from a dry contact closure (TIE 612,
Comdial Executech).  Night bell transfer capabilities are built in.

	The PA-2A is easy to install and eliminates the installation
of multiple bells, relays and paging cards."

	You will need to add a PA Horn (Industrial strength
loudspeaker) to this. Sorry no surf report today. I think you also
have to supply a 13.  5 V AC (60 Hz) power supply to drive the bugger,
but check when you buy it. Get it from a telecom distributor, anyone
but Graybar. I recommend Alltel (213) 692-9138 ask for Garth. They
will do COD.

	So, the Viking PA-2A Multi-Line Loud Ringer, $86.00 plus a
speaker will do the trick. Plus you get a paging amp as well for
hootin' an' hollerin' at the help. These items are very popular out
here in small machine shops and rag trade sweat shops.

	Yes, Esmerelda, there are other solutions, but this is
probably the neatest and cheapest under the circumstances.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (06/02/90)

Otto L. Miller wanted a loud ringer for his high-noise work environment.

I'd recommend a flashing light instead. Radio stations use them in
areas where a ringing bell might be heard on-air.

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (06/03/90)

Miller) writes:

> I have a need in a high noise environment (my workshop... compressor,
> saw, etc) that I am served by two residential lines.  I would like a
> single loud ringer driven by both lines just to get my attention.  Any
> ideas?  Thank you in advance!

Radio Shack sells a device that connects two lines to one answering
machine.  It connects its output to the last input on which ringing
was detected.  It can be used with their own or someone else's loud
bell, to do the same thing.  It costs about $20.

I use two of them, in cascade fashion, to share a Caller-ID display
unit among three incoming lines.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave