[comp.dcom.telecom] East/West German Telephone Area Codes and Postal Codes

wnp@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) (06/04/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #397, J. Stephen Reed <0002909785@mcimail.com>
writes:

> West German postal codes are normally four digits, ranging from 1000
> (West Berlin) to 7999.

I would not put too much credence to the exact wording of the article
you are quoting. All of Bavaria has postal codes starting with 8, with
Munich being 8000. Bavaria IS part of West Germany.

> according to a DBP bulletin some years ago, the 8000s and 9000s are reserved
> for "other German regions" ... primarily ... ("the so-called 'GDR'").

> (Digression: Note the word "primarily" in the last paragraph.  It
> seems obvious that not all Federal Republic bureaucrats have given up
> on getting back the territories now held by Poland ...

As for it being obvious what some German bureaucrats think about the
German/Polish border, the source document cited in the article seems
to date back several decades, when the German postal code system was
set up, and not reflect anyone's thinking today.  Mr. Reed even quotes
the magazine article referring to a DBP bulletin 'SOME YEARS AGO", and
if it uses the phrase, "so-called GDR", which has been out of official
use for some time, it would, as he himself pointed out, date back to
the 50s or 60s.

It has already been reported here that the DBP Telecom has area codes
(not codes for exchanges) set aside for the territory of the DDR.

Disclaimer: I am not German, and have no special interest in German
unification -- but neither in international fear mongering, which
seems very common in the context of potential German re-unification.
Anyone wanting my views on this subject in more detail is welcome to
ask by e-mail.

Wolf N. Paul, Int. Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schloss Laxenburg, Schlossplatz 1, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp
INTERNET: wnp%iiasa.at@uunet.uu.net   BITNET: tuvie!iiasa!wnp@awiuni01.BITNET