[comp.dcom.telecom] New Double-jack Wall Plates, Crosstalk?

We just had new phone service hooked up, two lines: one for data, the
other for voice. Instead of designating one jack for data and hooking
up the rest for voice, my wife let them install a new kind of
wallplate with two lines at each point:

	+-------------+
	|             |
	|  +--+ +--+  |
	|  |  | |  |  |
	|  +--+ +--+  |
	|             |
	+-------------+

I presume they have hooked red-green up on one line, and yellow-black
on the other. I haven't had time to check it or even pop a plate
(moving is *such* fun), but if they did this I should expect some
crosstalk. Has anyone else seen this setup? If there is a crosstalk
problem, what should I do?

`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
@FIN  Dirty words: Zhghnyyl erphefvir vayvar shapgvbaf.

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (05/31/90)

In article <8435@accuvax.nwu.edu>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com
(Peter da Silva) writes:

> We just had new phone service hooked up, two lines: one for data, the
> other for voice. Instead of designating one jack for data and hooking
> up the rest for voice, my wife let them install a new kind of
> wallplate with two lines at each point ...

	There is a certain amount of dejavu here: Quad wire in phone
installations causes crosstalk. The jacks that were installed will not
be the cause of the crosstalk. So you can't blame the Mrs. for this
one. Crummy wire could be a cause of crosstalk. You say that you have
Red, Green and Black, Yellow wire. This stuff is called quad wire. It
is not twisted pair wire. If you use quad wire you will get crosstalk
between the two pairs. The right wire to use is "Twisted pair". This
stuff has the following color code: White/Blue, Blue/White.
White/Orange, Orange/White. White/Green, Green/White. As a general
rule, the minimum number of pairs in twisted pair cable is three. Yes
there is two pair around, it is rare but I saw some yesterday at
Pacific Palisades - Surf was lousy though.

	The jacks are not the source of the crosstalk. I do this sort
of thing all the time. In about an hour I am going to an establishment
that has telephone and Appletalk sharing the same cable and coming out
to duplex jacks. It works because it is twisted pair.

	So, if you have twisted pair, no worries. If you have quad -
yuck.  But the quad may work.

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (05/31/90)

(Peter da Silva) writes:

> We just had new phone service hooked up, two lines: one for data, the
> other for voice...

> I presume they have hooked red-green up on one line, and yellow-black
> on the other ...  if they did this I should expect some  crosstalk.
> Has anyone else seen this setup? If there is a crosstalk  problem,
> what should I do?

If they really used the two pairs available in standard quad, as you
suggest, then you will probably experience crosstalk, if there's any
significant cable run.  It isn't caused by sharing a duplex jack, but
by the cable.

For two-line service, they should use a cable with two (or more)
twisted pairs.  If they did, they would probably have connected one
line to the blue-white pair and the other to the orange-white pair.
If they did that, you shouldn't experience crosstalk, regardless of
the connectors used.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]

In article <8500@accuvax.nwu.edu> julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey)
writes:

> 	There is a certain amount of dejavu here: Quad wire in phone
> installations causes crosstalk. The jacks that were installed will not
> be the cause of the crosstalk. So you can't blame the Mrs. for this
> one. [ lots of detailed explanation of stuff I already know ]

Yes, yes, yes. I know all that. I didn't explain all my reasoning
because I assumed that folks here would know it all already. This is
an existing apartment, wired with (I presume, since all other
apartments I've been in have been wired this way) quad wire from the
network demark to each wall plate. Normally I'd have one line... quad
to the wall plate ... for the data line and the other wires... again,
quad to the wall plate ... for the voice lines. Each cable is now one
wire on quad. Crosstalk should be minimal, unless they run the quads
next to each other in the same conduit for any significant length.
With this setup, all the quads have both lines next to each other and
some crosstalk is to be expected. It's a small apartment, so it might
not be so bad.

Sigh. Next time I ask a question I'll be sure to include full
background on everything, my life history, and the whole shmeer...