[comp.dcom.telecom] Ascii--> TDD

"Yossi (Joel" <joel%TECHUNIX.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> (06/05/90)

In article <8525@accuvax.nwu.edu> ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.
com!AMillar@uunet.uu.net writes:

>Think of what things would be like with dual-mode modems.  Service
>providers could use dual-mode modems to accept calls from regular
>modems or TDDs.  BBSs, Telenet, Tymnet, public-access Unix systems,
>you name it.  That way, every deaf person could read the Telecom [...]

In the meantime, was I'd really like to see is an ASCII-TDD relay on
the net somewhere.  Imagine if I could Telnet to CA and then use a
dial-out modem/TDD to place a call to a TDD!  Or use PCP or Tymnet for
the same purpose.  I think the real barrier is that no one who can
really wants to do it.  I tried to convince the Administration at
Brandeis Univ. to install a TDD/modem on their mainframe, so that the
whole campus would have TDD facilites.  They even bought the modem.
But no one would bother to install it!  Basically, it was killed in
the beaurocracy.  *sigh*

Joel