[comp.dcom.telecom] My List of North American Area Codes

mshiels@uunet.uu.net (05/27/90)

[Moderator's Note: Although we have run similar lists from time to
time, since new readers are always asking for a copy and not everyone
has access to the Telecom Archives, here is another copy. This one is
somewhat more up to date, since it includes projections for the next
two years.   PT]

1-200-  (Unused)	    1-201-  New Jersey         1-202-  Washington DC
1-203-  Connecticut         1-204-  Manitoba	       1-205-  Alabama
1-206-  Washington	    1-207-  Maine              1-208-  Idaho
1-209-  California	    1-210-  (Unused)	       1-211-  (Unused)
1-212-  New York NY	    1-213-  Los Angeles CA     1-214-  Texas
1-215-  Pennsylvania        1-216-  Ohio	       1-217-  Illinois
1-218-  Minnesota	    1-219-  Indiana            1-300-  (Unused)
1-301-  Maryland	    1-302-  Delaware	       1-303-  Colorado
1-304-  West Virginia	    1-305-  Florida	       1-306-  Saskatchewan
1-307-  Wyoming		    1-308-  Nebraska           1-309-  Illinois
1-310-  Los Angeles, CA (effective '92)                1-311-  (Unused)
1-312-  Chicago IL	    1-313-  Detroit MI	       1-314-  Missouri
1-315-  New York	    1-316-  Kansas             1-317-  Indiana
1-318-  Louisiana	    1-319-  Iowa	       1-400-  (Unused)
1-401-  Rhode Island        1-402-  Nebraska           1-403-  AB,NWT,Yukon
1-404-  Georgia             1-405-  Oklahoma	       1-406-  Montana
1-407-  Florida		    1-408-  California         1-409-  Texas
1-410-  (Unused)	    1-411-  (Unused)	       1-412-  Pennsylvania
1-413-  Massachusetts	    1-414-  Wisconsin          1-415-  San Fran, CA
1-417-  Missouri	    1-418-  Quebec             1-419-  Ohio
1-500-  (Unused)	    1-501-  Arkansas           1-502-  Kentucky
1-503-  Oregon		    1-504-  Louisiana	       1-505-  New Mexico
1-506-  New Brunswick	    1-507-  New Mexico	       1-508-  Massachusetts
1-509-  Washington          1-510-  California (effective '91)
1-511-  (Unused)	    1-512-  Texas	       1-513-  Ohio
1-514-  Montreal, PQ	    1-515-  Iowa               1-516-  New York
1-517-  Michigan	    1-518-  New York           1-519-  S.W. Ontario
1-600-  (Unused)	    1-601-  Mississippi        1-602-  Arizona
1-603-  New Hampshire       1-604-  British Columbia   1-605-  South Dakota
1-606-  Kentucky	    1-607-  New York	       1-608-  Wisconsin
1-609-  New Jersey	    1-610-  (TWX - Unused)     1-611-  (Unused)
1-612-  Minnesota	    1-613-  Ottawa,Kingston ON 1-614-  Ohio
1-615-  Tennessee           1-616-  Michigan	       1-617-  Massachusetts
1-618-  Illinois	    1-619-  California         1-700-  Special Services
1-701-  North Dakota	    1-702-  Nevada             1-703-  Virginia
1-704-  North Carolina      1-705-  Barrie, Peterborough, North Bay ON
1-706-  (was Mexico - currently unused)                1-707-  California
1-708-  Chgo. Suburbs, IL   1-709-  Newfoundland       1-710-  Federal Gov't
1-711-  (Unused)	    1-712-  Iowa               1-713-  Texas
1-714-  California          1-715-  Wisconsin          1-716-  New York
1-717-  Pennsylvania	    1-718-  New York, NY       1-719-  Colorado
1-800-  800 Service (toll-free)			       1-801-  Utah
1-802-  Vermont             1-803-  South Carolina     1-804-  Virginia
1-805-  California	    1-806-  Texas              1-807-  NW Ontario
1-808-  Hawaii		    1-809-  Various Caribbean Islands; Puerto Rico
1-810-  (TWX - Unused)	    1-811-  (Unused) 	       1-812-  Indiana
1-813-  Florida             1-814-  Pennsylvania       1-815-  Illinois
1-816-  Missouri	    1-817-  Texas              1-818-  California
1-819-  Western Quebec, eastern NWT
1-900-  900 service - can be costly!                   1-901-  Tennessee
1-902-  Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island
1-903-  Texas (effective fall '90)                     1-904-  Florida
1-905-  (was Mexico City - now unused)                 1-906-  Michigan
1-907-  Alaska              1-908-  New Jersey (effective early '91)
1-909-  (currently unused)  1-910-  (TWX - Unused)     1-911-  (Unused)
1-912-  Georgia             1-913-  Kansas             1-914-  New York
1-915-  Texas		    1-916-  California1        1-917-  (unused)
1-918-  Oklahoma            1-919-  North Carolina

rdt139z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (05/30/90)

I like that!  The correct title of the posting would have been "My
List of *Other* North American Area Codes".  The list skips 416.  The
article was posted from tmsoft, in Toronto, in area code 416.

Mark Brader, utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com		C unions never strike!

colin@uunet.uu.net (colin_plumb) (05/30/90)

I just came back from England, and noticed that one of the country
codes they listed in their phone book was 1 809 (they even put the
space in).  How many countries have no country code but "1"?

Colin

news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News System) (05/30/90)

If I remember correctly all N11 code are resevered for special
services such as 411 - directory assistance, 611 - trouble reporting,
and 911 - emergency service.

I heard San Francisco and Oakland are going to split the current area
code in two. Do you know when and what it will be?

Mark Kallas

Juan Valdez <sc247111@gwusun.gwu.edu> (05/31/90)

In your message, you listed 1-200 as an unused area code.  Actually,
dialing 200-555-1212 (or I'm sure any combination after the 555 will
work) without a 1 before, will result in a recording reading back the
phone number of the line you are calling from.  I believe 811 will
work the same way in some areas.

"DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN)" <DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu> (05/31/90)

Something else I noticed (from another one of Pat's postings, this one
dealing with the "new" area codes in a revised area code list...):

Perhaps I missed this in the discussion, but I noticed area codes like
"411", "211", "611", "811", "511", and "200".

Now 411 is used quite universally for Directory Assistance (DA)
    611 is used similarly for repair.
    811 is used by Pac*Bell for calls to their offices, etc.
    211 is used in New York City to call for credit. (The ops. don't handle
        credit requests there.)
    511 is used in Rcohester for ANA. (or whatever you call the automatic
        number announcement.)
    911 is used for emergency services
    200 is used for the same purpose in NE Tel territory. (200-222-2222,
        I think...).

While I realize that it is POSSIBLE to use these numbers as area codes
by placing a 1+ in front of them to distinguish the "area code" call
from the "local service" call, in many areas, these X11 services take
a 1+ in front of them.

For example, in Connecticut, you must dial 1+411 for DA. (I think this
is done so DA access can be restricted ... you don't need to dial
1+611 for repair.)  I think this may also be so for Louisiana and some
areas of Oregon, but I can't recall specifically ... (anyone in Bend,
Oregon know if you need to dial 1+411? Or was it 1+555-1212? I never
did it because they charge *50 cents* for a DA call from a payphone!)

In some areas in New England, you need to dial 1-200-222-2222 for ANA
(this doesn't seem to be universal though).

Moreover, 1-611 is permitted (although by no means required) from what
appear to be 1/AESS exchanges in the New York City area.

So if those numbers are to be used as area codes, how will the present
system be changed to accommodate the new are codes? Won't this be VERY
confusing, as most customers who know "411" as directory assistance,
"611" as repair, and "911" as Emerncy services tend to think of such
numbers as "special" and thus reserved for such special uses?

I would think that if anything, these numbers will be assigned last,
way after 510, 310, etc. are all used up.

Additionally, when we go to full 1+ dialing, where (almost) any three
digits can be an area code, won't 1+xxx-xxxx dialing have to go away?
IE, right now, I dial 1-890-1611 for NY Tel repair (upstate). Won't
this be confusing to the switch when they assign area code "890"? IE,
the switch will have to "time-out" to see if you mean "area code 890
plus 7 more digits" or "toll call to number 890-xxxx". I'd personally
prefer, if it becomes necessary, to get rid of in-area code 1+ dialing
over having to wait for a call to timeout ... (Of course this is
ALREADY a problem with 0+xxx-xxxx calls, but that can wait till
another time! :-) )

Doug

dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet/@eagle.wesleyan.edu

David Tamkin <0004261818@mcimail.com> (06/01/90)

Doug Reuben wrote in volume 10, issue 400:

|Additionally, when we go to full 1+ dialing, where (almost) any three
|digits can be an area code, won't 1+xxx-xxxx dialing have to go away?
|I'd personally prefer, if it becomes necessary, to get rid of in-area
|code 1+ dialing over having to wait for a call to timeout ...

Eight-digit dialing will have to vanish.  Toll calls within one's own
area code will be dialed NXX-XXXX or 1-NPA-NXX-XXXX, depending on
whichever your telco picks.  (A few telcos do or will allow both.)

|Of course this is ALREADY a problem with 0+xxx-xxxx calls, but that can
|wait till another time!

In area codes where N[0/1]X prefixes are in use, 0+ calling within the
area code already needs all eleven digits.  That will be the case
throughout North America when NNX area codes go live.

On the topic of Michael Shiels's original submission with this
subject, I thought for sure Patrick would be bombarded with follow-ups
pointing out that area code 917 is not unassigned as Michael wrote but
rather reserved for the next split of area code 212.  But it's been
three or four days now and no one else has said it.

David Tamkin  P. O. Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  +1 708 518 6769
MCI Mail: 426-1818   CIS: 73720,1570   GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  +1 312 693 0591

mshiels@uunet.uu.net (06/01/90)

What happened was I posted a list of 416 DETAILED exchanges and a
North American area code list and a world wide area code list.  WHICH
TOGETHER make up a database file I use for some software.  The last
two were reposted by the Moderator but the first detailed 416 list has
been posted before so he didn't post it.

HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (06/02/90)

Jim Breen <rdt139z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> writes, quoting our Moderator:

>[ lots of country codes deleted  ]
>>     974-    Qatar			976-    Mongolia
>>     977-    Nepal			98-     Iran

>> [Moderator's Note: The above are always prefaced with either 011 (for
>                                   ******

>Patrick, Patrick! PLEASE remember that your group is read all over the
>world. Your comment above is true for callers in the USA, and
>practically nowhere else. International access codes differ from

Similarly, Patrick, I really think that with respect to the list of US
area codes you posted, writing them all as "1-XXX" was inappropriate.
Aside from the fact the the "1" is an access code, and not part of the
phone number, it _certainly_ is the wrong access code for most parts
of the world.

To draw an analogy, that would be like saying that your e-mail address
for the archives is "FTP LOGIN anonymous/guest lcs.mit.edu."  That may
be what one user types to get to them, but the FTP LOGIN
ANONYMOUS/GUEST is not part of the internet node.  Of course, almost
everyone seems to treat the access code as if it were part of the
phone number, but that doesn't make it accurate.

[Moderator's Note: The 1- designation was in the list when it was
forwarded to me. As the compiler of that list already pointed out, it
was intended for a specific application on his computer. You are
correct that the 1- is not technically part of the phone number, but
there is a certain USA bias in this Digest, with between 85-90 percent
of our readers being in this country. Many articles here will be
phrased for the US readers, with no offense intended to others; it is
impossible to cover all possibilities all the time.  PT]

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (06/03/90)

In article <8584@accuvax.nwu.edu> HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu writes:

>Similarly, Patrick, I really think that with respect to the list of US
>area codes you posted, writing them all as "1-XXX" was inappropriate.
>Aside from the fact the the "1" is an access code, and not part of the
>phone number, it _certainly_ is the wrong access code for most parts
>of the world.

Not nearly as inappropriate as you seem to want to make out.  Aside
from the simple defense Patrick offered (that's the way it was sent to
him), there is also the fact that you are just plain dead wrong when
you say "it _certainly_ is the wrong access code for most parts of the
world."  No, it _certainly_ is the RIGHT access code for the ENTIRE
world.  Additional access codes may be required ahead of it, but no
matter where you go in the world, "1" is the access code for the U.S.

You could, with equal validity, say that the city code for Amsterdam
is +31-20.

Linc Madison  =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

"Robert M. Hamer" <HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu> (06/04/90)

On Sun, 3 Jun 90 03:29:38 PDT Linc Madison <rmadison@euler.berkeley.
edu> writes:

(With respect to whether "1+" is part of the phone number (in this case,
the area code) or not:

>you say "it _certainly_ is the wrong access code for most parts of the
>world."  No, it _certainly_ is the RIGHT access code for the ENTIRE
>world.  Additional access codes may be required ahead of it, but no
>matter where you go in the world, "1" is the access code for the U.S.

I really am not sure this is worth going on about, because I don't
know if the rest of the Digest is interested in the topic or not,
but...  The point is that the "1+" is an access code, and not part of
the phone number.  In the US or elsewhere.  Actually, when I use my
Sprint FON card, a "1+" never plays a role in the dialing: it seems to
be "0+"; I don't know about other calling/credit cards.

And when I call from a hotel, using whatever rip-off system the hotel
has (Yes, I know, but my company will cheerfully pay large phone bills
billed to the hotel room, but has trouble with me telling them that I
called using my own Sprint card) as often as not, I dial "8+" or some
such code, getting me direct access to an LD trunk, from which I dial
the area code and phone number.  As a matter of fact, as I type this,
it occurs to me that in my office, I dial "8" to get a LD dial tone,
and then I dial just the area code, no "1+".

The point I am trying to make is that what we dial is divided into
access codes and phone number, and they are not one and the same.  We
ought to be clearer about stating what the phone number is when we
claim that what we are giving out is the phone number.

When I first started using the Internet, I had a terrible time
guessing what part of the From: or Reply-to: field was indeed the
actual user@node, and what was some sort of routing information the
various intermediate mailers had stuck on in an effort to provide me
with something that would work, even if much of it turned out to be
unnecessary.

Again, it may not be worth it to start a thread on it, but I would
assert that the "1+" is an access code, and the area code does not
include it, and neither does the phone number.

Bob Goudreau <goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com> (06/06/90)

In article <8653@accuvax.nwu.edu>, HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M.
Hamer) writes:

>  No, it _certainly_ is the RIGHT access code for the ENTIRE
> >world.  Additional access codes may be required ahead of it, but no
> >matter where you go in the world, "1" is the access code for the U.S.

> I really am not sure this is worth going on about, because I don't
> know if the rest of the Digest is interested in the topic or not,
> but...  The point is that the "1+" is an access code, and not part of
> the phone number.  In the US or elsewhere.  Actually, when I use my
> Sprint FON card, a "1+" never plays a role in the dialing: it seems to
> be "0+"; I don't know about other calling/credit cards.

> Again, it may not be worth it to start a thread on it, but I would
> assert that the "1+" is an access code, and the area code does not
> include it, and neither does the phone number.

No, you're completely missing his point: the "1" is INDEED part of
every phone number in the US, because the country code for the North
American Numbering Plan (US, Canada, much of Caribbean) is "1".  This
country code is not to be confused with the intra-NANP access code for
direct-dialed inter-area-code calls, which also happens to be "1" in
most areas of the NANP.  (In some, it's the null string, but that will
have to change in a few years with the advent of NXX area codes.)  But
in all direct-dialed calls into the NANP from outside of the NANP, the
country code is required.  In particular, the string "1" must be
dialed after the international access code (which varies from country
to country; many countries use "00") and before the area code and
local number.

So it's certainly valid to state that the ordered pair, say, "+1 802"
identifies the area code for Vermont, just as it's correct to note
that "+44 71" identifies the area code for inner London.

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
USA