[comp.dcom.telecom] "NANP codes" AND "I Want to Dial the Area Code on a Local Call"

John Slater <johns@happy.uk.sun.com> (06/06/90)

In a perfect world I could dial "+44 81 676 XXXX" to reach my number
in London from *anywhere* in the world, including the UK (where +
means 010). Similarly it would be nice to be able to dial 011 1 415
XXX XXXX to reach San Francisco from anywhere in the US.

I was originally going to post this with lots of ":-)", but seriously
though folks, why should it be difficult with modern switches?

Just a thought.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick office

martin@bellcore.bellcore.com> (06/07/90)

In article <8733@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Slater <johns@happy.uk.sun.com> writes:

>In a perfect world I could dial "+44 81 676 XXXX" to reach my number
>in London from *anywhere* in the world, including the UK (where +
>means 010). Similarly it would be nice to be able to dial 011 1 415
>XXX XXXX to reach San Francisco from anywhere in the US.

>I was originally going to post this with lots of ":-)", but seriously
>though folks, why should it be difficult with modern switches?

Actually, BT are kind of doing this now with the London area split.
In an exchange with old mechanical directors, when you dialled '0',
you would be connected to a register which would first pulse out the
code to get you to the outgoing STD center, then just repeat the
digits after the '0' to the STD center.  With the 071/081 split, this
would put an unworkable amount of traffic through the STD centers.

What has actually happend is that all director echanges in London have
processor controlled directors.  (I used to write software for these
beasts, but that's another story!)  If you dial '0', the director
looks at the following digits to see if the call is going to the other
London area.  If it is, the call is routed over the director area's
tandem network, just as if you were calling to your own part of
London.  Of course if the call is destined to go to another part of
the country, it is routed to the outgoing std center just as it always
was.

Martin Harriss