[comp.dcom.telecom] Licenses for Television in the UK

johns@happy.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (06/04/90)

In article <8505@accuvax.nwu.edu>, nigel.allen@f438.n250.z1.
fidonet.org writes:

>the operations of the British Broadcasting Corporation were
>supported, at least in part, by a license fee imposed on television
>sets and possibly on radios as well.

This is still the case. In fact the BBC is funded entirely by this
method (apart from a small income from overseas programme sales {yes,
that's how we British spell "program" when it's other that the
computer sort}, merchandising and so on).  Radio licenses were
abolished a long time ago (in the 1950's or 1960's, I think), as they
were too difficult and expensive to collect.

Television licenses cost (if memory serves) 71 pounds per year for
colour, and about 20 pounds for monochrome. There is a derisory
discount of 1.25 pounds for blind people on each of these figures.

Evasion is widespread, and personally I am deeply cynical about the
efficacy or even the existence of detector vans (I've never seen one).
I believe the authorities rely largely on non-renewed licences to
catch defaulters.

The money funds the BBC's two national television channels, including
local television opt-outs, *and* all its radio services - 4 national
services (5 soon) and numerous local stations. The BBC external
services, including the World Service and all the foreign language
services, are funded by the government, but are run by the BBC and are
editorially impartial (really. It works. Somehow she manages to keep
her hands away from it ...).

I thought you might be interested in a little more detail.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems, Gatwick, UK

martin@bellcore.bellcore.com> (06/05/90)

In article <8658@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Slater <johns@happy.uk.sun.com>
writes:

>Evasion is widespread, and personally I am deeply cynical about the
>efficacy or even the existence of detector vans (I've never seen one).
>I believe the authorities rely largely on non-renewed licences to
>catch defaulters.

Oh, the detector vans do exist - I've seen them, and read about them
in the telecom press.  But you're also right about using non-renewal
records to catch people.  This is what happens:

They (who *is* they these days? I don't thing it's BT) will target an
area of the country where they want to do some enforcement.  The
detector vans are sent there, and there is a local publicity campaign
sometime before the event.  The non-renewal records are consulted, and
the detector vans are sent by the houses of people who have not
renewed.  If a television is found operating there, the owner receives
a knock on the door.

I believe the idea is to scare the excrement out of people by
publicizing the enforcement campaign before sending the vans in.  I
bet it costs more than 71 quid to prosecute someone.

Martin Harriss (ex brit)
martin@cellar.bae.bellcore.com

Mike Bell <mb@sparrms.ists.ca> (06/06/90)

johns@happy.uk.sun.com (John Slater) writes:

>Evasion is widespread, and personally I am deeply cynical about the
>efficacy or even the existence of detector vans (I've never seen one).
>I believe the authorities rely largely on non-renewed licenses to
>catch defaulters.

Before all UK readers fail to renew their TV licenses, I can confirm
that TV detector vans do exist - I visited one on display at the East
of England show two years ago. The equipment inside looked about 1960
vintage.  The operator seemed rather unknowledgeable about the
principle of operation, but from what I surmised it is identical to
the methods described by Peter Wright in "Spycatcher" for identifying
enemy receivers listening to a particular frequency - ie. blip the
transmitter frequency and correlate it with secondary emissions on
other frequencies.

(Note that this distinguishes between a TV being used with a VCR and a
TV watching live transmissions - a license used not to be required for
the former, although I'm not sure if this is still the case).

The TV detector van gets fairly good range information from this
source. The antenna can be rotated to give bearing - but it wasn't
clear if it could be adjusted to give elevation.

The operator is given list of houses in the area which do not have TV
licenses from which to start...

Even if the equipment does not work, it is often reported that large
numbers of TV licenses are suddenly applied for in areas where it is
publicized that the vans are operating!

Mike Bell -- <mb@sparrms.ists.ca>

John Slater <johns@happy.uk.sun.com> (06/06/90)

In article <8677@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cellar!martin@bellcore.bellcore.com
(Martin Harriss) writes:

>I believe the idea is to scare the excrement out of people by
>publicizing the enforcement campaign before sending the vans in.  I
>bet it costs more than 71 quid to prosecute someone.

Yes, but what about the (up to) 400 pound fine when they're prosecuted?

John

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.ruu.nl> (06/06/90)

In article <8677@accuvax.nwu.edu>, cellar!martin@bellcore (Martin
Harriss) writes:

|They (who *is* they these days? I don't thing it's BT) will target an
|area of the country where they want to do some enforcement.  The
|detector vans are sent there, and there is a local publicity campaign
|sometime before the event.  The non-renewal records are consulted, and
|the detector vans are sent by the houses of people who have not
|renewed.  If a television is found operating there, the owner receives
|a knock on the door.

In the Netherlands we have the same system. A few years ago there was
an April Fools joke on the TV where they told that a new system was
invented to detect non-licenced TV's by their radiation. The only way
to prevent detection was to wrap your TV in alumin(i)um foil. Guess
what happened.

Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31-30-531806   Uucp:   uunet!mcsun!ruuinf!piet
Telefax:   +31-30-513791   Internet:  piet@cs.ruu.nl   (*`Pete')

johns@happy.uk.sun.com (John Slater) (06/07/90)

In article <8716@accuvax.nwu.edu>, mb@sparrms.ists.ca (Mike Bell)
writes:

>(Note that this distinguishes between a TV being used with a VCR and a
>TV watching live transmissions - a license used not to be required for
>the former, although I'm not sure if this is still the case).

As I understand the situation, an ordinary TV licence is required if a
tuner for receiving terrestrial transmissions is present is the
system.  You do *not* need a licence if you have a tuner-less TV (e.g.
a computer monitor with RGB or composite input) hooked up to a
tuner-less VCR (e.g. a camcorder or a playback-only model - most
recording models have their own tuners) or to a satellite receiver, or
of course to a computer. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong about
this.

You used to need a special licence for satellite reception for a
once-only fee of ten pounds ("non-recurring charge" ??? :-), but I
think they got rid of that.

John Slater
Sun Microsystems UK, Gatwick Office

Andy Rabagliati <andyr@inmos.com> (06/08/90)

A program in the UK (Not the Nine O'clock News ?) once did a spoof
on TV Licence payment :-

The program stopped after five minutes, and a message was put on the
screen to the effect that this television was found not to have a
licence.

Until this was rectified the television would not work.  The phone
number of the BBC collection service was left on the screen. It stayed
this way for five minutes (!!).

The BBC was deluged with calls, (I'm sorry, I forgot, please switch it
on again...)

Cheers,

Andy.