[comp.dcom.telecom] Online Access to Library Card Catalog

Jon Zeeff <zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> (05/31/90)

In the "for what it's worth" department, the U of Michigan's card
catalog is available online (for free).  You can call (313) 764-4800
(2400 bps) or telnet to hermes.merit.edu.  Enter "MIRLYN" as the Which
Host? prompt and follow the directions.  It can be quite helpful when
you are searching for a book (by keyword, author or title).

Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

PMW1@psuvm.psu.edu (Peter Weiss) (05/31/90)

In article <8425@accuvax.nwu.edu>, zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon
Zeeff) says:

>In the "for what it's worth" department, the U of Michigan's card
>catalog is available online (for free).

There is a file stored on a LISTSERV@UNMVM.bitnet (aka UNMVM.UNM.EDU)
called INTERNET LIBRARY.  Enter as the body of text in the RFC822 mail

         GET INTERNET LIBRARY

This is a comprehensive listing of Internet-accessible libraries.

Peter M.  Weiss | 31 Shields Bldg | University Park, PA USA 16802

sec@uunet.uu.net (Stephen E. Collins) (06/01/90)

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

>In the "for what it's worth" department, the U of Michigan's card
>catalog is available online (for free).

The University of Minnesota Card Catalog is also on-line, at internet
address lumina.lib.umn.edu.

I'd be most interested in learning of any other on-line card catalogs,
and I'd like to know if the Libary of Congress is on the internet.

Stephen E. Collins
University of Minnesota Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu  |  sec@umnacvx.bitnet  |   FAX: 625-6817

pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Peter J. Dotzauer) (06/01/90)

Zeeff) writes:

>catalog is available online (for free).  You can call (313) 764-4800
>(2400 bps) or telnet to hermes.merit.edu.  Enter "MIRLYN" as the Which

And so are numerous other library catalogs. An overview is given in
the file 'internet libraries', obtainable from listserv@unmvm (bitnet).

Peter Dotzauer, Analyt.Cart.& GIS, Dept.of Geogr., OSU, Columbus, OH 43210-1361
    TEL +1 614 292 1357  FAX +1 614 292 6213  FIDO 1:226/330  CCnet mapvxa::pjd
      INTERNET pjd+@osu.edu  or  pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu    [128.146.1.5]
        BITNET pjd@ohstvmb       UUCP ...!osu-cis!hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu!pjd

billy@cs.utexas.edu (06/07/90)

In article <8498@accuvax.nwu.edu>, pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
(Peter J. Dotzauer) writes:

> And so are numerous other library catalogs. An overview is given in
> the file 'internet libraries', obtainable from listserv@unmvm (bitnet).

Another list (with possibly a little different information) is
available via anonymous FTP on the node vaxb.acs.unt.edu.  The file is
called LIBRARIES.TXT.  It is updated two or three times yearly.

Billy Barron                  Bitnet : BILLY@UNTVAX
VAX system manager            THENET : NTVAX::BILLY
University of North Texas   Internet : billy@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
                                SPAN : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAX::BILLY

Adam M Gaffin <adamg@world.std.com> (06/08/90)

For those who don't have access to telnet, I have a list of university
libraries in the Boston area that allow dial-in access to their
catalog systems. E-mail me if you'd like a copy.

Adam Gaffin    Middlesex News, Framingham, Mass.
adamg@world.std.com    Voice: (508) 626-3968
Fred the Middlesex News Computer: (508) 872-8561