[comp.dcom.telecom] 10-NYT and 10-NJB

jeffj@uunet.uu.net (Jeff Jonas) (05/24/90)

I've seen ads in the PATH trains for the "New York Connection" where
NY-NJ calls are handled via the local telco by dialing "NJB" or "NYT"
prefixes.  Would someone please elaborate?

1) A number to call for information ...
	(my local rep didn't know what I was talking about)

2) The EXACT name of the program (so I can ask for the right thing) ...

3) Why I can't get it here in Ulster county ...

4) How the local telco got a waiver to give long distance service ...

kindred@cs.rochester.edu (David L Kindred (Dave)) (05/30/90)

In article <8301@accuvax.nwu.edu> synsys!jeffj@uunet.uu.net (Jeff
Jonas) writes:

>I've seen ads in the PATH trains for the "New York Connection" where
>NY-NJ calls are handled via the local telco by dialing "NJB" or "NYT"
>prefixes.  Would someone please elaborate?

I'll try, see below.

>   1) A number to call for information ...
>   (my local rep didn't know what I was talking about)

If by local you mean Ulster County, they wouldn't, see below.

>   2) The EXACT name of the program (so I can ask for the right thing) ...

Not sure...

>   3) Why I can't get it here in Ulster county ...

You're too far from the NJ/NY Border, see below.

>   4) How the local telco got a waiver to give long distance service ...

It's not really "Long Distance" service.  New Jersey Bell and Bell of
PA offer the same service in Philadelphia County PA and Burlington,
Camden, and maybe Mercer Counties NJ.  The service area is what would
be considered "Local" if indeed "Local" and "Long Distance" were based
on Geography and not Political and historical boundries.  For this
reason, the NY/NJ service is restricted to New York City and the
adjacent counties in NJ only.  As far as the exact nature of the
tariffs, I suspect it's similiar to the rules that govern any "Local"
Inter-LATA service.  Since I don't know exactly, I would appreciate
the answer to this question myself.

EMail: kindred@telesci.UUCP (...!princeton!pyrnj!telesci!kindred)
CI$: 72456,3226 (72456.3226@compuserve.com)
Phone: +1 609 866 1000 x222
Snail: TeleSciences C O Systems, 351 New Albany Rd, Moorestown, NJ 08057-1177

"John R. Levine" <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> (06/04/90)

In article <8544@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>>   4) How the local telco got a waiver to give long distance service ...

>It's not really "Long Distance" service.  New Jersey Bell and Bell of
>PA offer the same service in Philadelphia County PA and Burlington,
>Camden, and maybe Mercer Counties NJ.

Au contraire, to the best of my knowledge it has never been a local
call from New Jersey to New York across the Hudson nor from New Jersey
to Philadelphia across the Delaware, even though the distances
involved are in both cases only a mile or so.  (No wonder Franklin
called New Jersey "a keg tapped at both ends.")  It was and is a local
call across the Delaware a few miles north of Philadelphia between New
Hope PA and Lambertville NJ.  Don't ask me why.

My recollection is that the telephone networks across the two rivers
were such a logistical nightmare that it was technically infeasable to
partition them and route all the traffic to LD carriers between the
time the Bell breakup was announced and the time it became effective.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

DREUBEN@eagle.wesleyan.edu) (DOUGLAS SCOTT REUBEN) (06/06/90)

Right after Divestiture, and for some time afterwards, New York
Telephone's inserts in their monthly phone bills (they call it
"Hello") stated that there is a "special transit corridor" between New
York City and Northern New Jersey.

The insert said that all NON-equal access customers, ie, people in
older exchanges who could not get equal access, would have all their
calls to Northern New Jersey routed over New York Telephone via the
"special transit corridor", while those who did have equal access
would have their long distance company handle these calls.

Later on, during 1987, they started promoting the use of "10NYT", and
New Jersey Bell the use of "10NJB". Then, in 1989, New York Telephone
sent us a letter claiming to be able to save us money if we make over
$50 worth of calls to north Jersey via a long distance company, and
switched to NYT. It was sort of a WATS line to north Jersey, but from
what I gather they just program the switch to direct all calls to
north Jersey made from your phone to use New York Tel instead of AT&T.
I'm not sure how this actually works, so if anyone is interested, call
NY Tel. I'm sure they'd be glad to talk to you about it! :-)

Interestingly, from New York to New Jersey, using 10NYT will only work
as a 1+ call. IE, you can call from 212-686 to 201-322 by dialing
10NYT-1-201-322-9950. You can't dial a calling card call this way,
however, and must use AT&T for such a call. (And pay a $.80 rather
than a $.30 cent surcharge.) Moreover, you can't "sequence call" to
New Jersey either, ie, you can't make a call from 212-686 to 212-353
via a calling card, then press the "#" sign to make a new call, and
then call New Jersey 201-322.

BUT, from New Jersey, you CAN do this. You can make calling card calls
anywhere within the north Jersey LATA, as well as to New York City
(212/718).

Wonder why New York Tel. won't allow this as well ... They could make a
lot of money from locations such as Penn Station or the Port Authority
Bus terminal, both of which are commuter stops for the heavy
trans-Hudson traffic.

Doug

dreuben@eagle.wesleyan.edu
dreuben@wesleyan.bitnet
(and just plain old "dreuben" to locals...!  :-)  )

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (06/08/90)

John R. Levine <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> writes:

>It was and is a local
>call across the Delaware a few miles north of Philadelphia between New
>Hope PA and Lambertville NJ.  Don't ask me why.

New Hope (Pa.) and Lambertville (NJ) are upstream of Trenton, and thus
not THAT close to Philadelphia.  The furthest south along the Delaware
River where calls across the river are local is at Morrisville (Pa.,
still toll from Phila.) and Trenton (NJ).