[comp.dcom.telecom] NPA 917 to Serve both Bronx and DID's in Manhattan

Edward_Greenberg@cso.3mail.3com.com (06/06/90)

According to the {Wall Street Journal} (5 June 90, Page A8) NYNEX has
filed a plan with the New York State PSC to introduce Area Code 917.
This will service customers in the Bronx, but also all pagers and
cellular phones currently in the 212 area in New York City
(Manhattan.)

The implications of this are interesting.  If, for example, I have a
pager company with equipment located in Manhattan, will I have to pay
mileage to get my DID trunks in from the Bronx, or will it all be
transparent?

                 -edg

amb@cs.columbia.edu (Andrew M. Boardman) (06/09/90)

In article <8695@accuvax.nwu.edu> Edward Greenburg wrote:

>The implications of this are interesting.  If, for example, I have a
>pager company with equipment located in Manhattan, will I have to pay
>mileage to get my DID trunks in from the Bronx, or will it all be
>transparent?

The idea from NYT seems to be that DID's in Manhattan will indeed
terminate in Manhattan CO's, and just have the 917 NPA.  Seemingly the
first setup of its kind.

Andrew Boardman
amb@cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!amb  amb%cs.columbia.edu@cuvmb.bitnet