[comp.dcom.telecom] 1A/1E Call Forwarding and Multi-pathing

marc@ttc.info.com (Marc O'Krent) (06/01/90)

We are having an argument with Pac*Bell and can't seem to get the same
answer out of them twice.  No great suprise there.

Here's the background: for some unknown reason, PB has decided that if
you want Centrex you *must* change your phone number.  They have been
refusing to grandfather in existing phone numbers for several months
now.

To console the destroyed business, they filed a provisional tarriff
called "Number Retention Service."  This turns out to be RCF with no
usage charge.  This allows the customer to "keep" their existing
number.  In fact the NRS (aks RCF) service forwards the calls to the
new (possibly hidden) Centrex number assigned to the customer.  The
NRS service costs $50 install for 1-10 paths on the initial order,
$50.00 per path install after initial order, plus $7.00/month/path and
no usage charges (kind gift, wouldn't you say!?).

Now this NRS can get quite expensive if the customer has say 10-20
existing lines and is in a CO where the switch doesn't do multi
pathing on Call Forwarding.  The conversation goes something like,

"You can have Centrex, Mr. Customer, but it will cost you $70-$140
per month to keep your existing number (#lines X cost/path)."

Some older ESS switches will multipath by default.  I thought it was
the 1A and the 1.  I have been told that it is the 1A, 1E and/or the
1.  I have a real customer in a 1E office where it does not work, but
telco is insisting that it does work.

Does anybody out there who might be reading this really know?  I would
certainly appreciate hearing from you.  Trials with DMS and 5ESS show
that multipathing does not exist.

(As a side note, the NRS tarriff is outrageous as far as I'm
concerned, and I would love to get some kind of protest going to force
PB to either revert back to number preservation, or if NRS is required
because of switch technical reasons, or planning, or whatever then PB
should be *required* to charge one monthly fee and give multipathing
as part of the service.  This type of tariff really hurts small
business the most ( <100 lines) ).

MOK

Ken Abrams <kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com> (06/04/90)

In article <8529@accuvax.nwu.edu> Marc O'Krent <marc@ttc.info.com>
writes:

>We are having an argument with Pac*Bell and can't seem to get the same
>answer out of them twice.  No great suprise there.

>Here's the background: for some unknown reason, PB has decided that if
>you want Centrex you *must* change your phone number.  They have been
>refusing to grandfather in existing phone numbers for several months
>now.

>To console the destroyed business, they filed a provisional tarriff
>called "Number Retention Service."  This turns out to be RCF with no
>usage charge.

[More good details deleted]

Although I personally don't agree with a lot of things that PacBell
comes up with, I think their basic decision in this matter was
correct.  The exact way that they implemented the whole package may
cast some doubt as to the underlying motives, however.

 From both the Telco's and the customer's perspective, the only
situation that lends itself well to "grandfathering of numbers" is a
conversion from PBX or DID where the customer already has a sufficient
number of contiguous numbers to accomodate the Centrex.  Creating a
Centrex with numbers scattered all over a prefix (or worse, over
several prefixs) does EVERYONE a disservice in the long run.  It
causes an administrative nightmare for Telco and customer alike.  I
wish I could convince my company that it is bad policy; so far, no
cigar.

On the other side of the coin, it appears that PB has chosen a method
of dealing with the old number that maximizes income rather than
customer satisfaction.  The system you mentioned should be ONE option
for the customer but not the only one.  Other options should be made
available; if this hasn't been done (have you asked?) then that is
most unfortunate.

Rest assured that a properly implemented RCF service DOES allow for
multiple paths in any variety of electronic switch that is in common
use by the BOCs today (1E,1A,5E,DMS,Siemens and I expect others, too).
Note, however, that variable call forwarding (the kind you establish
and remove yourself) does not offer multiple paths in many of the
switches under certain conditions.

Also keep in mind that the whole situation should not result in a
permanent expense to the company.  I would think that most should be
able to change their advertising, stationery, business cards, etc.
over a period of 12 - 24 months and migrate to the new numbers and
eliminate the additional expense.  With a little planning and
forethought, I would think this interval could be shortened to 6
months or less.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@icjapan.info.com> (06/09/90)

In article <8682@accuvax.nwu.edu> Ken Abrams <pallas!kabra437@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

>In article <8529@accuvax.nwu.edu> Marc O'Krent <marc@ttc.info.com>
>writes:

>>for some unknown reason, PB has decided that if
>>you want Centrex you *must* change your phone number.

>Although I personally don't agree with a lot of things that PacBell
>comes up with, I think their basic decision in this matter was
>correct.

I disagree.  We're not talking about some huge corporation that wants
thousands of lines of Centrex.  This even applies to a small business
with two or three lines that wants them converted to Centrex (i.e. so
that they can transfer calls to an off-site voice mail box).

I know it can be done.  I converted my two voice lines to Centrex for
this very reason, and GTE had no problem with letting me keep my same
two numbers.  In fact, if a number change had been required I would
not have signed up for the service.  And though I am not in the habit
of complimenting GTE, I must say that their Centrex is a pretty good
deal.  For $6 per month per line I get most every feature one could
want, including a DISA number.  Other packages are cheaper.  By the
way, this is on a 1AESS.  I wouldn't trust a GTD-5 with my calls.