[comp.dcom.telecom] Cordless Telephone Dies

friedl@uunet.uu.net (05/24/90)

> But where in the world does one get parts [for Panasonic phones]

Parts for Panasonic phones can be ordered from Pacific Coast Parts in
southern CA.  Their number is +1 800 877 2787 (in CA, at least), or +1
213 515 0207.  They are nice to work with and they do return their
phone calls.

"Satisfied customer only" disclaimers apply.

Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

strat@grebyn.com (Robert Stratton) (05/24/90)

Re: Panasonic cordless phones and clicks...

I recently bought a Panasonic cordless for my mother, and was quite
annoyed that while/after dialing a number, I would hear loud clicks
with the pulsing you described for several seconds (up to 20).

After a little scanner experimentation/deduction, it seems that the
clicking is actually the sound of the receiver's scanning mechanism
attempting to find a clear channel. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
stop immediately after finding one. :-(

Have you checked your charger output terminals with a voltmeter? I'd
be interested to hear what you're actually getting from the charger
transformer.

Bob Stratton       | INET: strat@grebyn.com; UUCP: grebyn!strat, well!strat
Stratton Sys.Design| GEnie: R.STRATTON32;    DELPHI: RJSIII
Alexandria, VA     | PSTN: +1 703 765 4335 (H)  +1 703 591 7101 (W)

irv@happym.wa.com (Irving Wolfe) (06/09/90)

Based on my own experience, Panasonic make good phones and answering
machines, good (and attractively priced) small business telephone
systems, and absolutely rotten (full of features but weak and
unreliable) cordless phones.  Welcome to the "snared by Panasonic's
reputation" club.  It sure doesn't extend to cordless phones; even
though their integrated phone/answering machines are probably the best
made, the cordless phones are among the worst!

 Irving Wolfe            irv@happym.wa.com              206/463-9399 ext.101
 Happy Man Corp.   4410 SW Pt. Robinson Road,  Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399
 SOLID VALUE, the investment letter for Benj. Graham's intelligent investors

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (06/10/90)

Irving Wolfe <irv@happym.wa.com> writes:

> Based on my own experience, Panasonic make good phones and answering
> machines, good (and attractively priced) small business telephone
> systems, and absolutely rotten (full of features but weak and
> unreliable) cordless phones.

I'm curious: in what way are they weak and unreliable? I have owned
five Panasonic cordless phones in the past ten years or so and have
found them to be entirely satisfactory. All of them are still in
service (though not necessarily by me). The two that I am still in
possession of are KX-T3900s. One of them has really been beat to sh*t:
dropped, stepped on, inadvertantly thrown across the room (not because
I was mad at it but it rang when I was asleep and I woke up
violently), dropped in the full sink, and dropped in the toilet. It
works as well as the day it was purchased, a little over a year ago.

How well does it work? Its audio quality is a shade inferior to an
AT&T 5500 that I also own, but has considerably more range. Standing
next to the base units the AT&T beats the Panasonic. But get about
twenty feet away and the AT&T starts deteriorating and at about 40
feet the Panasonic (whose audio quality seems to remain more constant
with increasing distance) surpasses the AT&T in audio quality.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !