[comp.dcom.telecom] Baud per Hertz

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (06/06/90)

In article <8683@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

>...(Pushing a 7 baud signal through a 5 Hz pipe is
>quite good!  The theoretical maximum is 2 baud/Hz: one state for each
>half-cycle of bandwidth.)...

I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.
For real phase discriminators and real lines there certainly are
limits, but in theory you could shift each half cycle by as fine an
increment as you could measure ... I guess Heisenberg limits that
somewhere, but not for a long time.

Still, in the real world 7 baud on 5 Hz is very good!

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
 ..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 or  HWT@BNR.CA

cdc@uafhp.uark.edu (C. D. Covington) (06/07/90)

In article <8731@accuvax.nwu.edu>, bnrgate!.bnr.ca!hwt@uunet.uu.net
(Henry Troup) writes:

> In article <8683@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

> >...(Pushing a 7 baud signal through a 5 Hz pipe is
> >quite good!  The theoretical maximum is 2 baud/Hz: one state for each
> >half-cycle of bandwidth.)...

> I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.

   Unlimited bandwidth if there is no noise.  We do not have that
privilege on analog lines.  Theoretical maximum rate of error free
information interchange is limited by signal to noise ratio of the
connecting channel.

   7 baud in 5 Hz is a conclusion based on assumed SNR.

C. David Covington (WA5TGF)  cdc@uafhcx.uark.edu     (501) 575-6583
Asst Prof, Elec Eng          Univ of Arkansas        Fayetteville, AR 72701

peterd@uunet.uu.net> (06/07/90)

bnrgate!.bnr.ca!hwt@uunet.uu.net (Henry Troup) writes:

>In article <8683@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

>>...(Pushing a 7 baud signal through a 5 Hz pipe is
>>quite good!  The theoretical maximum is 2 baud/Hz: one state for each
>>half-cycle of bandwidth.)...

>I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.
>For real phase discriminators and real lines there certainly are
>limits, but in theory you could shift each half cycle by as fine an
>increment as you could measure ... I guess Heisenberg limits that
>somewhere, but not for a long time.

You can encode multiple bits per baud with amplitude and phase shift
keying, and in fact every modem above 300 bits per second does so.
The only limit here is Shannon's limit - bits/sec < 2*f*log2(S/N)
where S is the signal power, N is the noise power, and f is the
bandwidth.

However, a baud is not a bit. By the Nyquist theorem, you can only get
2f bauds per second. In practice high-speed modems such as V.32 run at
about 2500-3000 bauds/sec over lines with a 3000Hz bandwidth.

>Still, in the real world 7 baud on 5 Hz is very good!

9600bps over 3000 Hz is a good deal better, and is quite common.

				Peter Desnoyers

Norman Yarvin <yarvin-norman@cs.yale.edu> (06/08/90)

In article <8731@accuvax.nwu.edu> Henry Troup <bnrgate!bwdlh490.
bnr.ca!hwt@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.
>For real phase discriminators and real lines there certainly are
>limits, but in theory you could shift each half cycle by as fine an
>increment as you could measure.

That would expand the frequency range of your signal.  Actually
staying within a bandwidth limit is not so easy; a series of pieces of
2000 Hz tones do not make a 2000 Hz tone.

rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (06/08/90)

In article <8731@accuvax.nwu.edu> Henry Troup <bnrgate!bwdlh490.
bnr.ca!hwt@uunet.uu.net> writes:

| In article <8683@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

| >...(Pushing a 7 baud signal through a 5 Hz pipe is
| >quite good!  The theoretical maximum is 2 baud/Hz: one state for each
| >half-cycle of bandwidth.)...
| I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.
| For real phase discriminators and real lines there certainly are
| limits, but in theory you could shift each half cycle by as fine an
| increment as you could measure ... I guess Heisenberg limits that
| somewhere, but not for a long time.

Please read what I said again: the theoretical limit is 2 *BAUD*/Hz
(the Nyquist limit), not two bits/Hz. And since Hertz == cycles per
second, your next statement, "you could shift each half cycle",
confirms this.  "Baud" == "symbols/second" == "state changes/second".
So if one changes something on each half-cycle, that *is* 2 Baud/Hz,
just as I said.

Now what you really seem to be talking about when you say "by as fine
an increment as you could measure" is how many states you can
differentiate from each other, or how big your symbol alphabet is. And
the limit there is not Heisenberg, particularly, but Shannon. The
channel (or system) noise which is added to the signal puts an upper
limit on how many states you can distinguish.

Whatever the method of modulation -- phase, amplitude, frequency -- at
some point in the receiver you will eventually need to decide which of
your finite set of states (symbols) to assign to the actual current
analog value of the received signal. The circuit for this is an
analog-to-digital converter (A/D), also called a quantizer or
"slicer". For each signaling interval (the length of which is
1/Baud_rate) you will get one digitized sample which purports to name
which symbol was sent during that interval. How many bits it takes to
name all the states is how many bits per symbol you have. And bits per
symbol times Baud rate is bits per second.

So *of course* if your phase discriminators (A/D's) are perfect, and
there is zero noise, you can discriminate as many distinct states as
you like, and send as many bits per symbol as you like, and therefore
as many bits-per-second per Hertz of bandwidth.

But real channels have noise -- they are *not* perfect, thus your
measurements will not be, either. And the theoretical limit to how
many different phases (or whatever) you can use effectively is just
the Shannon limit:

	C = W * log2(SNR + 1)		[Page 26 in reference given below]

The fundamental "channel capacity" C -- the upper limit on the number
of bits per second you can push through a channel with an error rate
"as low as you like" assuming you use a coding scheme that is "good
enough" -- is the bandwidth "W" in Hertz times the logarithm base-2 of
the signal-to-noise ratio SNR -- the *power* ratio (energy per time or
energy per bit) -- plus one.

The Nyquist theorem says that with perfect A/D's [which we actually
can come quite close to these days, at least as far as voice-grade
modems care] we can get all the information from a band-limited signal
by sampling at a Baud rate B = 2 * W (which is the same as your "each
half cycle", above), so if you send R bits/symbol we can equate C = R
* B, which gives:

	C = R * B = (B/2) * log2 (SNR + 1)

Simplifying, the maximum useful bits/symbol is:

	R = log2(SNR + 1) / 2		[Page 40 in reference given below]

This says if you have a signal/noise power ratio of 255 = 24.1dB
(which is a *voltage* ratio of just under 16), and you have a perfect
modulation/demodulation method and a perfect [actually, good enough]
error-correcting coding scheme, you can send 4 bits/symbol or 8 bps/Hz
of bandwidth. [For those who care about such details, this is ~15 dB
"Eb/N0", that is, energy per bit divided by noise power density per
Hertz.]

But in practice, modulation methods such as phase-shift modulation
(PSK) are *not* ideal, they "waste information". I don't have tables
for 16 bps/Hz, but I have a chart for coherent PSK that goes up to 10
bps/Hz [Ref: Fig 1.7].  In order to achieve a bit error rate of 1 in
10**5 (no error-correction code), you need the following SNRs (plus or
minus a few tenths of a dB for my chart-reading error):

                                                       Overall     Shannon
# of phases     bits/symbol  bps/Hz   Eb/N0 (dB)       SNR (dB)    Limit (dB)

 2 (0/180 deg)     1		2	 9.5		 9.5         0.0
 4 (0/90/180/270)  2		4	10.0		13.0         4.8
 8 (0/45/90/...)   3		6	14.0            18.8         8.5
16 (0/22.5/45...)  4		8	18.8            24.8        11.8
32 (0/11.25/...)   5	       10	23.8            30.8        14.9

As you can see, multi-phase coherent PSK is roughly 10dB worse than
the Shannon limit, and is worse off at the higher bits/symbol end
(although asymptotically is within a constant factor of the Shannon
limit [Ref: p.41]).  The best way to use PSK seems to be with four
phases, where the excess loss is "only" 8.2dB, which is probably why
this version (a.k.a. QPSK) is quite popular in modems. Most higher
bit-rate modems use a combination of amplitude and phase modulation
(often called "QAM" whether or not the phase-modulation is really
"quadrature"), which gives better performance than either AM or PSK
alone.

[Reference: Michelson & Levesque, "Error-Control Techniques For
Digital Communication" (Wiley-Interscience 1985), pp.26-41.  Since
Figure 1.7 actually graphed Eb/N0 versus PsubM, the *symbol* error
rate, I had to extrapolate all the curves (except M=2) down below the
chart to get an Eb/N0 corresponding to a 1.0e-5 *bit* error rate. This
is the source of much of the "chart-reading error" mentioned above.]

In article <8772@accuvax.nwu.edu> codex!peterd@uunet.uu.net (Peter
Desnoyers) writes:

| However, a baud is not a bit. By the Nyquist theorem, you can only get
| 2f bauds per second. In practice high-speed modems such as V.32 run at
| about 2500-3000 bauds/sec over lines with a 3000Hz bandwidth.

| >Still, in the real world 7 baud on 5 Hz is very good!

| 9600bps over 3000 Hz is a good deal better, and is quite common.

Oops! You fell in the trap, too! Those 9600 b/s modems use 4
bit/symbol modulation, and so actually run at 2400 baud. And 2400 baud
on 2700 Hz (3000 - 300) is not as good as 7 baud on 5 Hz.

On clean lines the Telebit will run 6 bits/symbol, so at 7.35 baud
that's 44.1 bits/sec in 5 Hz, or 8.8 bps/Hz. 9600/2700 is a mere 3.6
bps/Hz.

Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.         Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

Desnoyers) writes:

> >Still, in the real world 7 baud on 5 Hz is very good!

> 9600bps over 3000 Hz is a good deal better, and is quite common.

Not really. Those 7 bauds at 6 bits per baud come to 42 bps over 5 Hz.
The highest rate I've heard of over the 3000 Hz band using PEP is something
like 24000 bps, or about 2.5 times as much as V.32. 18000 bps is not
terribly uncommon.

`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180.  <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
@FIN  Dirty words: Zhghnyyl erphefvir vayvar shapgvbaf.

meier@uunet.uu.net (Rolf Meier) (06/08/90)

ca!hwt@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>In article <8683@accuvax.nwu.edu> Rob Warnock <rpw3@sgi.com> writes:

>>...(Pushing a 7 baud signal through a 5 Hz pipe is
>>quite good!  The theoretical maximum is 2 baud/Hz: one state for each
>>half-cycle of bandwidth.)...

>I don't see a theoretical limit, not if you allow phase modulation.
>For real phase discriminators and real lines there certainly are
>limits, but in theory you could shift each half cycle by as fine an
>increment as you could measure ... I guess Heisenberg limits that
>somewhere, but not for a long time.

Not Heisenberg, but Shannon sets the limit.  The theoretical maximum is:

	max bit rate = bandwidth x log(2)(1 + S/N)

	where S/N is the signal to noise ratio
		log(2) is log base 2 (not 0.30103 :-))

For example, using a normal telephone line with a 3 kHz bandwidth and
a 60 dB (1000:1 for the formula) S/N ratio, you can in theory transmit
30,000 bits/sec.  You can use phase, frequency, or amplitude
modulation.  The maximum bit rate is reached when you can no longer
resolve the signal variation due to noise.

Rolf Meier
Mitel Corporation

segal@uunet.uu.net (Gary Segal) (06/11/90)

rpw3%rigden.wpd@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:

[Very in depth and useful analysis of noise and it's effects on analog
signals deleted]

>In article <8772@accuvax.nwu.edu> codex!peterd@uunet.uu.net (Peter
>Desnoyers) writes:

>| However, a baud is not a bit. By the Nyquist theorem, you can only get
>| 2f bauds per second. In practice high-speed modems such as V.32 run at
>| about 2500-3000 bauds/sec over lines with a 3000Hz bandwidth.

>| >Still, in the real world 7 baud on 5 Hz is very good!

>| 9600bps over 3000 Hz is a good deal better, and is quite common.

>Oops! You fell in the trap, too! Those 9600 b/s modems use 4
>bit/symbol modulation, and so actually run at 2400 baud. And 2400 baud
>on 2700 Hz (3000 - 300) is not as good as 7 baud on 5 Hz.

True, V.32 modems can run at 4 bits/baud (16 symbols), but most are
usually run at 5 bits/buad (32 symbols) with trellis coding.  Trellis
coding provides a type of forward error correction (one extra bit for
every four data bits) at a very low level of data transfer.  (Is this
OSI layer 0.5??? :-).  In general, trellis coding gives the modem a
performace gain of about one to two db over the uncoded signal.  Note
that both run at 2400 baud, so that trellis coding sends 12,000 bps,
of which 20% is error correction.

Gary Segal	...!uunet!motcid!segal		+1-708-632-2354
Motorola INC., 1501 W. Shure Drive, Arlington Heights IL, 60004
The opinions expressed above are those of the author, and do not consititue
the opinions of Motorola INC.