[comp.dcom.telecom] Two Cellular Phones with the Same Number

Dave Levenson <dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net> (06/10/90)

In article <8798@accuvax.nwu.edu>, dgc@math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor)
writes:

> A friend of mine wants to have two cellular telephones in two
> different cars with the same telephone number.  Of course, he will use
> only one at a time.  The telco won't set this up for him.  How does he
> do it?

It would be less expensive to use a portable cellular telephone set,
and carry it between the two vehicles.  Most portables have
fixed-mounting arrangements to make them mobile.  But an extra one,
and an extra antenna, so the portable may be fixed-mounted in either
vehicle without time-consuming tool-intensive mechanical work.  It
carries its telephone number with it.

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]

"John R. Covert 10-Jun-1990 1527" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (06/11/90)

>I do remember that it has the capability to store up to 10 ESNs.
>Great for the traveler!

I'm sure you mean up to ten MINs (Mobile Identification Numbers,
a.k.a. telephone numbers).  There's no reason for more than one ESN in
a single device; all multi-NAM (Number Assignment Module) phones I've
seen use the same ESN for all NAMs.

/john