[comp.dcom.telecom] GTD-5 and CLASS

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (06/06/90)

After being soundly taken to task for criticizing the GTD-5, and being
told how state of the art capable it is, I decided to do a little
experimenting. I'm still unimpressed.

As most who participate in this forum know, a prerequisite to CLASS is
SS#7 between participating offices. Without that, the data required
for the handshake necessary for CLASS services cannot be sent. For
well over a year now, all Bay Area COs have been speaking SS#7 between
switches that are capable of it. Presumably, they want to be ready
when the PUC stops picking its teeth.

Actually, what I meant to say was, "All Bay Area COs except the three
in Los Gatos and the one in Morgan Hill." This is, of course, our
token GTE punishment area. (Doesn't everyone have to suffer with GTE
somewhere nearby?) These COs (all GTD-5) speak MF to each other and to
the outside world. No CLASS available here!

What this means to a telephone user, CLASS aside, is that a call from
a point in Los Gatos to a telephone a few blocks away takes NOTICABLY
longer to complete than a call from San Jose to San Francisco, a
distance of about 45 miles. Once again--the wonders of GTD-5.

I have received many kilobytes of material from GTE folks trying to
sell the virtues of GTD-5. But after my little experimentation, I'm
going to invoke my Jackson County, MO heritage: Show me!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dcr0@gte.com (David Robbins) (06/06/90)

 From article <8686@accuvax.nwu.edu>, by john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon):

> I have received many kilobytes of material from GTE folks trying to
> sell the virtues of GTD-5. But after my little experimentation, I'm
> going to invoke my Jackson County, MO heritage: Show me!

It may be that you are complaining about the wrong thing!  If my
information is correct, the GTD-5 itself is quite capable of doing SS7
and CLASS.  However, the operating company that buys the GTD-5 decides
whether or not to make use of its capabilities.  Your experimentation
has shown, quite convincingly, that GTE has not taken advantage of any
of the GTD-5's SS7 capabilities in your area.  This is pure
speculation, but it may be that the GTE operating company has not
worked out any arrangement with Pac*Bell to interconnect the systems
with SS7 (perhaps they haven't even *thought* of doing that ??).

The question here is who to blame for the conditions you describe.  Do
you blame the equipment manufacturer or the equipment operator?
Ultimately, the telephone service you receive depends most heavily
upon the operating company, for it is they who decide what equipment
to buy and which of the equipment's capabilities to offer to their
customers.

I don't feel any compulsion to defend either the GTD-5 or the GTE
operating companies, although I am a GTE employee.  I know nothing
about the commitment of the operating company to provide the service
its customers want.  All I can do is point out that the latest and
greatest switching technology, even if it is in the possession of the
operating company, won't do you any good if the operating company
chooses not to provide you the service.  From a practical point of
view, the technology might as well not exist if you are not permitted
to use it!

If enough customers rag on the telco to provide these neat services,
perhaps they will perceive that there is enough demand for the service
that it will be provided.  And the PUC, as a (supposed) servant of the
public, might be able to apply some pressure (although from what I
know of PUCs, this may or may not ever happen :-)).

Dave Robbins                    GTE Laboratories Incorporated
drobbins@bunny.gte.com          40 Sylvan Rd.
 ...!harvard!bunny!drobbins      Waltham, MA 02254
CYA:  I speak only for myself; GTE may disagree with what I say.

bakerj@ncar.ucar.edu (Jon Baker) (06/07/90)

In article <8686@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> Actually, what I meant to say was, "All Bay Area COs except the three
> in Los Gatos and the one in Morgan Hill." This is, of course, our
> token GTE punishment area. (Doesn't everyone have to suffer with GTE
> somewhere nearby?) These COs (all GTD-5) speak MF to each other and to
> the outside world. No CLASS available here!

Please clarify your point here - are you claiming that CLASS is not
available in the Bay Area?  No argument there.  Are you claiming that
CLASS is not available on the GTD-5?  Argument there.  It is available
on the GTD-5, and has been deployed to, at the least, Santa Barbara
and Downey, for about ayear now.  It was first offered in the domestic
market on SVR 1631, which was not widely deployed.  Expanded CLASS
features are available on SVR1632, which only recently was standarized
for general deployment throughout GTE.  It should be deployed with
increasing frequency throughout GTE operating areas in California.  As
they say, 'coming soon to a site near you' ...

> I have received many kilobytes of material from GTE folks trying to
> sell the virtues of GTD-5.

Actually, just trying to defend it against scathing and undeserved
criticism.  I have yet to hear a GTD5/GTE bashing that does not apply
equally well to a 5ESS/RBOC.

> But after my little experimentation, I'm
> going to invoke my Jackson County, MO heritage: Show me!

Patience is a virtue ...

Paul V Flynn <pvf@houdi.att.com> (06/07/90)

In article <8722@accuvax.nwu.edu> dcr0@gte.com (David Robbins) writes
(John Higdon):

>Your experimentation
>has shown, quite convincingly, that GTE has not taken advantage of any
>of the GTD-5's SS7 capabilities in your area.  This is pure
>speculation, but it may be that the GTE operating company has not
>worked out any arrangement with Pac*Bell to interconnect the systems
>with SS7 (perhaps they haven't even *thought* of doing that ??).

I don't know how two local exchange carriers such as GTE and Pac*Bell
interconnect their systems with Signaling System 7, but when
interexchange carriers interconnect with local exchange carriers with
SS7, SS7 Network Interconnect is required.  One of the purposes of SS7
Network Interconnect is to perform gateway screening between the two
signaling networks to control the kinds of SS7 messages one carrier
can send into another carrier's network.  That's necessary (among
other reasons) to allay fears that one carrier could inadvertently
bring down someone else's SS7 network.  SS7 Network Interconnect
trials began in the last half of 1989 and are continuing this year.
I'm not directly involved with the SS7 Network Interconnect protocol
or its deployment, but the last I heard, it won't be until 1992 that
SS7 Network Interconnect is deployed widespread throughout the United
States.

It could be that GTE in the Bay Area must wait for SS7 Network
Interconnect before it can interconnect with Pac*Bell.  In the
meantime, if they only have three switches in the area to interconnect
with SS7, some of the CLASS services won't be very useful.  If that is
the case, John Higdon may be suffering from the fact that his local
carrier only serves a small area surrounded by another carrier, rather
from the fact that his local carrier is GTE.

Paul Flynn

Marc O'Krent <marc@ttc.uucp> (06/11/90)

It seems to me that I read sometime ago that GTE has *abandoned* the
GTD5's further development and/or something like decided to go with
the #5's from AT&T.  Some part of this is not coming back correctly,
but perhaps you could clarify.

There's no filing for CLASS by GTE of CA as far as I know.

Marc O'Krent
The Telephone Connection
Internet: marc@ttc.info.com	MCIMail: mokrent
Voice Mail: +1 213 551 9620

bakerj%mcdphx.UUCP@ncar.ucar.edu> (06/13/90)

In article <8861@accuvax.nwu.edu>, marc@ttc.uucp (Marc O'Krent) writes:

> It seems to me that I read sometime ago that GTE has *abandoned* the
> GTD5's further development and/or something like decided to go with
> the #5's from AT&T.  Some part of this is not coming back correctly,
> but perhaps you could clarify.

GTE has abandoned development of ISDN features on the GTD5.  As of
this date, GTE has not completely abandoned all development on the
GTD5.  A small number of new features, and design maintenance,
continue.  GTE is pursuing 'other alternatives' for delivering ISDN to
GTE subscribers.  ONe such alternative is the 5ESS.

 \ /  C r o s s r o a d s C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300-2400,9600 PEP Baud 24 hrs/day
/  \  hplabs!hp-sdd!crash!xroads!bakerj