[comp.dcom.telecom] Cracker/Phreaker Crackdown

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (06/09/90)

is that most people don't know where the FBI's jurisdiction begins or
where the Secret Service's jurisdiction ends.  I had a visit on Friday
afternoon from an FBI agent and it seemed to be mostly reasonable,
except he identified himself as being from a unit that I wouldn't
associate with this sort of investigation.

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

mnemonic@cs.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (06/13/90)

In article <8820@accuvax.nwu.edu> henry@garp.mit.edu writes:

>is that most people don't know where the FBI's jurisdiction begins or
>where the Secret Service's jurisdiction ends.  I had a visit on Friday
>afternoon from an FBI agent and it seemed to be mostly reasonable,
>except he identified himself as being from a unit that I wouldn't
>associate with this sort of investigation.

Secret Service jurisdiction over computer crimes is set out in
18 USC 1030(d):

    The United States Secret Service shall, in addition to any other
    agency having such authority, have the authority to investigate
    offenses under this section. [18 USC 1030 is titled "Fraud and
    related activity in connection with computers.] Such authority
    of the United States Secret Service shall be exercised in
    accordance with an agreement which shall be entered into by the
    Secretary of the Treasury and the Attorney General.

There is a similar provision in 18 USC 1029, which concerns
"Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices."

Mike Godwin, UT Law School
Just another bar-exam nerd
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
(512) 346-4190