[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID and 3AM Phone Calls

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 12-Jun-1990 0932) (06/12/90)

I'm not sure why John Higdon thinks that Caller ID would be more
effective than other SS7 services in preventing his 3AM phone calls.

Call Trace would allow him to take legal action against the caller.

Incoming Call Block would stop the calls.  (For those of you
unfamiliar with Incoming Call Block, you can program up to five
numbers from which you do not wish to receive calls, and you can enter
the last number which called you using a feature code.)  John's 3AM
caller would be told that John was not accepting calls at this time if
he called again.

Caller ID would still cause the phone to ring, and John would still be
rousted out of his sleep.

All the privacy stuff aside, do not forget that the main purpose of
Caller ID is so that the phone company can sell YOUR number to
businesses who want to call you at home in the evening to try to sell
you things.

/john

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/14/90)

In article <8928@accuvax.nwu.edu>, covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R.
Covert  12-Jun-1990 0932) writes:

> I'm not sure why John Higdon thinks that Caller ID would be more
> effective than other SS7 services in preventing his 3AM phone calls.

Here's my solution.  Back in the days when I still had telephone
service at home, I used to have a single Western Electric mechanical
ringer in the living room, with a switch on it.  I turned it off every
night when I went to bed.  The other twelve phones in the house all
had their ringers disconnected.

The problem with SS7 services is that you have to pay for them.

I'm all in favor of universal free Caller-ID with universal free
Caller-ID block.  (Where "free" means everybody has to pay for it.)

ergo@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Isaac Rabinovitch) (06/15/90)

In <8928@accuvax.nwu.edu> covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert)
writes:

>I'm not sure why John Higdon thinks that Caller ID would be more
>effective than other SS7 services in preventing his 3AM phone calls.

>Call Trace would allow him to take legal action against the caller.

Very often, such callers aren't breaking any laws, just being
thoughtless.  There's a certain very popular motel which is
responsible for most of my wrong numbers; it's easy to transform their
number into mine if you reverse two digits and/or confuse a scribbled
seven with a scribble nine.  What's especially vexing is that this
motel (private jacuzzis, oversized beds; you know the kind of place)
attracts some very flaky people who keep dialing my number over and
over, sometimes abusing me for asking them to dial more carefully,
more often hanging up as soon as I answer; in both cases, they often
call me again *immediately*.  I often wish I had some way of
communicating my frustration at these people.

Another time I used to get a lot of calls meant for a Stanford student
who had my number before me.  This guy had quite an enviable social
life, judging from some of the messages left on my answering machine
 -- too bad I couldn't return some of the more interesting calls.