[comp.dcom.telecom] Replacement Battery for AT&T 4400

Curt Squires <CSQUIRES@vm1.spcs.umn.edu> (06/13/90)

I'm looking for a replacement battery for an AT&T model 4400 cordless
phone.  The battery is 3.6v 270 mA (3 cells arranged in pyramid
fashion).  I'd like to find a mfg&model number and/or a place I could
order it by phone. (I haven't actually seen the phone, so I might not
have all the details.)  Thank you..

HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M. Hamer) (06/13/90)

On Tue, 12 Jun 90 18:31:40 CDT Curt Squires <CSQUIRES@vm1.spcs.
umn.edu> writes:

>I'm looking for a replacement battery for an AT&T model 4400 cordless
>phone.  The battery is 3.6v 270 mA (3 cells arranged in pyramid
>fashion).  I'd like to find a mfg&model number and/or a place I could
>order it by phone. (I haven't actually seen the phone, so I might not
>have all the details.)  Thank you..

Having recently had a cordless phone die, and after asking the Digest
what might be the problem, and after having decided that the NiCad
Battery was the problem, I went looking for a replacement.  It is a
Panasonic cordless phone, and used a 3.6v 270 mA replacement.  The
original battery is flat, and consists of three cells, each about the
size of a very thick quarter, shrink-wrapped together in a pyramid
fashion.

I called Panasonic, and they gave me the name of a local electronic
shop that they said carried a replacement.  I went to the shop, and
they did not have a physically identically replacement, but they had a
3.6v 270 mA replacement that had three cylindrical barral-shaped
cells, each about 1 inch long and maybe half an inch thick, shrink-
wrapped together.  They assured me it would fit in the phone even
though it was not physically the same shape as the original.  I bought
it; cost about $12.  It fits.  And works.

Yesterday, I happened to be in an AT&T store, and saw the identical
battary pack for sale at $13.  Its packaging claimed to work in all
AT&T cordless phones.

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (06/13/90)

AT&T sells a replacement battery that seems to fit all 4000 and 5000
series phones.  I got one at my local AT&T phone store, and they are
also available at places like K Mart that carry AT&T phones.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (06/15/90)

In article <8920@accuvax.nwu.edu> HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M.
Hamer) writes:

>Having recently had a cordless phone die, and after asking the Digest
>what might be the problem, and after having decided that the NiCad
>Battery was the problem, I went looking for a replacement.  It is a
>Panasonic cordless phone, and used a 3.6v 270 mA replacement.  The
>original battery is flat, and consists of three cells, each about the
>size of a very thick quarter, shrink-wrapped together in a pyramid
>fashion.

I had a similar problem with my Uniden phone.  The battery pack
consisted of what sounds like the same pyramid configuration of cells.
I couldn't find a replacement, but I *did* find a ni-cad battery at
Radio Shack that I could modify.  The Radio Shack battery was also
three circular cells, but stacked rather than arranged adjacent to
each other.  I ended up cutting the sheath off the stack of cells and
soldering jumpers across their contacts.  Works great!  Now my only
problem is lots and lots of RF noise around my apartment, but that's
another story...

It strikes me that the Radio Shack battery cost considerably less than
the $12 Robert Hamer reports, but I could be having a memory lapse.

Steve King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)