[comp.dcom.telecom] My List of World Wide Codes

mshiels@uunet.uu.net (05/27/90)

    20-     Egypt			210-    (reserved for Morocco)
    211-    (reserved for Morocco)	212-    Morocco
    213-    Algeria			214-    (reserved for Algeria)
    215-    (reserved for Algeria)	216-    Tunisia
    217-    (reserved for Tunisia)	218-    Libya
    219-    (reserved for Libya)	220-    Gambia
    221-    Senegal			222-    Mauritania
    223-    Mali			224-    Guinea
    225-    Cote d'Ivoire	  	226-    Burkina Faso
    227-    Niger			228-    Togolese Republic
    229-    Benin			230-    Mauritius
    231-    Liberia			232-    Sierra Leone
    233-    Ghana			234-    Nigeria
    235-    Chad			236-    Central African Republic
    237-    Cameroon			238-    Cape Verde
    239-    Sao Tome & Principe		240-    Equatorial Guinea
    241-    Gabonese Republic		242-    Congo
    243-    Zaire			244-    Angola
    245-    Guinea-Bissau		246-    Diego-Garcia
    247-    Ascension			248-    Seychelles
    249-    Sudan			250-    Rwandese Republic
    251-    Ethiopia			252-    Somalia
    253-    Djibouti			254-    Kenya
    255-    Tanzania			256-    Uganda
    257-    Burundi			258-    Mozambique
    259-    Zanzibar (Tanzania)		260-    Zambia
    261-    Madagascar			262-    Reunion (French Republic)
    263-    Zimbabwe			264-    Namibia
    265-    Malawi	        	266-    Lesotho
    267-    Botswana    		268-    Swaziland
    269-    Mayotte Island		27-     South Africa
    297-    Aruba			298-    Faroe Islands
    299-    Greenland			30-     Greece
    31-     Netherlands			32-     Belgium
    33-     France, Andorra, Monaco	34-     Spain
    350-    Gibraltar			351-    Portugal
    352-    Luxembourg			353-    Eire (Irish Republic)
    354-    Iceland			355-    Albania
    356-    Malta			357-    Cyprus
    358-    Finland			359-    Bulgaria
    36-     Hungary			37-     East Germany
    38-     Yugoslavia			39-     Italy, San Marino
    40-     Romania			41-     Switzerland, Liechtenstein
    42-     Czechoslovakia		43-     Austria
    44-     United Kingdom		45-     Denmark
    46-     Sweden			47-     Norway
    48-     Poland			49-     West Germany
    500-    Falkland Islands		501-    Belize
    502-    Guatemala			503-    El Salvador
    504-    Honduras			505-    Nicaragua
    506-    Costa Rica			507-    Panama
    508-    St Pierre & Miquelon	509-    Haiti
    51-     Peru			52-     Mexico
    53-     Cuba			54-     Argentina
    55-     Brazil			56-     Chile
    57-     Colombia			58-     Venezuela
    590-    Guadeloupe			591-    Bolivia
    592-    Guyana			593-    Ecuador
    594-    Guiana (French)		95-     Paraguay
    596-    French Antilles		97-     Suriname
    598-    Uruguay (East Republic)	599-    Netherlands Antilles
    60-     Malaysia			61-     Australia
    62-     Indonesia			63-     Philippines
    64-     New Zealand			65-     Singapore
    66-     Thailand			670-    Marianna Islands
    671-    Guam			672-    Christmas, Cocos, Norfolk Is.
    673-    Brunei Darrusalm	        74-     Nauru
    675-    Papua New Guinea		676-    Tonga
    677-    Solomon Islands		678-    Vanuatu
    679-    Fiji Islands		680-    Palau
    681-    Wallis and Fortuna		682-    Cook Islands
    683-    Niue Island			684-    American Samoa
    685-    Western Samoa		686-    Kiribati
    687-    New Caledonia		688-    Tuvalu, Saipan
    689-    French Polynesia		690-    Tokelan
    691-    F.S. of Polynesia		692-    Marshall Islands
    7-      The Soviet Union 		81-     Japan
    82-     South Korea			84-     Vietnam
    850-    North Korea (Democratic Rep)852-    Hong Kong
    853-    Macao			855-    Kampuchea
    856-    Laos			86-     China
    871-    Inmarsat (Atlantic)		872-    Inmarsat (Pacific)
    873-    Inmarsat (Indian)		880-    Bangladesh
    886-    Taiwan			90-     Turkey
    91-     India			92-     Pakistan
    93-     Afghanistan			94-     Sri Lanka
    95-     Burma			960-    Maldives
    961-    Lebanon			962-    Jordan
    963-    Syrian Arab Republic	964-    Iraq
    965-    Kuwait			966-    Saudi Arabia
    967-    Yemen Arab Republic		968-    Oman
    969-    Yemen Democratic Republic	971-    United Arab Emirates
    972-    Israel			73-     Bahrain
    974-    Qatar			976-    Mongolia
    977-    Nepal			98-     Iran

[Moderator's Note: The above are always prefaced with either 011 (for
direct dialing) or 01 (for credit card, collect or third number
billing). Then a city code, comparable to a USA area code, follows the
above in most cases, prior to the actual local number. Countries not
listed above are not dialable; calls for those points are made through
the operator.  PT]

rdt139z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Jim Breen) (05/30/90)

[ lots of country codes deleted  ]
>     974-    Qatar			976-    Mongolia
>     977-    Nepal			98-     Iran

> [Moderator's Note: The above are always prefaced with either 011 (for
                                   ******
> direct dialing) or 01 (for credit card, collect or third number
> billing). Then a city code, comparable to a USA area code, follows the
> above in most cases, prior to the actual local number. Countries not
> listed above are not dialable; calls for those points are made through
> the operator.  PT]

Patrick, Patrick! PLEASE remember that your group is read all over the
world. Your comment above is true for callers in the USA, and
practically nowhere else. International access codes differ from
country to country. For example, in Australia we have 0011 for
ordinary IDD, 0012 for IDD with ring-back prices, 0015 for IDD with
echo disabled, etc. etc.

  _______        Jim Breen (rdt139z@monu6.cc.monash.oz) Dept of Robotics &
  /o\----\\     \O         Digital Technology. Chisholm Inst. of Technology
 /RDT\   /|\   \/|   -:O____/  PO Box 197 Caulfield East VIC 3145 Australia
O-----O        _/_\    /\ /\      (ph) +61 3 573 2552 (fax) +61 3 573 2748

"John R. Covert 30-May-1990 0816" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (05/30/90)

Michael's list was actually not quite as correct or complete as the
official list based on the CCITT Blue Book which I posted in V10#85
back in February.  But since it is substantially complete, I'll not
post that again, and will limit myself to a few comments:

259, though assigned to Zanzibar, is not in use.  Zanzibar is reached
via Tanzania, 255, with city code 54.  This gives us a hint about what
is likely to happen with Yemen.  Since Aden was not diallable from any
known western country, but Yemen was, it is likely that the expansion
of service into the united country will use the Yemen code, but it is
unlikely that the combined country will give up the extra code,
keeping it reserved for future use.  Though we don't know what will
happen with Germany, there is the possibilty that Germany will make
the East German codes diallable as West German codes by prefixing them
with "3" ("30" is currently the only "3" code in use in West Germany,
and is used for Berlin).  But this does not mean that Germany will
give up 37.

Michael lists 269 as Mayotte.  Now we get into how politics affects
the assignment of country codes.  Mayotte is an island in a group of
islands known as the Comoros Islands.  In 1975, the Comoros
unilaterally declared independence from France and formed the Federal
Islamic Republic of the Comoros.  The island of Mayotte voted to
remain part of France, an action which is not recognized by the
Comoros, nor by the United Nations, which tends to look askance at
colonialism, even when the residents indicate that they want to remain
part of a first world country.  Thus the CCITT Blue Book lists the
code as assigned to the Comoros, though, in fact, it is only usable to
reach Mayotte, since the rest of the Comoros have not made any
telephonic progress since separating from France.  (Another example of
politics affecting the assignment of country codes is the fact that
the CCITT does not list the fact that most countries use "886" to
reach Taiwan.  When Taiwan first became diallable, it was dialled
using "86", since it was the U.N. member at the time.  It lost the
code as part of being replaced in the U.N. with PRC representatives.
The PRC has informed the CCITT that "866" has been assigned to Taiwan,
but I would not expect anyone to use that instead of "886".)

Continuing with far-flung parts of France, Michael lists 590 as
Guadeloupe, but 596 as "French Antilles" which is not really correct.
The French Antilles consist of the two French Departments of
Guadeloupe and Martinique.  Unlike Mayotte, which is a territory,
these two departments are as much a part of France as any other
department in metropolitan France.  590 is Guadeloupe, which includes
the French side of St. Martin, the island of St. Barthelemy, the
islande of Marie-Galante, and Guadeloupe itself.  596 is just
Martinique.  There is still six digit dialing between 590 and 596,
though the correct code must be dialled from outside.  BTW, dialling
metropolitan France from these islands is not done by dialling the
international access code "19" and then "33", since the French
dialling pattern uses that sequence followed by another country code
to indicate that you want the French overseas operator for that
country.  Instead, you dial as within France: just "16" and the number
(with the leading "1" for the Paris region).

670 is listed as "Mariana Islands" but is in fact the "Northern
Mariana Islands" including the principal island of Saipan.

Michael's list does not include two assignments that I suspect may not
be used for a while, if ever.  San Marino, though still diallable with
the Italian country code 39 and city code 541 has been assigned its
own code: 295.  And Trinidad and Tobago has been assigned 296,
although the manager of their network planning department has told me
that they have no plans to leave the North American Numbering Plan
area code 809 -- they just asked for the code and got it.

And finally, though not confirmed, Bhutan has reportedly been assigned
the code 975.  A backwards country from both a transportation and
communications standpoint, it is not likely to be diallable soon.

The moderator added a note that Michael's list included only diallable
countries.  In fact, with the exceptions noted above, it included all
countries which have codes assigned, whether diallable or not.  The
only place listed as a political entity in the Britannica 1990 Book of
the Year which does not have a code assigned is Pitcairn Island.

There are a large number of countries not diallable, and, as a reader
from Australia pointed out, the list of diallable countries differs
from country to country.  It's not even the same between the U.S. and
Canada.  For example, Canada (and most of the rest of the world) can
dial Cuba (53), whereas the U.S.  can only dial Guantanamo Bay U.S.
Naval Station (53 99), which is not dialable from anywhere else!  On
the other hand, Canada cannot dial St. Pierre and Miquelon (508) even
though it's only a couple of miles away from the coast, yet most of
the rest of the world can!

The following list of codes includes all of those codes dialable from
the U.S. via the major carriers.  AT&T serves the most countries; but
Sprint makes the appearance of doing so by sending calls to countries
it does not serve via AT&T circuits.  In addition, there are three
places to which AT&T only provides operator service, whereas Sprint
provides direct dial service.  These are indicated in parens.  The
problem is that Sprint has never notified the local operating
companies that these codes should be opened in local central offices;
thus they are not diallable except in a few places (mostly U.S. West)
where the local operating company has decided to put all codes in
CCITT E.163 in, whether anyone serves them or not.  It should also be
noted that AT&T serves every country in the world, although those not
listed are served by operators only, whereas Sprint and other OCCs
only serve diallable countries.  AT&T has announced that dial service
to Mayotte (currently Sprint only) is coming.

20  212 213 216 218  220 221 223 224 225 226 227 228 229
230 231 232 233 234 237 238  241 243 247 248  250 251 253 254 255 256
260 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 (269)  27  297 298 299
30 31 32 33 34 350 351 352 353 354 356 357 358 359
36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509
51 52 5399 54 55 56 57 58
590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599
60 61 62 63 64 65 66
670 671 673 (674) 675 676 (677) 679 684 685 686 687 689 691 692
7
81 82 852 853 86 871 872 873 880 886
90 91 92 94 95 960 962 964 965 966 967 968 971 972 973 974 977 98

And finally, Colin Plumb asks which countries are part of the North
American Intergrated Numbering Plan Area (code 1).  They are:

	Canada, USA including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands,
	Jamaica, Barbados, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Cayman Islands,
	British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, Dominica, Dominican
	Republic, Grenada, Montserrat, St. Christopher and Nevis,
	St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines (Bequia, Mustique,
	Prune (Palm) Island, Union Island), Trinidad and Tobago.

What you will note about this list is that it includes the USA plus
all members of the British Commonwealth in the Caribbean and North
Atlantic.  This definitively (at least for now) answers the question
of why some places are in +1 809 and why some have their own code.

/john

P.S.: Michael's other list indicates that 905 and 706 "were" Mexico.
 From his point of view, outside the U.S., they never were.  From the
U.S. they still are and will be until discontinued in February 1991.

"Peter J. Dotzauer" <pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu> (05/30/90)

In article <8353@accuvax.nwu.edu> "Michael A. Shiels" <tmsoft!mshiels@
uunet.uu.net> writes:

>    66-     Thailand			670-    Marianna Islands
>    687-    New Caledonia		688-    Tuvalu, Saipan

Saipan is a part of the Mariana Islands. Not only that, it comprises
about 90 percent of its population. The rest is mainly on Tinian and
Rota.  Why does Saipan, a part of the Commonwealth of the Mariana
Islands, have an area code together with a relatively distant country
of 9 South Pacific Atolls (Tuvalu), while the rest of the Marianas has
another area code.

>    689-    French Polynesia		690-    Tokelan
                                                ^^^^^^^
Should be Tokelau (a New Zealand territory).

Peter Dotzauer, Analyt.Cart.& GIS, Dept.of Geogr., OSU, Columbus, OH 43210-1361
    TEL +1 614 292 1357  FAX +1 614 292 6213  FIDO 1:226/330  CCnet mapvxa::pjd
      INTERNET pjd+@osu.edu  or  pjd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu    [128.146.1.5]
        BITNET pjd@ohstvmb       UUCP ...!osu-cis!hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu!pjd

Steve Pershing <sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> (05/31/90)

Now that we have a list of world-wide country codes, does anyone have
access to a relatively complete world-wide list of regional/city codes
to go along with them?

It would be a useful posting for future reference (unless they change
often).

Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca          |POST: 1027 Davie Street, Box 486
Phones:  Voice & FAX:  +1 604 682-6659     |      Vancouver, British Columbia
         Data/BBS:     +1 604 681-0670     |      Canada  V6E 4L2

[Moderator's Note: It's not that they 'change often' (although they
do change), but rather, the inefficiency and wasted space of printing
such a humongous and time-consuming (for you to type in, for readers
to view, and most important! for me to edit) list in this forum. AT&T
or the long-distance carrier of your choice has lots of books, charts
and printed reference materials you can order if you feel you must
have a list of everything, everywhere. The front pages of your local
phone book probably contain many city codes for starters.   PT]

rees@dabo.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/01/90)

In article <8459@accuvax.nwu.edu>, "John R. Covert 30-May-1990 0816"
<covert@covert.enet.dec.com> writes:

> And finally, though not confirmed, Bhutan has reportedly been assigned
> the code 975.  A backwards country from both a transportation and
> communications standpoint, it is not likely to be diallable soon.

In my experience, Bhutan is not diallable even from inside Bhutan.  I
did get through once by operator from New Delhi though.  I had to make
an appointment the day before.

David Tamkin <0004261818@mcimail.com> (06/01/90)

John Covert wrote in volume 10, issue 400:

|Colin Plumb asks which countries are part of the North American
|Intergrated Numbering Plan Area (code 1).  They are:

|   Canada, USA including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Jamaica,
|   Barbados, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Cayman Islands, British
|   Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Bahamas, Dominica, Dominican Republic,
|   Grenada, Montserrat, St. Christopher and Nevis, St. Lucia,
|   St. Vincent and the Grenadines [Bequia, Mustique, Prune (Palm) Island,
|   Union Island], Trinidad and Tobago.

|What you will note about this list is that it includes the USA plus all
|members of the British Commonwealth in the Caribbean and North Atlantic.
|This definitively (at least for now) answers the question of why some
|places are in +1 809 and why some have their own code.

If you want it to be definitive, even just for now, that rule will
have to be "the USA, the Dominican Republic, and all members of the
British Commonwealth in the Caribbean and North America."  The rule as
John stated it leaves the Dominican Republic out but includes the UK!
(If "North Atlantic" meant only islands such as Bermuda and the
Bahamas and not coastal countries on the continents, then the rule
didn't add the UK but it excluded both the Dominican Republic and
Canada.)  Anyone who considers Bermuda and the Bahamas not to be parts
of North America is welcome to specify them, and if Belize is in the
British Commonwealth, anyone who deems it in North America is equally
welcome to make a specific exception for it.

Ah well; the definitive rule didn't turn out so simple after all.

Peter Dotzauer wrote in the same issue, quoting Michael Shiels's
original article on the subject:

:>    670-    Mariana Islands
:>    688-    Tuvalu, Saipan

:Saipan is a part of the Mariana Islands.  Not only that, it comprises
:about ninety per cent of its population.  The rest is mainly on Tinian
:and Rota.  Why does Saipan, a part of the Commonwealth of the Mariana
:Islands, have an area code together with a relatively distant country of
:nine South Pacific atolls (Tuvalu), while the rest of the Marianas has
:another area code?

It doesn't.  Michael's list was in error.  Saipan is in country code
670 along with the rest of the Northern Marianas.

David Tamkin  P. O. Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  +1 708 518 6769
MCI Mail: 426-1818   CIS: 73720,1570   GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  +1 312 693 0591

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (06/03/90)

In article <8462@accuvax.nwu.edu> Patrick writes:

> [request for post of list of city codes worldwide]

>The long-distance carrier of your choice has lots of books, charts
>and printed reference materials you can order if you feel you must
>have a list of everything, everywhere. The front pages of your local
>phone book probably contain many city codes for starters.   PT]

Speaking of the local phone book, I've noticed something the last few
years: the list of foreign codes has gotten SHORTER and SHORTER each
year -- I guess the idea is that Pac*Bell doesn't get much revenue
*directly* from international calls, so they won't put much effort
into helping you.  For example, the Oakland book lists 38 country
codes and a total of about 83 city codes, for the entire world.  The
omissions are rather strange, too: Finland is listed but not Sweden.
Other notable omissions are Turkey, Egypt, Argentina, Thailand, and
all of Africa except South Africa.  Vatican City and Monaco rate
listings as country codes, but not Saudi Arabia.  Our Swedish friends
will be happy to know that they are the only country the San Francisco
directory adds to Oakland's list, with 5 city codes (second only to
UK).

Four years ago, my San Jose directory had 3.5 pages of listings for
country/city codes.  Why chop the list???

Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

[Moderator's Note: Maybe they found it as much a pain in the fingers
to type, edit, proof-read and respond to complaints about as I do.
Full scale lists of this size have little value for most people. If
they appear in some one single authoritative document someplace, let
it go at that.   PT]

Kee Hinckley <nazgul@alphalpha.com> (06/04/90)

>>     977-    Nepal			98-     Iran

>> [Moderator's Note: The above are always prefaced with either 011 (for
>                                   ******
>> direct dialing) or 01 (for credit card, collect or third number
>> billing). Then a city code, comparable to a USA area code, follows the

Last time I tried (a few years ago) Iran didn't accept credit card
calls.  My paranoid guess is that it's because they can't easily track
who's calling; I know they listen in on most calls.

I discovered the credit card restriction by accident.  I was on
vacation in California with my wife (prior to our marriage) when the
Navy shot down the Iranian airliner.  We were calling to see if her
father had been piloting it (ulp, fortunately not).  The operator
tried a credit card call and it was refused, so we switched to billing
my home phone.  We then actually managed to get through to Iran (quite
a feat on a payphone) only to be interrupted by a rather irate
(American) operator, who had attempted to verify my third party call,
only to get my roommates answering machine telling her she had reached
the Arlington Insane Asylum.  That took at little straightening out!

			-kee

Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805
148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |
Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  | BBS:  617/641-3722
nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | 300/1200/2400 baud

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (06/05/90)

In article <8597@accuvax.nwu.edu> rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc
Madison) writes:

>Four years ago, my San Jose directory had 3.5 pages of listings for
>country/city codes.  Why chop the list???

The Ottawa/Hull Bell Canada (not a BOC, really) phone book has eight
pages, 145 Country codes (including Christmas Island, Vanuatu, etc.).

Yet another advantage to old-fashioned non-competitive monopoly
service!  And our local rates are lower, too.

Henry Troup - BNR
owns but does not share my opinions
 ..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 or  HWT@BNR.CA

Jim Breen <rdt139z@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> (06/05/90)

Madison) writes:

> Speaking of the local phone book, I've noticed something the last few
> years: the list of foreign codes has gotten SHORTER and SHORTER each
> year -- I guess the idea is that Pac*Bell doesn't get much revenue
> *directly* from international calls, so they won't put much effort
> into helping you.  For example, the Oakland book lists 38 country
> codes and a total of about 83 city codes, for the entire world.

The Telecom Australia directory in the larger cities has 165 country
codes and ~300 city codes. Perhaps there are some advantages in
monopolies after all (8-<)>.

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (06/15/90)

Madison) writes:

>Four years ago, my San Jose directory had 3.5 pages of listings for
>country/city codes.  Why chop the list???

Well, the plot thickens.  I just got my new June, 1990, directory the
other day, and they have a much longer list.  Countries returning to
existence (in Pac*Bell's infinite wisdom) include Sweden, Senegal,
Argentina, Fiji, and Tasmania.  There are several more city codes
listed for some of the larger countries.

Go figure.

Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu