[comp.dcom.telecom] Choosing No Long Distance Carrier

Steve Forrette <forrette@cory.berkeley.edu> (05/25/90)

In article <8173@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>Well, the PacBell representative I spoke with disagrees.  He said that
>I must choose a default long distance carrier.

When I had two lines installed in PacBell territory this past January,
I had no problems when I requested no long distance carrier, other
than a somewhat confused "Why would anyone want to do that?"
Furthermore, the PacBell rep told me that I would have six months to
change it to the carrier of my choice for free - after that, it would
cost me the $5 or whatever it is.  I recently made my selection, and
the rep indeed said "Oh, I see ... Your service is less than six
months old, so there's no charge."

BTW, I had done this for security reasons, hoping that it would throw
off someone tapping into my line.  (I'm not all that paranoid - there
have been several instances of this during the past year where I
live).  When I first signed up for service, the rep indicated that the
error recording would be non-descript.  But, actually, it was quite
descriptive.  Basically, it said "This call requires a long distance
company access code.  Please hang up and redial the call using the
code."  My second line was on another exchange (#5 xbar of all
things), and that recording went as far as directing me to the Yellow
Pages to find long distance companies to call!

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (05/25/90)

Brian Litzinger <brian@apt.bungi.com> writes:

> Several people responded that having no default long distance carrier
> can happen in the normal course of business. I.E. you just ask for no
> long distance carrier.

> Well, the PacBell representative I spoke with disagrees.

Double Well, that representative should be reported. I order telephone
lines constantly for remote broadcasts and other purposes where they
want a phone on the site. These are the questions I am *always* asked
and the answers I give:

Jack type:	RJ11C

Touch tone:	Yes

LD Carrier:	None

"Fine, thank you for your order, Mr. Higdon."

Ordering lines with no carrier is SOP. I'm beginning to believe that
the greenest trainees are put in the residence service order
department. Do what I do: whenever you order residence service (and
I've ordered plenty of that in my time) ask immediately to speak to a
supervisor. Say, "I have a complex order here and I don't want to have
to repeat it all twice -- once to you and again to the person you will
have to turn me over to." If you are dealing with service in the San
Jose area, ask for Chris or Mrs. Ford at 811-5700.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

david@llustig.uucp (David Schachter) (06/13/90)

In article <8173@accuvax.nwu.edu> brian@apt.bungi.com (Brian
Litzinger) writes:

>Well, the PacBell representative I spoke with disagrees.  He said that
>I must choose a default long distance carrier.  He even showed my the
>form he was filling out, and under long distance carriers was: AT&T,
>MCI, Sprint ... However, None, was nowhere to be found.  There wasn't
>even a blank line or other field.

My apartment has two lines, billed to different parties and different
in most features, but connected in a hunt.  The second line (the
non-pilot line) has no 1+ Equal Access carrier (this has been verified
the hard way), just as I specified when I ordered service from
PacBell.

			-- David Schachter
			   llustig!david@mips.com
			   ...!uunet!mips!llustig!david
			   david@llustig.UUCP (MAYBE)

sirakide@uunet.uu.net (Dean Sirakides) (06/15/90)

Litzinger) writes:

>Well, the PacBell representative I spoke with disagrees.  He said that
>I must choose a default long distance carrier.  He even showed my the
>form he was filling out, and under long distance carriers was: AT&T,
>MCI, Sprint ... However, None, was nowhere to be found.  There wasn't
>even a blank line or other field.

I've signed up for service through Illinois Bell on two separate
occasions.  The first time was about three years ago. The account rep
asked all the usual questions about features and packages (one of
which was unmeasured service!) and then came to the "time to choose
your default LD carrier".  She claimed AT&T would be the "simple"
choice because the billing would be combined.  In any case, she said I
must choose a carrier.

I've recently (~4 wks) set up service again.  This time when we
reached the LD question I got a different response.  The rep said she
could not sign me up for a carrier. What she did do was read me a list
of the "biggies" and offered me the 800 number of which ever company I
wanted.  Consequently, since I have a hoard of calling cards, I have
no default LD carrier.

P.S. The set up cost me $55 and I was given three available numbers to
choose from (I was told only business lines can request numbers).  I
was also asked during the feature questions "if I had the phones with
the buttons or the dial!!!"

Dean Sirakides              |    Motorola Cellular Group
 ...uunet!motcid!sirakide    |    Arlington Heights, IL
      Of course I speak for myself, not my employer...