[comp.dcom.telecom] Bell Cellular to Offer Users Snoop-proof Scramblers

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (06/08/90)

Excerpted from {The Globe and Mail}, Toronto, June 7, 1990

Bell Cellular has developed a new scrambling service that will allow
its cellular radio-telephone subscribers to encrypt all their voice
and data communications.

   The optional service, dubbed Privacy Plus, will be available in
mid-July and will sell for $89.95 (Canadian) a month.

    Users of the service must install an encryption device in their car
that is affixed to the dash and plugs into the phone.

    The device contains the programs for scrambling and descrambling
messages.  It is made by Cycomm Corp., a unit of Sonatel
Telecommunications Corp. of Vancouver, British Columbia.

   Although Bell Cellular is targetting the defence and national
security market, the scrambling unit has not yet been certified that
it meets the rigid Tempest standards set by the U.S. National Security
Agency. Only equipment that meets the Tempest standards set by the top
secret communications spy agency can be used by NATO governments to
communicate classified military and intelligence information.

   Bell Cellular's new system is the first in North America to install
encryption equipment in its cellular network for use by subscribers.

    The system uses a powerful communications program that randomly
breaks up the frequency band used for cellular communications into
smaller bands and then jumbles up a message by randomly assigning
parts of a call to those bands.

    The message is then descrambled either at the Bell Cellular switch
if it is destined for a non-encrypted user or by another subscriber's
equipment if destined for a user who also has the encryption service.

   Bell Cellular is a subsidiary of Montreal-based BCE Mobile
Communications Inc., which in turn is a subsidiary of BCE Inc.,
formerly Bell Canada Enterprises.

It has 141,000 subscribers in Ontario and Quebec and provides service
in competition with Rogers Cantel Inc. of Toronto.

tep@tots.logicon.com (Tom Perrine) (06/15/90)

In article <8941@accuvax.nwu.edu> ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
writes:

>Excerpted from {The Globe and Mail}, Toronto, June 7, 1990

>Bell Cellular has developed a new scrambling service that will allow
>its cellular radio-telephone subscribers to encrypt all their voice
>and data communications.

>The device contains the programs for scrambling and descrambling
>messages.  It is made by Cycomm Corp., a unit of Sonatel
>Telecommunications Corp. of Vancouver, British Columbia.

See below.

>Although Bell Cellular is targetting the defence and national
>security market, the scrambling unit has not yet been certified that
>it meets the rigid Tempest standards set by the U.S. National Security
>Agency. Only equipment that meets the Tempest standards set by the top
>secret communications spy agency can be used by NATO governments to
>communicate classified military and intelligence information.

NSA is the agency charged with (among other things :-) ensuring the
security of U.S. gov't and related communications. No encryption
method, algorithm or device may be used to protect classified
information unless NSA approves it. For example, although NSA and the
government would like US businesses and others to use DES, they don't
approve it for protecting classified information. "Its good enough for
*you*, but not good enough for *us*. Why? We can't tell you." Right.

This approval has almost nothing to do with TEMPEST, which is
effectively a standard regarding the amount and "quality" of emitted
RF that a device processing classified information may emit. TEMPEST
is actually the unclassified code-word for a classified program. The
technical parameters of what actually constitutes "TEMPEST certified"
is apparently classified.

>Bell Cellular is a subsidiary of Montreal-based BCE Mobile
>Communications Inc., which in turn is a subsidiary of BCE Inc.,
>formerly Bell Canada Enterprises.

I find it almost impossible to believe that NSA is going to approve a
box that they didn't design, and which was designed and manufactured
outside the US.

Disclaimer: I've read the _Puzzle Palace_ and thats all I can say :-)

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |+1 619 455 1330

brewer@anarky.enet.dec.com (John Brewer) (06/15/90)

writes:

>Excerpted from {The Globe and Mail}, Toronto, June 7, 1990

>Bell Cellular has developed a new scrambling service that will allow
>its cellular radio-telephone subscribers to encrypt all their voice
>and data communications.

>The optional service, dubbed Privacy Plus, will be available in
>mid-July and will sell for $89.95 (Canadian) a month.

	Why did I guess that this would not be free?

	The cell folks seem to have neglected to point out the fact
that even though they pushed the ECPA thru Congress, that ANYONE can
easily listen to cellular phone traffic. Now they want substantial
bucks to make it appear secure.

	Anyone want to make any wagers as to how long it takes for
Radio Electronics to start carrying ads and construction articles on
circumventing this encrption scheme? It may take a little longer, but
I can still remember claims of "secure" satellite encryption schemes,
and the radar detector technology seems to be catching up with
"instant-on" radar traps.

	Wouldn't it be easier to tell the public that the mode of
transmission is not secure?

	IMHO.

|John Brewer    WB5OAU           |      Brewer@ace.enet.dec.com  |
|Digital Equipment Corporation   |	Brewer@cup.portal.com    |
|Albuquerque NM                  |      WB5OAU@KN5D              |

ewv@ncar.ucar.edu> (06/16/90)

In article <8963@accuvax.nwu.edu> brewer@anarky.enet.dec.com (John
Brewer) writes:

>Wouldn't it be easier to tell the public that the mode of
>transmission is not secure?

When I signed up for Cellular One in the Colorado Springs area (Front
Range) they made me initial next to a paragraph in two separate
agreements (one for the service package and one to just protect
themselves apparently) that stated cellular communications were not
secure and 'commercially available scanners' could listen in.

They also mentioned that it was illegal for the person listening to
get any benefit or tell anyone else what they heard.

On another note: This month (my first with them) they changed policies
and now charge from the time you hit SpEND until END. Previously they
started charging when supervision was returned. Their justification
was that 'this is a standrard industry practice'... Is it?

Eric Varsanyi (ewv@craycos.com)        Cray Computer Corporation

Max Southall <max@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> (06/16/90)

In article <8962@accuvax.nwu.edu> Tom Perrine <tep@tots.logicon.com>
writes:

>>Although Bell Cellular is targetting the defence and national
>>security market, the scrambling unit has not yet been certified that
>>it meets the rigid Tempest standards set by the U.S. National Security
>>Agency. Only equipment that meets the Tempest standards set by the top
>>secret communications spy agency can be used by NATO governments to
>>communicate classified military and intelligence information.

>NSA is the agency charged with (among other things :-) ensuring the
>security of U.S. gov't and related communications. No encryption

>I find it almost impossible to believe that NSA is going to approve a
>box that they didn't design, and which was designed and manufactured
>outside the US.

Certain Canadian companies are participating in Tempest, through an
agreement between the NSA and the Canadian Security Establishment.

As well, NSA-sponsored encryption chips are available for design-in
into both U.S. and Canadian projects, producing "STU-III" type
products, which meet the appropriate Canadian and U.S. agency
approvals.

As well as Canada being a NATO partner of the U.S. and America's only
Free Trade partner, the Canadian and U.S. military forces are closely
linked under NORAD command, as well as their foreign policies.

There are also certain close-to-the-vest agreements in other areas ...

(STU-III ??? "Secure Telephone Unit"  ... :-)  )

%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%