[comp.dcom.telecom] Very Long Distance Email ... a Question

dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) (06/14/90)

One of our employees is about to embark on a fairly long [roughly six
months] stint in Europe, and I'd like him to be able to stay in touch
with the office through our internal email setup.  Line quality issues
notwithstanding, I suppose that I could simply have him dial into the
server from his foreign location and conduct a standard remote login
session.  But I suspect that there should be a better way to handle
this from a cost and efficiency standpoint.

So, for all in the group who are savvy in international telecom: What
recommendations can you make for this situation?  Should I try to find
a foreign server for him, and forward his mail back and forth?  Should
I investigate one of the commercial mail carriers like attmail, again
with a local forward from our site?  Or is direct dial likely to be an
acceptable alternative given the time-frame and expected volume?

I'll summarize email replies.  Thanks.

<:>   Dean Riddlebarger
<:>   MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.
<:>   [317] 841-0332
<:>   uucp: uunet!epicb!dean   dean@truevision.com

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (06/16/90)

In Digest Vol.10, Iss.434, Riddlebarger writes:

>One of our employees is about to embark on a fairly long [roughly six
>months] stint in Europe....
>... Should I try to find a foreign server for him, and forward his mail
> back and forth?  Should I investigate one of the commercial mail
> carriers like attmail, again with a local forward from our site?  Or
> is direct dial likely to be an acceptable alternative given the
> time-frame and expected volume?

Anticipating there will be a significant volume to transfer, and that
it will be daily (or perhaps even several times daily), batching the
files will certainly result in the least on-line time. In particular,
you should compress that files to cut that time in about half (at
least for text files and such compressible stuff) ... provided you get
one of the newer compression programs, not the old, original .ARC that
some mini makers now peddle.  Get .PAK or .ZIP, or any other you can
find that uses the Ziv-Lempel compression algorithm.

With that, you can figure the daily minutes of use as half the time
you'd use otherwise..making allowance that your correspondent will
have some time hanging on to get started and wind up with you.  If you
want to use dial-up, be sure to transfer the batched file with a
powerful error-correcting algorithm that "streams," like ZMODEM.

Now, each of the commercial E-Mail carriers has offerings of access
deals back to the States via the national packet network of the
country, but as in telephony, the arangements can be beaurocratic and
sometimes quite expensive.

You can send your correspondent off with a 2400bps "hayes-type" modem,
because its modulation plan is actually CCITT V.26ter, and it will
com- municate either direct to you or to European modems that meet
V.26ter or V.22bis.  These are just the CCITT way of saying "full
duplex 2400 or 1200 bps."

Where the bureaucracy builds is in the electric interface spec to the
local dial-up phone line, and if you get into conversation with the
PTT of the country, objections that the "foreign-made modem" isn't
good enough are (at least until 1992) rather likely. (This despite the
fact that MANY of the modems supplied in Europe are from U.S.
factories, with nothing but a special label that shows the PTT"s
engineers found it OK.)

To attempt an answer to this, MCIMail promotes a Swiss-based device
called the "Worldmodem." It's a VERY expensive piece of hardware that
has agreements for a number of nations and a rather expensive plug-in
you also buy to make it work ... you kind of rent its use in addition
to buying it.  What's nice about it is that the plug-ins are the PTT-
authorized "modular plug" for each nation.  For people traveling from
nation to nation, this is rather nice. Hotels even have them to rent
casually (at a VERY high rate) in some nations.

If you can find a cooperating partner with a local server that's with-
in local flat-rate calling range, then maters might be eased and
cheaper for you to avoid the transatlantic batching.  But if your
European nation is a fully-metered one (like Germany), watch out for
the local phone bill!

Whatever you do, send your person off with a bit of Radio Shack
modular extender receptacles (the kind used to plug two phone cors
together) a couple of spade lug-ended short modular cords and some
alligator clips, plus a couple of screwdrivers.

That way, when and while the bureaucracy is confusing the matter wiht
all sorts of delays to getting in business, your person can indulge in
a little simple "phreaking" that will find you can just clip onto an
analog phone line (Oh, be SURE to dial PULSE only ... no tone
dialing!) and get through till the smoke clears.

For all the great talk promised, many people find some "phreaking" is
needed if you really mean to get through ... at least for a while.

If you can find a local corespondent with a server, they usually can
find someone local who's quite adept at "getting things done," by some
"phreaking" or otherwise.  But send you person hardware-equipped, as
the largest signle problem can be getting the matching U.S. modular
plugs amd cords for the modem connections.  (Sometimes there are minor
advantages if you travel to underdeveloped nations.  There, you just
get a hookup of whatever you brought and you blast away.  Those
nations have neither the people to police nor the office to harass
you.)

If you want to go off using the "prepared packet-access offering" of
one of the U.S. E-Mail carriers, fine, but it risks not getting up as
fast as you're led to believe and costing you quite a bit.  Just like
here, the "advice" of local Telco "experts" `is often confusing and
contradictory ... and almost certainly expensive!