[comp.dcom.telecom] So Long, LATA?

ken@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Ken Jongsma) (06/15/90)

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but the term LATA is
rapidly disappearing from use. The local phone books no longer refer
to it, instead using the words "Local Serving Area".

Not that I'm sad to see it go! I always thought it was rather
pretentious.

Ken

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (06/16/90)

In Digest v10, iss434, Jongsma writes:

>I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but the term LATA is
>rapidly disappearing from use. The local phone books no longer refer
>to it, instead using the words "Local Serving Area".

>Not that I'm sad to see it go! I always thought it was rather
>pretentious.

Sorry to disappoint you, Ken, but LATA is not going away.  It is and
remains the "official" name of an area that has access points to the
big outside world of interstate common carriers.  The term 'Local
Serving Area" is a subdivision of a LATA, usually caused by the
presence of a "little guy" Independent Telco that gets its connections
to the "outside world" of interstate communications via the nearby
"big guy" (usually Bell) Telco.  The "Local Serving Area" should be
found to be the territory of within which no toll charges are applied
for a "local" rated phone call.

Another case may exist when a LATA crossed a state line (much more
common than some Digest participants seemed to have thought a while
back.  My current example: Mississippi has incursions of LATAs from
other states at 5 points on its boundaries; places where historically
a telephone exchange from a town in the neighboring state had grown
into MS years ago.  Similarly, the Alabama/Georgia border has LATA
incursions across state lines.

So, dislike the term LATA as much as you may, it still exists and is
different than a Local Serving Area.  Sorry!