[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Phone Billing Practices

" Maynard <jay@splut.conmicro.com> (06/17/90)

In article <8982@accuvax.nwu.edu> boulder!pikes!craycos.com!ewv
(Eric Varsanyi) writes:

>On another note: This month (my first with them) they changed policies
>and now charge from the time you hit SpEND until END. Previously they
>started charging when supervision was returned. Their justification
>was that 'this is a standrard industry practice'... Is it?

I suspect that it may become a standard industry practice, but, at
least in Houston, GTE Mobilnet charges from either the time the phone
is answered or the tenth ring (probably == 1 minute) until END.

I can understand why they'd want to charge from off-hook until
on-hook, though, as you're still using a channel during the time the
phone is ringing, and it is a charge for airtime.

Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL
jay@splut.conmicro.com