[comp.dcom.telecom] Letters on Phone Dials Around the World

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/17/90)

In article <8992@accuvax.nwu.edu> david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A
Wilson) writes:

 > Yesterday I dropped in at the local library and had a look through the
 > old telephone books (I only looked at 1960's & 70's). Back in the
 > early 60's we did have letters on our dials - and in a pattern I have
 > not seen mentioned before. The layout was as follows [1 = 1 pulse, 0 =
 > 10 pulses]:

 > 	1 = A	2 = B	3 = F	4 = J	5 = L
 > 	6 = M	7 = U	8 = W	9 = X	0 = Y

Perhaps it is time for a retransmission of something I did post a few
years ago (where Australia can now be added):

Digit            1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0

North America       ABC DEF GHI JKL MNO PRS TUV WXY
UK and France       ABC DEF GHI JKL MN  PRS TUV WXY OQ
Danmark         C   ABD EFG HIK LMN OPR STU VXY (1)
Germany         A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K
Czocheslovakia  A   B   C   F   H   J   K   L   M   R
Sovjet Union    A   V   B   G   D   E   ZH  I   K   L

Notes:
(1)     In Danmark, 9 is associated with a-umlaut and o-bar.
(2)     I have a photograph of an American telephone where 0
        is marked:
             Operator
                0
(3)     The German telephones skip I, possibly because in older
        times German did not distinguish upper case I and J.
(4)     In the Netherlands the German layout was used.  The reason
        was that German telephones were used, the letters have never
        really been used here.
(5)     In most (all?) European countries the use of letters has
        faded out.
(6)     The Sovjet-Union layout is of course a transcription.

Does anybody know of other layouts?

dik@cwi.nl