[comp.dcom.telecom] Tollfree Number Serves Continental US and Two Provinces

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (06/12/90)

I have seen a tollfree number listed as working from continental U.S.
AND from the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.  (The specific
number: 800-225-TRIP, for Kentucky travel info.)

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (06/17/90)

In article <8895@accuvax.nwu.edu> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) writes:

>I have seen a tollfree number listed as working from continental U.S.
>AND from the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.  (The specific
>number: 800-225-TRIP, for Kentucky travel info.)

Nothing special about this.  There are lots of 800 numbers that cross
the US Canadian border.  Here in Canada, a US 800 number is provided
by dealing with the local member telephone company of Telecom Canada
(Sort of like what ATT used to be in the days of monopolies) who then
deals with ATT.  The number from the states actually comes in on a
separate line but haves the same telephone number.  Also, the US
service can be bought in different bands based on distance from the
US-Canada connection point.

On 800 numbers into the states, a number of companies have made deals
with the Canadian carriers to put through their calls.  MCI and Sprint
are two that I know about.