[comp.dcom.telecom] Sverige Direkt

dan@sics.se (Dan Sahlin) (06/10/90)

Sweden has recently introduced a service called "Sverige Direkt"
(Sweden Direct) which is a list of free telephone number that you can
call from a number of countries and you will reach an operator in
Sweden. You can the ask for a telephone number in Sweden, and the
called party will be charged for the call.  I understand that Bell
already has a similar service operational.

The list of countries and numbers for "Sverige Direkt" are as follows

	Belgium           11 00 46
	Canada       1800 463 8129
	Finland        9800 1 0460
	Italy             172 0046
	Holland        06 022 0046
	New Zealand        000 946
	Spain          900 99 0046
	Great Britain 0800 89 0046
	USA          1800 345 0046

It is interesting to see the irregularity of the telephone numbers above,
which makes it almost impossible trying to remember them.

As I can understand there are two reasons for this irregularity:

1. There is no generally used "800-number". Some similar numbers are used in
   GB (0800) and Finland (9800). Although you can't see that from the above
   table, in Sweden we use 020 as our "800-number". We could change that
   into 0800 as 08 is the area code of Stockholm and no telephone numbers
   start with a 0, but I haven't heard about any such plans.

2. The telephone numbers for each national "800-number" are allocated
   locally, so it is not so probable that the same number can be used
   for the same purpose worldwide. Maybe it is too late now, but
   a portion of the telephone numbers under "800" could be allocated
   to a world wide number plan.

   In the numbers chosen above, I can see attempts in that direction
   by chosing numbers containing Sweden's country code 46. I wonder
   if I would reach a Danish operator by dialling 45 instead, or
   a Norwegian operator by dialling 47 instead.

An alternative solution that would make it possible to dial the same
number toll free anywhere in the world would be to introduce a pseudo
county number for toll free calls. The country code "800" seems to be
ideal for this purpose.

Finally a strange thing I noticed in the table above: why are there
different numbers from Canada and the USA?

	/Dan Sahlin

email: dan@sics.se

[Moderator's Note: The different numbers for Canada and the USA may be
because the operator in Sweden uses the inbound line to see where the
call came from in order to bill it correctly, and it may be there are
different rates from Canada to Sweden than from the USA to Sweden.  PT]

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (06/28/90)

In article <9087@accuvax.nwu.edu> foxtail!kravitz@ucsd.edu (Jody
Kravitz) writes:

>dan@sics.se (Dan Sahlin) writes:

>>The list of countries and numbers for "Sverige Direkt" are as follows

>>	Canada       1800 463 8129
>>	USA          1800 345 0046

>I couldn't resist trying these numbers.  The Canadian 800 number was
>intercepted with "Your call cannot be completed as dialed <pause>
>6194T".

Well, from Canada the Canadian number gave an unfamiliar but European
dial tone. I hung up before it was answered.

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | Not one of 100% of
 ..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337 | Americans