[comp.dcom.telecom] US/Canada Only One Digit Code?

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (06/04/90)

johns@happy.uk.sun.com (John Slater) writes:

> In article <8446@accuvax.nwu.edu>, gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
> The US/Canada country code is unusual in two ways : (1) it is the only
> single-digit country code, and (2) it happens to be the same as the

I thought that the USSR was assigned country code 7 which is also a
single digit code.  There may be others.

There were some unique things done in Country Code 1.  Besides it
being the country code for the US and Canada, it also includes Bermuda
and many other island countries in that part of the world.  In
addition, there was at one time, an area code within country code 1
assigned to Mexico City, for more convenient dialling (?).  This is an
anomaly in the normal CCITT assignment, as Mexico has its own country
code.

I wonder if there are other "convenience" codes within other country
codes in other parts of the world?

Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca          |POST: 1027 Davie Street, Box 486
Phones:  Voice & FAX:  +1 604 682-6659     |      Vancouver, British Columbia
         Data/BBS:     +1 604 681-0670     |      Canada  V6E 4L2

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (06/28/90)

In article <9169@accuvax.nwu.edu> bcsaic!carroll@beaver.cs.
washington.edu (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I understand that one of the (multiple) phone systems in Saudi
>Arabia is based on the North American digital hierarchy, and that AT&T
>has had people operating telecom in that part of the world for years.

Ahem, Bell Canada has the contract for building and operating the Saudi
telephone system, and has had for some time.

Obnoxious patriotic Canadian...

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
 ..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337