[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T 'COCOT' Style Payphones

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (06/14/90)

I always figured if anyone hated COCOTS it was AT&T.  Well I found
what I'd call an AT&T COCOT.  The card on the phone said the phone was
OWNED by AT&T it looked like a 'normal' payphone (not one of their
card phones) and took quarters for local calls ... thing is you dial a
number and it locks out the keypad (it really was annoying as the one
call I made on it was to my voice mailbox and I couldn't retreive my
messages).

Guess it makes a lot of sense as you don't normaly need the keypad
after dialing an AT&T call.  I wish I'd had time to play with the
phone to see if it (now illegally) blocked access to other carriers.
Next time I'm in the Officers club at NAS Corpus Christi I'll make
time to fool with the phone.

You guys at AT&T need to clean up your own phones before griping about
other peoples.

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake@nosc.mil
INET: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE

ceb@csli.stanford.edu (Charles Buckley) (06/26/90)

>blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) writes:

>I always figured if anyone hated COCOTS it was AT&T.  Well I found
>what I'd call an AT&T COCOT.

I have encountered AT&T "Charge-a-Call" phones at an airport recently
which cut off the keypad only when certain 800 numbers were called.  I
could call my paging service and use the keypad, but the keypad was
turned off when I called U.S. Sprint.  I can't blame them, but I was
very surprised.

Even worse, I recently made a call on a NY Tel payphone in Kennedy
airport, which cut off the keypad *after* I had dialled in 0 vvv
nnn-nnnn, so I couldn't dial my credit card number.  We were all
queued up as cattle, and people on either side of me were having
trouble too.  I learned quite a few card numbers to use, should I ever
think of doing such a thing.

I called up repair and asked why this was being done, and the first
thing the person on duty said was "Are you a phone company employee?".
I told the truth, and said no, so she wouldn't say why, but something
funny was going on, for sure.

I can't decide: drugs, espionage, or long distance competition
(against AT&T).  Any ideas?

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (06/26/90)

Here's a question for our Moderator or other readers of the Digest: Do
the AT&T 'Charge-a-Call' phones fall under the same (or similar) rules as
COCOT's?  It is not clear that they are customer owned, and they are
obviously not "coin operated".

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (06/27/90)

I don't understand this stuff about cutting off the keypad (I saw a
note saying this happened on a NY Tel payphone in JFK airport in New
York after 0-xxx-xxx-xxxx).  That self-service credit-card-number-
entry was put in in the first place because overheard
credit card numbers are a prime source of fraud, right?

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (06/29/90)

In article <8955@accuvax.nwu.edu> blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake
Farenthold) writes:

>number and it locks out the keypad (it really was annoying as the one
>call I made on it was to my voice mailbox and I couldn't retreive my
>messages).

When I was on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon all of the Pay Phones
were by Mountain West.  Some were traditional old style, and a number
had a LCD display attached.  What I found fascinating was that the
card on the phone indicated that since they did not provide long
distance service you needed to consult with "your long distance
carrier" for instructions about how to dial long distance calls - even
the phone books carried no instructions about how to make long
distance calls :-(

In fact 0+ dialing gave me ATT long distance :-), but when trying to
access an 800 service which required tone input, it would regularly
disconnect me after entering tones :-(

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
	     phil@wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617
uunet!wuarchive!wubios!phil - UUCP (314)362-2693(FAX)  C90562JM@WUVMD - bitnet

P A T R I C K   A.  T O W N S O N  (The Cheerful Iconclast)
ptownson@cs.bu.edu   ptownson@chinet.ch.il.us    ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu
Unique Zip Code 60690-1570   MCI Mail: 222-4956   AT&T Mail: !ptownson