[comp.dcom.telecom] Infoworld, AT&T and Rumor Squleching

"Robert M. Hamer" <HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu> (06/27/90)

On Mon, 25 Jun 90 16:21 CDT, TK0JUT2%NIU.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu wrote:

>Many of us are still seething about the Infoworld blurb in "Notes from

>It also seems that Robert Cringely's account was inaccurate in many
>respects.  First, the crash occured in January, not February; second,

If anyone wants to tell Robert Cringely how unhappy he or she is with
the story, his e-mail address is cringe@mci.com

sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us (Sharon Fisher) (06/29/90)

In article <9369@accuvax.nwu.edu> HAMER524@ruby.vcu.edu (Robert M.
Hamer) writes:

>On Mon, 25 Jun 90 16:21 CDT, TK0JUT2%NIU.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu wrote:

>>Many of us are still seething about the Infoworld blurb in "Notes from
>>It also seems that Robert Cringely's account was inaccurate in many
>>respects.  First, the crash occured in January, not February; second,
>If anyone wants to tell Robert Cringely how unhappy he or she is with
>the story, his e-mail address is cringe@mci.com

This was being discussed on another system I visit.  I used to work at
InfoWorld, so I gave Bob a call to let him know what was happening.
He says he's gotten *lots* of calls about this -- including some from
AT&T -- telling him how wrong he'd been.  However, his source for the
story continues to swear it's true.  (As of last week.)  Anyway, I
suggested that he could give me some sort of reference to pass out to
people who could provide information about this -- in other words,
that InfoWorld might want to assign a story on this (as opposed to a
mention in a gossip column) and that I'd be glad to propogate the
contact information.  However, he hasn't gotten back to me about who
would handle the story.

If it weren't for the insistence of the source, though, he said he
would have been perfectly willing to run a retraction on it.