[comp.dcom.telecom] Avoiding Unlisted Number Charge

rkaplan@nlm.nih.gov (Richard Kaplan) (06/26/90)

I noticed a few messages lately indicating displeasure at charges for
an unlisted number.  I was wondering if there is a way to get around
this unreasonable behavior on the part of the local phone companies.

Could I not tell the phone company that I wish my number to be listed
as Hugo Gorschonavitz?  Or as my own name spelled backward?  Or as Mr.
Unlisted K. Number?  Or do they insist that I use my legal name as it
appears on my bill?

Richard Kaplan, M.D.   PO Box 217   Rochester, MN  55903
(507) 281-1689 (Voice)   (507) 281-1989 (BBS)

[Moderator's Note: Generally, telling them the phone will be listed in
your roommate's name (or mother's name, etc) will work provided the
name is (in their sole discretion) reasonable, 'real sounding' and
unoffensive. If they suspect you are merely trying to circumvent the
charge for a non-pub number, they may ask you to produce the person in
whose name the service is to be listed, or offer proof that the name
is correct.  PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (06/28/90)

On Jun 27 at  2:35, TELECOM Moderator writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Generally, telling them the phone will be listed in
> your roommate's name (or mother's name, etc) will work provided the
> name is (in their sole discretion) reasonable, 'real sounding' and
> unoffensive. If they suspect you are merely trying to circumvent the
> charge for a non-pub number, they may ask you to produce the person in
> whose name the service is to be listed, or offer proof that the name
> is correct.  PT]

Pac*Bell seems to take a slightly different stance on this. Recently,
I discovered that because my billing number on a consolidated group is
not the "public" number (a recent change) and the billing number is
unlisted, the "public" number (in my .signature) can no longer be
listed. In essence, I am now forced to pay for unlisting even though I
would like to have one of my phones listed.

My options (as suggested by the Pac*Bell rep):

1. Deconsolidate the billing.

2. List the billing number in a phony name (to avoid unlisting
   charges).

3. Make the "public" number the billing number.

4. List the billing number in a phony name (making it a "listed class
   of service") and then list my "public" number in my real name.

Number 4 is my avenue of choice, although the rep suggested that I
would start getting junk calls directed to my phony "person" on my
private line. Note that not only will they allow a phony listing, but
the rep even suggested it.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

ewv@ncar.ucar.edu (Eric Varsanyi) (06/29/90)

In article <9352@accuvax.nwu.edu> rkaplan@nlm.nih.gov (Richard Kaplan)
writes:

>Could I not tell the phone company that I wish my number to be listed
>as Hugo Gorschonavitz?  Or as my own name spelled backward?  Or as Mr.
>Unlisted K. Number?  Or do they insist that I use my legal name as it
>appears on my bill?

	I didn't feel like paying the $2/mo to be unpublished, so I
told USWest that we wished to be listed under my wife's maiden name,
which (conveniently) was 'Smith' (I looked for the name with the most
pages in the directory). Since her name is Ami we are now listed as 'A
Smith', no address. They didn't hesitate or ask for any kind of proof.
They did allow me to not be listed in criss cross directory for no
charge.

	All this after a long argument about paying $2/mo. So far the
only call we've gotten for A Smith was from 611 repair (you would
think they have access to the actual records).

Eric Varsanyi (ewv@craycos.com)        Cray Computer Corporation

P A T R I C K   A.  T O W N S O N  (The Cheerful Iconclast)
ptownson@cs.bu.edu   ptownson@chinet.ch.il.us    ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu
Unique Zip Code 60690-1570   MCI Mail: 222-4956   AT&T Mail: !ptownson

levine@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Leonard P Levine) (06/29/90)

Some years ago we listed our phone in the name of our cat, Mehitabel.
We received many calls for Ms. DeKatte, and we generally responded
that she was out in the garage under the car, or in the front yard
climbing a tree, true responses generally.  The only time we had a
problem was when, one dark and stormy night, a salesman came to call
on our cat with a life insurance offer.  He was wet through, and I did
not have the heart to tell him who he was looking for (he wanted Miss
Mehitabel Dekkett) and we let him go back in the rain.

A good time was had by all.  This was the most fun I ever had since
the time I declared my house to be on daylight savings time and
demanded evening rates one hour earlier than the rest of Minnesota
from the phone company.  I made the Minneaplis Star(?) on that one.

| Leonard P. Levine                    e-mail levine@cs.uwm.edu |
| Professor, Computer Science             Office (414) 229-5170 |
| University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee       Home   (414) 962-4719 |
| Milwaukee, WI 53201 U.S.A.              FAX    (414) 229-6958 |