[comp.dcom.telecom] Who is John Galt?

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) (07/02/90)

John Galt is a sort of Buckminster Fuller on cocaine: an eccentric
engineer who mixes philosophy and engineering in equal doses ... but
instead of a sort of proto new-age without the flakiness, Galt's
philosophy is a aggressive mix of social darwinism and sociobiology.

Oh yes, he's also only a character in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", a
political statement thinly disguised as fiction.

erik@naggum.uu.no (Erik Naggum) (07/04/90)

In TELECOM Digest V10 #465, peter da silva <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>,
writes:

> John Galt is a sort of Buckminster Fuller on cocaine: an eccentric
> engineer who mixes philosophy and engineering in equal doses ... but
> instead of a sort of proto new-age without the flakiness, Galt's
> philosophy is a aggressive mix of social darwinism and sociobiology.

To be fair, the philosophy has a polarizing effect on people.  Some
hate it, some love it.  Those who have seen it, seldom choose anything
in between.  The above description is typical of the way people will
describe it.  Keep the intensity and change the attitude, and you have
the other camp.

> Oh yes, he's also only a character in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", a
> political statement thinly disguised as fiction.

Atlas Shrugged was first published in 1957, and still sells briskly.
Many people enjoy it for its fictional qualities.  A huge number of
people have heard about it, but only second-hand like the above from
Peter, or second-hand from someone who loves it, but that usually
results in reading it.

Beware of the followers.  There is a strong religious element in the
"official" following, almost cult-like.  There are also reasonable
people who hold this philosophy, but they're much less likely to be
missionaries.  There are also some professional philosophers working
with it.

[Erik Naggum]

[Moderator's Note: I'd like you to know that in 1957, when I was a
second year student in high school, our debate class invited Ayn Rand
to speak at a school assembly about her new book, and she accepted our
invitation. Atlas Shrugged had just gone into print, and she was on
the circuit promoting it. I introduced her, and afterward, our debate
teacher Arthur Erickson and I took her to dinner before taking her
back to the airport. I remember to this day sitting in the restaurant
across from her, with her long cigarette holder as she seemed to stare
straight through me. I smoked cigarettes also, since it was glamorous,
and a sign of sophistication. Arthur praised me as the teacher's (his)
pet, and Ms. Rand said, "You are such a smart young man! You are too
smart to believe in Gott ..." She autographed my copy of her books (I
also had a copy of The Fountainhead with me).    PT]

John_David_Galt@uunet.uu.net (07/08/90)

You guessed right about where I got the name, but I am a real person
and am not quite the same as either Rand's character or da Silva's
description.  I invite philosophical discussions under
alt.individualism -- this is not the place for them.

For the record, John David Galt is my real name, which I took in 1981.