[comp.dcom.telecom] New Area Code in Italy, Atlanta, Omaha, Detroit & Paris

TELECOM Moderator <telecom@eecs.nwu.edu> (06/25/90)

In addition to Atlanta, Paris, Omaha and Italy, also involved in this
area code change will be Detroit and Elkhart, among other places.

Jim Hogg will be getting a new area code, which will be shared with
Ben Franklin, Ben Wheeler and the White House residents.

Uncertain and Telephone are included in the change.

Would the Moderator try to bull-jive you?

See the next issue of the Digest today for details.

Keith Pyle <keith@execu.com> (07/09/90)

In article <9250@accuvax.nwu.edu> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM
Moderator) writes:

>In addition to Atlanta, Paris, Omaha and Italy, also involved in this
>area code change will be Detroit and Elkhart, among other places.

>Jim Hogg will be getting a new area code, which will be shared with
>Ben Franklin, Ben Wheeler and the White House residents.

>Uncertain and Telephone are included in the change.

>Would the Moderator try to bull-jive you?

Well, since our Moderator brought this up ... when I saw his post, I
knew immediately what he was talking about since Atlanta (pop. 7000)
is my home town.  I pass through Omaha, and have to remind myself not
to blink in doing so, whenever I go back.  Like many parts of the
country, northeast Texas has its share of oddly named places and ones
whose names relate in some way to more famous locales.  Uncertain does
indeed exist, and its name is said to have come about just as you
would expect.  They were uncertain what to name the place.  One cited
reason is that they weren't sure whether it was in Texas or Louisana.

It is an interesting place to visit if you're ever in the area (near
the Louisana border ~60 miles south of Texarkana).  Uncertain is at
the dead end of a state highway and sits next to Caddo Lake, which is
a natural lake that the Caddo Indians claim was formed overnight.
There is some evidence that an earthquake may have indeed caused it to
form.  Many huge cypress trees covered in Spanish moss exist
throughout the lake which is criss-crossed with boat runs maintained
by the Army Corps of Engineers.

If you go in very far and alone the first few times, you better have
a map or plan to spend a good deal of time, and maybe the night,
before finding your way out again.  The area has one other claim to
fame: just south of Uncertain by a few miles is Karnack, site of the
Army ammunition plant where Pershing missles are being destroyed under
one of the disarmament treaties.

Keith Pyle                    UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Execucom Systems Corp.,       Internet: keith@execu.com
Austin, Texas                           execu!keith@cs.utexas.edu
                                        keith%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu
                              Disclaimer: What?? You actually believed
                              me?