[comp.dcom.telecom] Telebit T1000 Modem at 9600 Baud

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (07/09/90)

A couple years ago, I went from 2400 to Telebit for dial-in,
interactive use. I was unimpressed. I found the packetization
disturbing. The average delay from when I did something to when the
first character of a response came back seemed greater.

After that, of course, the characters came in faster. But I think the
delay to first character is what's important. I can't read at 2400
anyway. If there was no way to select what I want to display then it
would be nice to display the stuff I don't need faster, but usually I
can skip to exactly what I want and after that, the difference between
2400 and 9600 is not that important.

For UUCP, Telebit is probably worth considering but for dial-in, I
didn't like it.

Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
PALASM 90: it's not the same old PALASM any more!

peter da silva <peter@ficc.ferranti.com> (07/10/90)

In article <9546@accuvax.nwu.edu> Phil Ngai <phil@brahms.amd.com>
writes:

> For UUCP, Telebit is probably worth considering but for dial-in, I
> didn't like it.

I guess it depends on your software, but I find that even vnews takes
too long to decide not to display part of a message, so the extra
speed of updating is worth it. For dial-in, V.32 is better but PEP is
still more fun than V.22.

Peter da Silva.
`-_-' +1 713 274 5180.
<peter@ficc.ferranti.com>