[comp.dcom.telecom] Austrian Telephone System

wnp@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) (07/12/90)

I have finally managed to obtain some more information about the
conversion of Austria's telephone system to modern digital technology.

The currently installed electro-mechanical CO switching equipment will
be replaced during the next few years by electronic switches supplied
by Northern Telecom (DMS100) and Siemens (EWS-D).

The Siemens equipment is being adapted and installed by Alcatel, and
will be installed in the eastern half of Austria, including most of
Vienna.

The NT equipment is being adapted and installed by a joint venture of
two Austrian telecom firms, Kapsch and Schrack, and will be installed
in the western half of the country, as well as in selected Vienna COs.

The Kapsch/Schrack/NT joint venture, Austrian Telecommunications, has
also been awarded a contract to install their DMS100 adaptation in a
number of Hungarian COs.

My own CO south of Vienna is scheduled to be converted to EWS-D during
the first quarter of 1991; the adjoining CO which serves my employer,
IIASA, has not even been given a date for conversion.

Wolf N. Paul, Int. Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schloss Laxenburg, Schlossplatz 1, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465   FAX: +43-2236-71313   UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp
INTERNET: wnp%iiasa.at@uunet.uu.net  BITNET: tuvie!iiasa!wnp@awiuni01.BITNET

hwt@uunet.uu.net> (07/13/90)

In article <9608@accuvax.nwu.edu> iiasa!cossun!wnp@relay.eu.net (wolf
paul) writes:

>The NT equipment is being adapted and installed by a joint venture of
>two Austrian telecom firms, Kapsch and Schrack, and will be installed
>in the western half of the country, as well as in selected Vienna COs.

The Kapsch/Schrack/AT joint venture is over five years old, being NTs
first licensee for DMS-100 technology.  Other NT licensees/joint
ventures include NETAS which is rebuilding the telephone system of
Turkey.  Over one million lines are alrady installed in Turkey.  There
is also a joint venture in China.

Henry Troup

BNR owns but does not share my opinions
 ..uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337