 From:  Greg Monti
 Date:  26 June 1990
 Subject: International Calls Using Credit Card and Equal Access

Allen Jensen <allen%audiofax.com@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

First of all,it's 10XXX, not 10NXX.  The "N" means "digits 2 thru 9
only".  In fact, any combo, from 000 to 999 is valid after "10",
providing a long distance company with that code exists and serves
that area.

> I would like to find out how International calls are made using the
> equal access LD Carriers.  Does one just, for example, dial 10222011+
> and if this is so, where does the credit card number go ?

No.  You would not dial 011.  It would be 10222 + 01 + country code +
city code + local number + #. Immediately after the # sign, you would
receive the "calling card tone" and would dial your USA 14-digit
calling card number (the one issued by your LOCAL phone company, not
the one issued by MCI, which is LD company 10222; the MCI card number
is for 950- and 800-access calls only).  Assuming the call and card
number were both valid, and that MCI accepts card calls to that
country and provided that that country accepts carded MCI calls, you
would hear "thank you for using MCI" or somesuch and it would ring
through. You would pay MCI card usage charge (probably around $0.75)
plus the direct dialed MCI per-minute rate for the call itself.  It
would appear on the MCI "casual usage" page of your LOCAL phone bill.

> How about alternate overseas vendors - 101XX codes ?  Anyone have any
> examples ???

There are no "different" vendors for overseas calls and for domestic
calls.  US regulations (the Modified Final Judgment) state that, from
any US phone, the whole world is divided into just two areas:
intra-LATA and inter-LATA.  Overseas calls are obviously in the second
category.  Therefore, competitive long distance companies carry them.

The heirarchy for dialing instructions with and without 10XXX being
appended first is (supposedly) exactly the same.

Note that the above will not work from a *pay* phone *owned by the
local operating company* if you dial 10222 + 011 + etc.  "011" from a
pay phone of necessity implies that this is a CASH call.  The only LD
company that handles cash calls from LOC payphones is AT&T.  More than
likely, if you try this, the "10222" will be ignored and you will be
routed to the AT&T recording saying how much money to put in (bring
your rolls of quarters!).

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822 2633

PCI@cup.portal.com (07/07/90)

Greg Monti states:

>There are no "different" vendors for overseas calls and for domestic
>calls.  US regulations (the Modified Final Judgment) state that, from
>any US phone, the whole world is divided into just two areas:
>intra-LATA and inter-LATA.  Overseas calls are obviously in the second
>category and therefore the long distance companies carry them.
^^^^^^^^^

This is not quite accurate.  LEC's are not allowed to provide
inter-LATA service.  They are allowed to provide intra-LATA and
International service.

This situation in very familiar to the carriers that serve the Hawaii
market.  One of the largest IRC's (International Record Carriers) in
the region is GTE Hawaiian Telephone (HawTel) the local LEC.  When
competing for service between Hawaii and other Pacific points
(including U.S. points of Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas
and American Samoa) we find our LEC (which has a monopoly for local
service ... both dialup access and leased line local loops) is also the
IRC competing with us.  In order to prepare a bid, we must notify our ...

[Moderator's Note: This is the way I received the above message. It
appears the last sentence or two have been truncated.   PT]

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 09-Jul-1990 1654) (07/10/90)

 From: Greg Monti
 Date:  9 July 1990

(Regarding what kind of carrier, inter-LATA or intra-LATA, carries
international toll calls.  I had stated that international calls were
inter-LATA): PCI@cup.portal.com writes:

> This is not quite accurate.  LEC's are not allowed to provide
> inter-LATA service.  They are allowed to provide intra-LATA and
> International service.
> This situation in very familiar to the carriers that serve the Hawaii
> market.  One of the largest IRC's (International Record Carriers) in
> the region is GTE Hawaiian Telephone (HawTel) the local LEC...
> ...we find our LEC (which has a monopoly for local
> service) ... competing with us.

You are right, I wasn't clear enough.  The Modified Final Judgment
which governed the breakup of AT&T affected (and still affects) only
AT&T and the *Bell* Operating Companies (BOCs) which were once
*majority*-held by AT&T.  Technically speaking, the concept of a LATA
applies only to *BOC*s.  "Independent" LECs can either be "associated
with" a nearby BOC's LATA or can be in their own "area" which acts
like a LATA, like the "Rochester Area" referred to in New York
Telephone directories.

There are states that have no BOCs operating anywhere within them.
Alaska and Hawaii are two of them (the only two?).  GTE, since it is
not a BOC, but is an "independent" does not have the same
line-of-business restrictions on it that the MFJ has over a BOC.
That's why companies like GTE can do international service, why Centel
can run cable TV service (which broadcasters and cable operators are
trying to keep BOCs out of) and why Contel can run a competitive
domestic satellite data company (Contel ASC).

I believe that GTE is subject to a different (non-MFJ) consent decree
which *does* require it to offer equal access, even where its one-time
long distance company (Sprint) was one of the equal competitors.  So
the same restrictions don't apply to BOCs and independents.

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822-2633

John Cowan <cowan@marob.masa.com> (07/13/90)

In article <9550@accuvax.nwu.edu>, covert@covert.enet.dec.com
(John R. Covert  09-Jul-1990 1654) writes:

>There are states that have no BOCs operating anywhere within them.
>Alaska and Hawaii are two of them (the only two?).

The other obvious candidate would be Connecticut.  I know a tiny
portion of CT (Greenwich/Byram) is served by New York Telephone (it's
part of the New York Metropolitan LATA) but I believe the whole rest
of the state is SNET.  Any Connecticutensians have more definite
information?

(A quick check of the list of BOCs as of breakup time suggests that
every other state contains at least one BOC-owned LEC.)

cowan@marob.masa.com			(aka ...!hombre!marob!cowan)