[comp.dcom.telecom] Are You Using Centron or a Similar Service?

mark@uunet.uu.net (Mark McWiggins) (07/11/90)

Our receptionist just quit, and we're thinking of replacing our
(clunky electromechanical) 4-line key system with an offering from US
West called Centron.  (Like Centrex but smaller, as I understand it.)
They're also now offering voice mail, and we think these together
would cut our phone-answering labor by 80% or more.  The monthly
charge for all this is no more than the rental for our current key
system.  Overall, it looks like a big win, if it works.

Am I missing something?  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
who's using a similar system.  Also, we're expecting significant
growth over the next couple of years. What else should I be looking
out for?

Thanks in advance.

Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...
1400 112th Ave SE #202		Bellevue WA  98004
uunet!intek01!mark		Ask me about C++!

John Higdon <john@bovine.ati.com> (07/13/90)

Mark McWiggins <intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> Am I missing something?  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
> who's using a similar system.  Also, we're expecting significant
> growth over the next couple of years. What else should I be looking
> out for?

Centron sounds like Pac*Bell's Commstar. These "mini" Centrex
offerings offer some of the features of Centrex and have the advantage
of being tariffed for residential service as well as business. The
major disadvantage (if you can bear the cost) is that all features are
activated by a hookswitch flash. This means that your people will have
to become adept at flashing the hookswitch or pushing the "flash"
button if your phones are so equipped. It has been my experience from
years in the interconnect business that there are some who simply
cannot deal with this form of feature activation. If they don't see a
light or some other form of instant feedback, they get lost and lose
calls. We sold many feature phones after the fact to customers who
originally thought that they were "manly" enough to use the
hookswitch.

Also, price others' voice mail and the cost of a small electronic key
system. Don't just flop over to the arms of the telephone company
because it "won't cost any more". You may be able to satisfy your
needs for less.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (07/14/90)

John Higdon explains that some users have problems with a hookswitch
flash.

Northern Telecom's Unity II telephone sets are quite basic, except
that in addition to the usual twelve touch-tone keys, they also have
an R and an L key. R hangs you up, by disconnecting for five seconds
or so; L stands for Link, and flashes the line.

Some years ago, Northern Telecom was marketing the Link phone, which
appeared to be a standard 2500 set with an additional L button.

I don't like the Unity II sets a lot, because the number buttons are
too close together, and they aren't concave.

julian@bongo.uucp (Julian Macassey) (07/14/90)

In article <9605@accuvax.nwu.edu>, intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net (Mark
McWiggins) writes:

> Our receptionist just quit, and we're thinking of replacing our
> (clunky electromechanical) 4-line key system with an offering from US
> West called Centron.  (Like Centrex but smaller, as I understand it.)
> They're also now offering voice mail, and we think these together
> would cut our phone-answering labor by 80% or more.  The monthly
> charge for all this is no more than the rental for our current key
> system.  Overall, it looks like a big win, if it works.

> Am I missing something?  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
> who's using a similar system.  Also, we're expecting significant
> growth over the next couple of years. What else should I be looking
> out for?

	First of all, yes if you get Centrex then every employee will
be able to have his/her phone number. But to call from station to
station you have to call a three or four digit number. If you are all
techie types you may have no trouble with all the flash, tone, dial,
hang-up sequence to transfering a call, bringing another station in on
a call etc. There are phones that will automate these features to a one
button process. But using these features is slow. If you are the sort
of person who does not have the patience to wait for a prompt on a
terminal, Centrex will drive you nuts.

	You will be nickled and dimed to death with Centrex, every
silly little feature costs more. It also takes time for the telco
bureaucrats to get the order to the grunt at the CO who will sit at a
terminal and turn your feature off or on.

	If you are currently leasing am ancient 1A2 from AT&T or the
Telco, you may be surprised to find that you can upgrade to a modern
Electronic KSU with features up the kazoo (all programmable) for about
the same money per month. So you could upgrade to a six line by
eighteen station piece of gear for the same monthly cash. But you can
get the new KSU on a closed lease, so after two years or so, you own
the damn thing and you owe no more.

	Then again, if you are reasonably competent, you could put it
in yourself for even greater savings.

	I suggest you ask around, talk to other small businessmen in
your area. Call a few interconnects listed in the Yellow Pages under
"Telephone Systems".

	Don't misunderstand me, I am not pro or con any system, you
need to get the system that suits your corporate culture. Many KSUs
now include paging, if you get Centrex, that would be outboard. Some
companies love to page, some abhor it. Some love to "screen" calls,
some want to get the call to the recipient and let him decide if he
wants to talk. So you need to decide how you want to use your phones
and then get the gear that lets you do what you want to do. If you get
the best system in the world and it does not work the way you do it
will always be known as "That piece of crap."

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@K6IYK (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495