[comp.dcom.telecom] Annoying Intercept Behavior

leichter@lrw.com (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU) (07/11/90)

Here in Stamford - and in my experience most of Connecticut - we have
to dial 1+7 for calls outside the local calling area, omit the 1 for
calls in it.  Do it the wrong way and you get an intercept.

The oddity is the way the intercept is implemented.  It doesn't take
place immediately after the last digit - not to mention after the
exchange, which is possible.  Instead, you get two or three normal
rings and THEN a long, wordy message telling you exactly what you
should have done.

This is a real time-waster when you are dialing an unfamiliar number,
as you sit there convinced that you've made it through.  I find that a
good fraction of the time, but the time I get the intercept I've
closed the telephone book or put away the business card with the
number on it.  Then I get to start over again.

Why would anyone set up intercepts this way?  Is it done this way
elsewhere?

		-- Jerry

"Jerry B. Altzman" <jbaltz@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu> (07/12/90)

In article <9607@accuvax.nwu.edu> leichter@lrw.com (LEICHTER-JERRY@
CS.YALE.EDU) writes:

>The oddity is the way the intercept is implemented.  It doesn't take
>place immediately after the last digit - not to mention after the
>exchange, which is possible.  Instead, you get two or three normal
>rings and THEN a long, wordy message telling you exactly what you
>should have done.

[complaint deleted...]

>Why would anyone set up intercepts this way?  Is it done this way
>elsewhere?

I don't know if pay phones fit in this category, but in at least three
other states (PA, NJ, and NY), if you dial a number without putting in
the correct amount of change, you get two or three rings, and *then* a
voice says "deposit xx more cents".

This is both now and in the days of the AT&T/Ma Bell monopoly.

I've also seen this on toll calls in all three of those states
nowadays.

//jbaltz (yet another jerry)

jerry b. altzman    212 854 8058
jbaltz@columbia.edu   jauus@cuvmb (bitnet)
NEVIS::jbaltz (HEPNET)   ...!rutgers!columbia!jbaltz (bang!)

KOSSACKB@ricevm1.rice.edu (Jordan Kossack) (07/15/90)

On 12 Jul 90, jbaltz@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Jerry B. Altzman) says:

- I don't know if pay phones fit in this category, but in at least three
- other states (PA, NJ, and NY), if you dial a number without putting in
- the correct amount of change, you get two or three rings, and *then* a
- voice says "deposit xx more cents".

- This is both now and in the days of the AT&T/Ma Bell monopoly.

     This is not entirely true. I was in Rockland County, NY last
month [ 914 / NYNEX ] and I was trying to make a call from one town to
another, both in Rockland. Anyway, I dropped a quarter in a pay-phone
and dialed the number. After two or three rings, my quarter is
returned and I get a message to the effect of "please deposit
forty-five cents." OK, so I drop the two bits back in, add two dimes
and redial the number. After the obligatory two or three rings, my
$0.45 is returned and I get the same "please deposit ..."  message. I
grab the change from the return slot and pump it back into the fone
... lo and behold, I am finally connected to the other party.

I agree with leichter@lrw.com (JERRY LEICHTER):

>Why would anyone set up intercepts this way?

  Jordan Kossack  |  N5QVI   |               Student Staff
  ----------------+----------+  Office of Networking and Computing Systems
  KOSSACKB@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU  |        Rice University  Houston Texas

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/16/90)

Jordan Kossack <KOSSACKB@ricevm1.rice.edu> writes:

> After two or three rings, my quarter is
> returned and I get a message to the effect of "please deposit
> forty-five cents." OK, so I drop the two bits back in, add two dimes
> and redial the number. After the obligatory two or three rings, my
> $0.45 is returned and I get the same "please deposit ..."  message.

A utility pay phone has no way of knowing how much money you initially
deposit. All it knows is if you put in at least the "initial rate" for
a local call, which is a "go -- no go" situation. If the initial rate is
$0.20 and you dump a dollar in for a local call, if the call is
completed, the phone will blithely collect your buck, period. The same
goes for a "non-local" call where more than the initial rate is
required. If you have deposited the initial rate, the phone must
return it so that the automatic coin system (not the phone) can count
your deposit from $0.

What I don't understand is this "two or three" rings before your initial
deposit is returned. Around here, if I dropped $0.20 into a phone, then
dialed something outside of my local area, the dimes would be in the
coin-return slot before my finger was off the last button. It's almost
startling. Then immediately the voice would say [for example],
"Forty-five cents please. [pause] Please deposit forty-five cents for
the first three minutes. [longer pause] Forty-five cents please."
Dropping a coin during this sequence would shut the recording up. If
you wait long enough between coins you get, "Please deposit ten cents"
(or whatever is required to complete the total requested).

When you have complied, you get "thank you" and your call goes
through.  If you put in too much from not having the correct change,
you would get "Thank you. You have ten cents credit for overtime." Due
to the CCS7, this last message is usually spoken over the first ring.

The whole procedure has always seemed most unambiguous. The only
ringback tone you ever hear is that of the called number.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (07/16/90)

In article <9685@accuvax.nwu.edu> "Jerry B. Altzman" <jbaltz@cunixe.
cc.columbia.edu> writes:

>>The oddity is the way the intercept is implemented.  It doesn't take
>>place immediately after the last digit - not to mention after the
>>exchange, which is possible.  Instead, you get two or three normal
>>rings and THEN a long, wordy message telling you exactly what you
>>should have done.

>[complaint deleted...]

>>Why would anyone set up intercepts this way?  Is it done this way
>>elsewhere?

"You can please some of the people all the time and all of the people
some of the time" ... but when you are the Phone Company, somebody
will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

I'm not sure exactly what the complaint was since I didn't see it.
The whole seven digit number must be dialed because a LOT of people
get VERY confused when you interrupt them in the middle of dialing.
This varies some depending on the place you are calling from and
exactly what kind of invalid number you dialed.  Most announcements
ring a few times to allow the message to play starting at the
beginning instead of "barging in" in the middle.  Even digitally
recorded messages are usually presented to the network in cycles and
wait for the start of the cycle just like mechanical drums.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965