[comp.dcom.telecom] C.O. "Secret" Numbers

lawrence@cs.ucla.edu (Lawrence Roney) (07/09/90)

Does anyone know the "secret" numbers that are buried in AT&T 5ESS
and/or Northern Telecom DMS systems to get your phone to ring?  I am
familiar with 114 and 12233 to get your number read back to you.  119
however used to give you a reorder tone and then when you hung-up
would ring your phone.  119 no longer works.  Are these numbers part
of the software release of the switch or does each operating company
pick their own diagnostic numbers?

If anyone else has any useful numbers, please post or mail.  They sure
are nice when sorting and troubleshooting trunks.

Lawrence Roney - Santa Monica College Telecommunications Department
N6YFN 		 1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405-1628
Mail       UUCP: uunet!ucla-cs!smcnet!lawrence   Internet: lawrence@smc.edu

[Moderator's Note: This question comes up periodically, and the answer
is that every CO does its own thing. Typically the codes vary from one
CO to another. There is no universal standard.  PT]

marking@uunet.uu.net> (07/13/90)

ucla-cs!smcnet.smc.edu!lawrence@cs.ucla.edu (Lawrence Roney) writes:

) Does anyone know the "secret" numbers that are buried in AT&T 5ESS
) and/or Northern Telecom DMS systems to get your phone to ring?

) [Moderator's Note: This question comes up periodically, and the answer
) is that every CO does its own thing. Typically the codes vary from one
) CO to another. There is no universal standard.  PT]

One repairperson gave me the number, with the caveat that they change
regularly so they won't become widely known.

A friend from Florida once had a phone installed and they neglected to
tell him the number. *Of course* they couldn't look up a new service
without the number, and Southern Bell told him he'd have to wait until
the first bill came. He was saved by a wrong number - the caller was
kind enough to tell him what number he was trying to reach.

mingo@uunet.uu.net (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (07/16/90)

In article <9705@accuvax.nwu.edu> drivax!marking@uunet.uu.net writes:

>A friend from Florida once had a phone installed and they neglected to
>tell him the number. *Of course* they couldn't look up a new service
>without the number, and Southern Bell told him he'd have to wait until
>the first bill came. He was saved by a wrong number - the caller was
>kind enough to tell him what number he was trying to reach.

	Of course you could just call directory assistance, and ask
for your own number.  When I moved to Washington two years ago, C&P
told me my number when they installed the service.  After a few days
of not getting any calls, I dialed my number, and found it was out of
service.  I called directory assistance, and found out that C&P
actually gave me a different number.  Just another C&P horror story.

Charlie Mingo			Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2	CI$:  71340,2152
Washington, DC  20037		AT&T:  202/785-2089