[comp.dcom.telecom] "911 is a Joke"

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (07/16/90)

John Higdon wrote:

> Calling 911 about once a year for assorted emergencies has resulted in
> prompt, efficient service. But I have a contingency plan for that day
> when I get the response that you have described. I will ask the
> operator for his/her "operator number" and inform the person that I
> will now hang up and call the agency direct if s/he can't help me. If,
> after one second, the attitude hasn't rotated 180 degrees, I will do
> just that. And then when the smoke clears, I will file a formal
> complaint.

Depending on where you live, John, you might find that when the smoke
clears, you have no desk, no paper, and no house from which to file a
complaint.  Or perhaps no health to file a complaint.

I imagine that San Jose has reasonable 911 services, but in many
cities, it's true that "911 is a joke."  Why should they hurry when
it's "just another gang murder"?

eli