[comp.dcom.telecom] Can One Disable Call-Waiting If *70 Doesn't Work?

news@accuvax.nwu.edu (USENET News System) (06/25/90)

I have also seen recommendations to try '70*'
                                        '#70'
                                        '70#' and
                                        '1170'.

Certainly, on modern 5ESS and DMS100, '*70' does the trick, but
apparently standardization was late in coming.

albert@endor.harvard.edu (David Albert) (06/25/90)

>> Can one disable call waiting in New York if the *70 tone block feature
>> didn't work?  Is there another way, this reeks havoc on data calls, as
>> you can imagine.

>One of the easiest is to set the modem's S9 and S10 registers to a
>value that ignores the break in the data stream when the incoming call
>is sensed.  This value could be 20 or more (2 seconds).

I have the opposite problem: trying to get call waiting to work while
I'm on a data connection.  I live in a dorm where I can only get one
phone line, and since I'm on the computer several hours a day and
don't want to be cut off from calls, I deliberately set my modem's S10
register to a small value so that I *will* be cut off.  The problem is
that the switch I'm on currently sends such a short tone that even a
value of S10=3 (three-tenths of a second) is not always enough to cut
me off, while S10=2 causes my refrigerator to cut me off each time it
cycles on.  S10=3 seems to be my best bet, but sometimes I have to
manually turn off my modem when I see the distinctive eight or ten
characters that the call-waiting beep translates into.  And sometimes
the screen starts filling up with garbage -- perhaps a parity bit gets
lost or something?

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (06/25/90)

In article <9217@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@bovine (John Higdon) writes:

| I am curious, though. Why would anyone have call waiting on a data
| line?

Cuz sometimes we use voice lines for "data" lines.

I live in GTE-land (boo hiss!) and they only recently added
call-waiting disable to my home phone exchange (switch?).  Before
that, I simply forwarded my phone to my answering service.  That's the
other way around it -- get call forwarding.

=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503) 777-0095 ===========
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |
| merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn |

kvitek@pro-party.cts.com (Keith Vitek) (06/26/90)

If *70 does't work, use the pulse dial 1170 ... works in most areas
like:

atdp1170 (and bbs or other number...)

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!kvitek
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-party!kvitek@nosc.mil
INET: kvitek@pro-party.cts.com

Keith Vitek              | Voice: 512/852-1841
5914 LiptonShire         |    or: 512/852-1780
Corpus Christi, TX 78415 |  FIDO: 1:160/40

CGW@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Chris Williams) (06/28/90)

>Can one disable call waiting in New York if the *70 tone block feature
>didn't work?  Is there another way, this reeks havoc on data calls, as
>you can imagine.  I hate call waiting, that's why I wouldn't ever get
>it, but one of my news feeds has it, and it's quite annoying for him.

>[Moderator's Note: I don't think call waiting can be suspended if *70
>does not work, since that is what *70 is all about. But why would
>someone have ordered call waiting on a line used for a news feed in
>the first place?  He should call telco and have it removed.  PT]

Here in Texas, where GTE is the phone service, (at least in a couple of places
I know of - Denton and Irving are examples) you *must* have call-waiting. You
can't get rid of it. I just recently moved here from Fort Worth (SW Bell area),
and now I discover that I'm plauged with call-waiting!!!! aaauuugghhh! People
who live here have told me that I'm just stuck with it, that it was a fault of
the switches GTE uses... so, is there any way I could get my telco to remove
it?

chris williams, 'gilligan'     CGW@UNTVAX{.bitnet}  cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
programmer/operator            NTVAXB::CGW          UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::CGW
university of north texas      at&t  : +1 817 565-4161
denton, texas 76203

Ellen Keyne Seebacher <elle@midway.uchicago.edu> (07/14/90)

>I have also seen recommendations to try '70*'
>                                        '#70'
>                                        '70#' and
>                                        '1170'.

I was told by someone in the Illinois Bell service area who disables
Call Waiting regularly that the command is '#73'.  Seven-*three*?  I
need to confirm this before I make a recommendation to campus users
(in our _Academic & Public Computing Resource Guide_), and whoever I
asked at Bell was pretty clueless.

Help?

Ellen Keyne Seebacher
 Univ. of Chicago Computing
  elle@midway.uchicago.edu

[Moderator's Note: You were given a bum steer. *73 turns off call
forwarding; it has nothing to do with cancelling call-waiting. And I
do believe *70 works as it should in the Hyde Park/Kenwood area of
Chicago, although I would not absolutely swear upon it. Of course, it
may not work on UC phone equipment. PT]

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/16/90)

ncoast!fmsystm!macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu writes:

> A personal note: GTD-5's ... they had a lot of potential, but GTE
> never really got around to making them 100% right.

It's just the NeverEndingStory of GTE. What DO they make 100% right?
80%? 40%? How about 10%?

> All the programming types are now in Ft Wayne or elsewhere and
> heaven forbid any of those people should talk to a lowly member of the
> public about GTE's all to frequent programming problems.  As a
> contrast, I regularly talk to software types at Ohio Bell, Alltel and
> United ... they make mistakes, but I can usually get to someone and get
> them corrected.  With GTE it takes threats of PUCO complaints (which I
> am prepared to do ... I keep logs of all this crap).

This is significantly at the heart of why GTE is the way it is. (Gee,
I had to struggle with that last sentence. This IS after all a family
forum.) In my 30 or so years dealing with GTE, I have yet to talk to a
single person who knows anything about -- well, er, anything. Front
line people will "get back to you" at some time in the future. You can
spend a great amount of time explaining the difficulty and then days
later discover that the person you talked to had no concept of what
you were saying and as a result your trouble was dismissed by the
interior people. They NEVER let you talk to a real person. My own
personal belief is that they don't exist.

In contrast, there are many people at Pac*Bell who have, over the
course of the years, given me their internal phone numbers. These are
real people: programmers, CO maintenance people, upper level
administrators. Some of them even communicate via e-mail. It is very
interesting to actually speak to the person who will be making the
decision concerning a cutover in my CO. As Macy points out, these
people can make mistakes, but when there is communication the problems
can ultimately be solved.

Let's face it: an LEC is in the communications business. But when you
deal with GTE, that fact is obscured. I have a data circuit -- one end
terminates in Campbell (Pac*Bell) and the other end terminates in Los
Gatos (Gee Hee Hee). I'll skip the fact that every single failure has
been involved with the Los Gatos end. I have trouble numbers for both
companies. Guess who I call and why. Even though the trouble is always
in Los Gatos, I find that the Pac*Bell people can actually get GTE out
of bed (something I can't do if I call the GTE repair number), off
their butts, and on the problem. Pac*Bell people keep me advised of
progress, make sure everything is OK, and give me internal callback
numbers in case I have any unscheduled questions. GTE, on the other
hand, asks if someone will be there during business hours (a
godforsaken unattended mountaintop site) and then not another word is
heard. Callback number? 611.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu (07/16/90)

[Writer was trying to find call waiting disable code that my not
 be the "standard" *70 in that CO....]

>>I have also seen recommendations to try '70*'
>>                                        '#70'
>>                                        '70#' and
>>                                        '1170'.

While I have no personal knowledge of the writer's phone system, I
offer the following comments:

If you are in a PBX (or some Centrex configurations) you may not have
the call waiting disable feature available as a dial-up code.  Many
PBX's have the ability to remove the call wait (or camp-on) tone
entirely on a line, but not on a per call basis.  I do not know who
your telephone system vendor is, but a written request stating
specifically your need may be best.  Be sure to involve your telecom
dept., as the follow-up may go through them. (The old name for this
feature was "data line security" on many systems.)

I have also found some CO's that require the per-call call waiting
feature to be specifically enabled by the CO people.  Generally,
unless the feature is tarriffed, the telco business office people do
not know about this functionality (and often don't much care).
Perhaps you could try talking politely to a business office
supervisor, explaining your problem, and ask if a conference call with
a CO supervisor for your office might be possible.  This sometimes
works.

The old adage about honey attracting more flies than vinegar applies
when dealing with first and second level telco employees.  When a
telco supervisor understands you need and sympathizes with you, you
are much more likely to get something done.

(These are the people who hold the power over the little day to day
things that can be so important....)

In the GTE North (was GTE Ohio) CO that serves me, several changes to
the special services numbering plan occurred when a software upgrade
to add Centrex services was installed.  Since our local CO serves the
722, 723, 725 office codes (which directly conflict with "standard"
service numbering i.e. 72# for call forwarding, etc.) the software type
at GTE (in their infinite wisdom ;-) changed the codes that normally
start with a seven to start with an eight.  (Ugly, IMHO)

So there are situations where the numbering plan can be skewed from
the "standard".

A personal note: GTD-5's ... they had a lot of potential, but GTE
never really got around to making them 100% right.  Now they seem to
be fast becoming the Edsel of CO's ... there is no one ... I repeat no
one in this division of GTE who knows how to program one of these
right.  All the programming types are now in Ft Wayne or elsewhere and
heaven forbid any of those people should talk to a lowly member of the
public about GTE's all to frequent programming problems.  As a
contrast, I regularly talk to software types at Ohio Bell, Alltel and
United ... they make mistakes, but I can usually get to someone and get
them corrected.  With GTE it takes threats of PUCO complaints (which I
am prepared to do ... I keep logs of all this crap).

Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
F M Systems, Inc.  {uunet|backbone|usenet.ins.cwru.edu}ncoast!fmsystm!macy
150 Highland Drive    Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 @ tone)