[comp.dcom.telecom] Cleaning Pulses

"Andrew A. Houghton" <ah0i+@andrew.cmu.edu> (07/13/90)

In brief, I have heard that at one time AT&T sent out "cleaning
pulses" in the wee hours of morning to "fuse shorts in the line."

Assuming this is drivel, is there any basis for such a thing?

Just wondering,

Andrew Houghton
(ah0i@andrew.cmu.edu)

mingo@uunet.uu.net (Charles Hawkins Mingo) (07/16/90)

In article <9677@accuvax.nwu.edu> ah0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew A.
Houghton) writes:

>In brief, I have heard that at one time AT&T sent out "cleaning
>pulses" in the wee hours of morning to "fuse shorts in the line."

	"At one time?"  I get half second chirps on my AT&T phone
around 1 AM, usually once or twice a week.

	I had assumed it was the local phone compant (C&P) since they
had warned me of middle of the night interruptions in service last
March, when they apparantly replaced the local switch.

	It sounds like someone is phoning you, and changing their mind
real quick (fraction of a ring).

Charlie Mingo					Internet: mingo@well.sf.ca.us
2209 Washington Circle #2			CI$:  71340,2152
Washington, DC  20037				AT&T:  202/785-2089

knop@duteca.tudelft.nl (P. Knoppers) (07/16/90)

Houghton) writes:

>In brief, I have heard that at one time AT&T sent out "cleaning
>pulses" in the wee hours of morning to "fuse shorts in the line."

>Assuming this is drivel, is there any basis for such a thing?
Yes and no...

The yes part:
Phone companies (at least in The Netherlands) regularly test
subscriber lines using voltages up to several hundreds of Volts.
Subscriber equipment is designed to survive such tests. The tests
are carried out with no (or almost no) human supervision. Lines that
happen to be in use during the test are skipped.

The no part:
I don't think that the phone company expects to cure faults in the
isolation of the subscriber loops. It might work for a while if you
are lucky, but the line will never become reliable again. The aim of
these test is to detect problems before regular service is hampered.

P. Knoppers, Delft Univ. of Technology, The Netherlands,
knop@duteca.tudelft.nl

npl@mozart.att.com (Nickolas Landsberg) (07/16/90)

In article <9677@accuvax.nwu.edu> Andrew Houghton writes:

>In brief, I have heard that at one time AT&T sent out "cleaning
>pulses" in the wee hours of morning to "fuse shorts in the line."

>Assuming this is drivel, is there any basis for such a thing?

>Just wondering,

This comes up periodically, so let me dust off the old brain cells
and try to come up with a semblance of the truth -

All(?) Electronic switches and most electro-mechnical switches can be
programmed to run a test or series of tests on the subscriber loop.
Generically, these are called Automatic Line Insulation Tests (ALIT).
There are three types of tests which may be performed: FEMF (Foreign
EMF, a.k.a. Cross Battery), SRG (Short and Ring Ground), and TRG (Tip
and Ring Ground).  The one which I am most familiar with (being an old
Outside Plant type) is the FEMF.  In theory, especially if paper
insulated cable is still in use, any moisture in the cable will
condense at night and reduce the insulation resistance.  Moisture will
tend to congregate at a low spot in the cable, thus reducing the
resistance of a number of subscriber pairs at once.  This argument is
probably specious in PIC (Plastic/polyethelene ? Insulated Cable.

Running the tests also competes with providing dial-tone, thus, the
switches are programmed to run the test at night.

The telephone number of lines which failed the test are printed out on
the maintenance channel of the switch.  In some companies, this
channel is also monitored by yet another computer system which
translates the telephone number to cable & pair, and, in some cases
performs yet another test to verify that the condition is still there.

The voltage applied during testing has nothing to do with "cleaning
pulses" or to "fuse shorts on the line."  About the only thing I saw
which would "fuse shorts" is a "630" set. (630 Volts DC applied to the
line.)  P.S.  Does anyone know if these are still in use?  It's been
years since I left the Outside Plant Dept.

Nick Landsberg