[comp.dcom.telecom] Insulation Breakdown Test Sets

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (07/18/90)

In article <9793@accuvax.nwu.edu> npl@mozart.att.com (Nickolas
Landsberg) writes:

> The voltage applied during testing has nothing to do with "cleaning
> pulses" or to "fuse shorts on the line."  About the only thing I saw
> which would "fuse shorts" is a "630" set. (630 Volts DC applied to the
> line.)  P.S.  Does anyone know if these are still in use?  It's been
> years since I left the Outside Plant Dept.

	Ah, yes the KS-14103 Breakdown Test Set.  These beasts are
still around, but are rarely used today.  Such breakdown procedures
only worked with paper and pulp insulated cable.  While quite a bit of
pulp cable still exists today, other test procedures employing
electronic capacitance measurement or a TDR seem to have largely
replaced this rather extreme measure for localizing high-resistance
faults.  Another disadvantage was that operation of this breakdown
test set on a working cable would introduce a tremendous amount of
noise on working pairs, despite the later addition of a large filter
inductor.  Definitely not great for any data being transmitted on
working pairs.

	The KS-14103 was nothing to trifle with since a fresh set of
batteries (it used something like 14 45-volt batteries) would put out
630 volts at almost three amperes.  That is a serious amount of energy
which can really knock someone on their ass (or worse).  Some, er,
idle plant personnel in years past have been known to, ah, investigate
the effects of the breakdown test set on various telephone components.
Most interesting was its effect on the neon glow lamps used in ANI-C,
which could be overdriven to the point of explosive decomposition,
replete with flying shards of glass.  :-)

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry