[comp.dcom.telecom] Intrastate Toll Free Non-800 Numbers

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (07/11/90)

What's the deal on these new in-state "toll free" exchanges that I see
advertised occasionally?  There must be a shortage of 800 numbers, eh?

Do these toll free exchanges have any interesting technical kluges?
Apparently, 596 is the in-state toll-free exchange in New Hampshire.
I think Massachusetts has one as well, but I'm not sure what it is.
Do all states have these exchanges available now?

eli

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (07/15/90)

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) asks about toll-free non-800 exchanges.

Maritime Tel & Tel, the only telephone company in Nova Scotia,
provides an awkward toll-free service without the 800 prefix.  (800
numbers are available, but they cost more, I suspect.)  A subscriber
to the non-800 service can arrange for a regular seven-digit number
(429-7111, which is or was the Air Canada reservations number in
Halifax, for example) to be toll-free for anybody who calls from
specified exchanges, or from anywhere in the province.  I assume the
charging for the calls is in blocks or time, much as it is with 800
service.

However, the toll-free bit only works if you're calling from a
residence or business phone.  It you're calling from a pay phone,
operators used to be able to check a list of valid toll-free numbers,
but as of the last time I was in Nova Scotia a few years ago, would
only place the call collect.

This service grew out of making telephone company business numbers
toll-free, I think.  (Maritime Tel & Tel still uses seven-digit
numbers for repair service, rather than 611, and rural customers would
incur a long-distance charge to reach repair unless certain
seven-digit numbers could be flagged as free.)

marc@ttc.uucp (Marc O'Krent) (07/18/90)

In article <9732@accuvax.nwu.edu> ndallen@contact.UUCP (Nigel Allen)
writes:

>eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) asks about toll-free non-800 exchanges.

>Maritime Tel & Tel, the only telephone company in Nova Scotia,
>provides an awkward toll-free service without the 800 prefix.  (800
>numbers are available, but they cost more, I suspect.)  A subscriber
>to the non-800 service can arrange for a regular seven-digit number
>(429-7111, which is or was the Air Canada reservations number in
>Halifax, for example) to be toll-free for anybody who calls from
>specified exchanges, or from anywhere in the province.  I assume the

An interesting side note realted to this is an obscure Pac*Bell tariff
which provides simmilar service.  I stumbled onto it a few years ago
when I was doing some research.  Formally known as CAL PUC No
A6.2.5.A.2.d or "Dial interexchange receiving service" first filed on
3/4/85 and effective 4/18/85 via advice letter #14889, this service
provides:

"A listing of the telephone number of the service on which calls will
be received may be furnished, at the customer's option, in the
directory serving each *exchange* in which the service is subscribed
for.  The listing will indicate that calls dialed ... to the listed
number will not be billed to the caller...

 ...Only those calls to this number which originate at stations served
from the exchange in which the service is subscribed for ... and then
only when the customer's telephone service where calls are received is
not included in the the local service area of the calling station...

 ...All customer notifications about the service must state clearly
all exchanges from which the advertised number may be called toll
free, and the fact that only direct dialed calls, and only calls from
these exchanges are toll free to the caller..."

The charge for this is $5.00 per exchange that you want to be toll
free to your number with USOC of EDZ.

This seems like some kind of bazzar Zenith service without the
"Zenith."  I can't imaginge that $5.00 per exchange covers the
programming expense of setting up special tables to make certain
exchanges (which are already non-local by tariff definition) toll free
to you number.

I doubt anyone ever used this service, but if you are out there, I'd
be curious to hear from you.

Marc O'Krent
The Telephone Connection
Internet: marc@ttc.info.com	MCIMail: mokrent