[comp.dcom.telecom] Momentary Cutoffs

jbaltz@cunixe.cc.columbia.edu (Jerry B. Altzman) (07/18/90)

In article <9839@accuvax.nwu.edu> Patrick Townsend writes:

>[Moderator's Note: *Something* happens here every morning at 1:37 AM.
>If I am online to Northwestern at that moment, the modem connection is
>dropped and I have to dial back in. Every day, no exceptions. I do not
>know if it is Illinois Bell or something at Northwestern.  PT]

And if you think *that*'s bad, our multimillion dollar ROLM switch has to
switch over from one set of nodes to the alternate set every morning at
0400, dropping outside modem connections (and for a while, also cutting off
voice communications and internal datacomm) I'm not sure if they still do
this, but for the first 6 months or so, every morning at 0400, >click<

DISCLAIMER: This isn't Columbia. This is me. Columbia is them.

jerry b. altzman        212 854 8058
jbaltz@columbia.edu     jauus@cuvmb (bitnet)
NEVIS::jbaltz (HEPNET)  ...!rutgers!columbia!jbaltz (bang!)