[comp.dcom.telecom] Pac*Bell Phones at Dulles?

tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com (Tom Neff) (07/09/90)

In this summer's movie DIE HARD 2**, which supposedly takes place in
Dulles International Airport (Washington DC), the payphones have a
prominent Pac*Bell logo on them.  Do they really provide the service
in Dulles?  Or was this an unavoidable glitch due to shooting in LA?
Or just a plug for the highest bidder?  (GTE was featured prominently
on the in-flight public phone, and hundreds of other vendors had their
little plugs too -- this has become par for the course in movies.)

** Mini review -- not as tight as the first one, even less believable,
but still good for laughs and ouch! type thrills.  See it on a hot,
boring afternoon.

0001050688@mcimail.com (Ken Donaldson) (07/10/90)

It has been a while since a passed through this airport but I recall
that the pay phones were provided by Contel which is the LEC that
serves that area.

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (07/10/90)

In article <9549@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com (Tom Neff)
writes:

> In this summer's movie DIE HARD 2**, which supposedly takes place in
> Dulles International Airport (Washington DC), the payphones have a
> prominent Pac*Bell logo on them.  Do they really provide the service
> in Dulles?

As far as my friends & I could tell, none of the interior scenes were
shot at Dulles (in particular, the ticket lobby isn't even *close* to
how Dulles looks :-)).  We figured it was either LAX or Denver
Stapleton.

Last I knew, phones in Dulles are either C&P payphones or ATT/MCI/Sprint
credit card phonettes.

Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
InterCon Systems Corporation

cramer@uunet.uu.net (Clayton Cramer) (07/11/90)

In article <9549@accuvax.nwu.edu>, tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com (Tom Neff) writes:

> In this summer's movie DIE HARD 2**, which supposedly takes place in
> Dulles International Airport (Washington DC), the payphones have a
> prominent Pac*Bell logo on them.  Do they really provide the service
> in Dulles?  Or was this an unavoidable glitch due to shooting in LA?
> Or just a plug for the highest bidder?  (GTE was featured prominently
> on the in-flight public phone, and hundreds of other vendors had their
> little plugs too -- this has become par for the course in movies.)

Somehow, I suspect it's because people in Hollywood don't realize that
the whole world isn't California, and therefore didn't catch this
minor flaw.

The movie also references a plastic pistol undetectable by airport
metal detectors, called the Glock 7, made in West Germany.  (For those
of us read Time, Newsweek, or one of the other major sources of
falsehood in America, there is no Glock 7 -- there are Glock 17, 19,
20, and 21 models); it is completely detectable by metal detectors and
X-ray machines; and it's made in Austria, not West Germany).

Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Disclaimer?  You must be kidding!  No company would hold opinions like
mine!

"John R. Covert 10-Jul-1990 1747" <covert@covert.enet.dec.com> (07/11/90)

 From: Greg Monti
 Date: 10 July 1990
 Subject: Re: Pac*Bell Phones at Dulles?

Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com>  writes:

> In this summer's movie DIE HARD 2**, which supposedly takes place in
> Dulles International Airport (Washington DC), the payphones have a
> prominent Pac*Bell logo on them.  Do they really provide the service
> in Dulles?  ...

Nope.  Phone service at Dulles is provided by Continental Telephone
Company of Virginia (Contel), which is not a Bell Operating Company.
They now provide both local and Washington Metropolitan service on two
different prefixes.

Some businesses, airport authority and pay phones may still get their
Metro service the old fashioned way, by running loops to a
foreign-exchange central office controlled by C&P of Virginia in
nearby Herndon.  However, even if these were pay phones, they used
Contel-provided customer premises equipment, usually GTE Automatic
Electric pay station instruments.  I guess these talk to the C&P CO
just fine for coin handshaking, etc.

Greg Monti, Arlington, Virginia; work +1 202 822 2633

parker@epiwrl.epi.com (Alan Parker) (07/11/90)

The movie wasn't filmed at Dulles.  The folks there didn't like the
way the script portrayed the airport and its employees.

But the phone service at Dulles is quite sorry indeed.  Pac*Bell might
be an improvement.

mingo@uunet.uu.net> (07/12/90)

In article <9549@accuvax.nwu.edu> Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.bfm.com> writes:

>In this summer's movie DIE HARD 2**, which supposedly takes place in
>Dulles International Airport (Washington DC), the payphones have a
>prominent Pac*Bell logo on them.  Do they really provide the service
>in Dulles?  Or was this an unavoidable glitch due to shooting in LA?
>Or just a plug for the highest bidder?  (GTE was featured prominently
>on the in-flight public phone, and hundreds of other vendors had their
>little plugs too -- this has become par for the course in movies.)

	According to today's {Washington Post} Style section, this was
a plain screw up.  Apparantly, Dulles wouldn't let them film on
location after the airport management figured out the plot, so they
were forced to do the rest elsewhere.  (Also, they had enormous
difficulty in finding snow, and had to shoot the blizzard in _four_
separate locations.)  The movie was edited unusually quickly to get it
out for summer (was still shooting in March).

Charlie Mingo			Usenet: mingo@well!apple.com
2209 Washington Circle #2	CI$:  71340,2152
Washington, DC  20037		AT&T:  202/785-2089

alex@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Pournelle) (07/12/90)

Alan Parker <parker@epiwrl.epi.com> writes:

>The movie wasn't filmed at Dulles.  The folks there didn't like the
>way the script portrayed the airport and its employees.

Being a resident of La-La Land (and columnist-on-hiatus of "Computing
in La-La Land -- another story), I get (?) the pleasure (?) of reading
the Los Angeles Chandler Shopping Network, commonly called The Times
by itself and "that rag" by anyone else...

The Sunday Calendar section column "Outtakes", which first broke :-)
the Pac*Bellophone coin-op phone story in Die Harder 2: The Expensive
Version, mentions that much of the interior was shot at the Bradley
Building, the international terminal at LAX.  Anyone who's been
through there should recognize it, too -- look for the occasional
triangle-ladder supports along the walls, and the upper concourse.

As far as phones are concerned -- who makes those spacy new
Pac*Bellerophon coin/credit phones?  They are sure Art Direction Award
Winning devices.  The new baggage handling and retrieval area at Union
Station has 'em, too -- though the just-as-new (both are just
finishing construction) UC Irvine Student center building has the
older, traditional, coin-op phones in its lobby.  Wonder how P*B*J has
decided who gets 'em?

Oh, and only two of the Irvine Payphones I played with were
misprogrammed, one had no transmit audio after connection to the
operator, the other didn't accept DTMF after dailing 0+number+#.
Compare this to oh-for-four on one bank of (*^&& coCOTs, and
eight-for-eight on the new spacyphones at Union Station.  (Yes, I
reported all of them.  It's bloody difficult to page somone when you
can't dial DTMF after call completion!)

Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others
...elroy!grian!alex; BIX: alex; voice: (818) 791-7979
fax: (818) 794-2297    bbs: 791-1013; 8N1 24/12/3

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (07/13/90)

Programs about the filming of this movie (such as Entertainment
Tonight) mentioned that the film crew moved from airport to airport,
basically following the snow for outside shots. So they probably
filmed interior scenes in nearby areas (like Pac*Bell territory) and
as economics dictated. Probably what you see is an amalgam of many
different airports.  Since most airport areas are indistinguishable
(and undistinguished :-) its possible to get away with this except for
details like the phone logos. One wonders how such blatant slipups get
by when they spend $30 million or so to make a film these days....

Regards,

Will

abg@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov (BANGS A L) (07/19/90)

See last week's {Newsweek} for a miniarticle about the screwup.  It said
that neither the director nor producer would comment on the error.

Alex L. Bangs ---> bangsal@ornl.gov         Of course, my opinions are
Oak Ridge National Laboratory/CESAR            my own darned business...

[Moderator's Note: I don't read News Weak very often, but I did check
out the article in particular. However, to deprive Kay Graham of the
profit from a sale, I read it at the 7/11 magazine rack while I was
having my luncheon sandwich a few days ago.  PT]