[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller-ID Update

lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee) (07/17/90)

In a 17 July 1990 edition of Neil Chayet's "Looking at the Law" radio
feature which I heard on WBBM-AM (780) Chicago IL, Caller-ID in
Pennsylvania was discussed.

Apparently Caller-ID has been deemed illegal in PA since it violates a
state law against wiretap devices (unless court-ordered).  It was also
deemed an invasion of privacy.  The telco argued that Caller-ID lets
the called party protect privacy, but the court (state supreme, if I
recall correctly) rules that the caller's right to privacy (ie,
unlisted telephone numbers, etc) must be taken into consideration as
well.

I wonder if this will set a precedent for other states.  Unfortunately
my net access has been rather sporadic so I've not been able to keep
track of this area.

Dwight A Lee / 416 Annie Glidden Rd #B6 / DeKalb IL 60115 / 815-758-1389
lee@chsun.uchicago.edu / I speak only for myself.

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (07/19/90)

In article <9883@accuvax.nwu.edu> lee@chsun1.uchicago.edu (dwight lee)
writes:

>Apparently Caller-ID has been deemed illegal in PA since it violates a
>state law against wiretap devices (unless court-ordered).  It was also
>deemed an invasion of privacy.  The telco argued that Caller-ID lets
>the called party protect privacy, but the court (state supreme, if I
>recall correctly) rules that the caller's right to privacy (ie,
>unlisted telephone numbers, etc) must be taken into consideration as
>well.

>I wonder if this will set a precedent for other states.

According to an article in Pittsburgh Magazine last year (about sales
of "spy" equipment for home use), Pennsylvania is unusual in its laws
about recording telephone conversations.  Apparently many states allow
you to record telephone conversations with the consent of one of the
parties, but Pennsylvania requires the consent of both.  Thus, it is
illegal to tap your own phone to record your own conversations.

FWIW, is there really any technical problem with protecting unlisted
numbers from caller ID?

David J. Birnbaum         djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                          djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]