[comp.dcom.telecom] Tracing Calls Back to College Dorm Phones

ie09@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (07/17/90)

So if the phone company tries to trace a call that originated from,
say a college dorm, all they would get if the number to that dorms
switchboard?  I think I have found the source of my annoying calls.

[Moderator's Note: But something you should remember is the trace need
not stop at that point. Either a manual or automatic switchboard at
the dorm can still be traced as well. Once at UC, a telco guy came in
and put a tap on an extension on the campus. Calls in or out through
the main switchboard would trigger the little device on the line, and
tape-record the call. And when the guy put the tap on the line, Mrs.
Henderson saw me watching him and told me to keep my mouth shut and
say nothing about it to the owner of that extension, 'or you will get
in trouble too...'.  I said nothing, and a week or so later the tap
was removed.  PT]

dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (07/20/90)

In <9892@accuvax.nwu.edu> ie09@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

>So if the phone company tries to trace a call that originated from,
>say a college dorm, all they would get if the number to that dorms
>switchboard?  I think I have found the source of my annoying calls.

An organization I work for at the University has the periodic need to
trace phone calls through the Stanford DMS-100 switch. The last time
we did it, a call went from Pac Bell land through to Stanford, and it
took forty minutes to trace (after calling 911). Things are supposed
to be set up now so that the trace works almost instantly, through
special lines to the E911 center that have been discussed here before.
(CLID? ANI? Some funky acronym.)

So anyway, for 911 (at least), yes, you can get the number of an
"extension" off of some PBX's.

# Daniel M. Rosenberg //  Stanford CSLI  // Chew my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet