[comp.dcom.telecom] Fun With ANI

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/17/90)

An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
Trak" (with the same announcer on the machine that did "Weather
Trak").  You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
supposedly, the correct report. It gives me a Sacramento area report;
that's hardly useful since San Jose is somewhat outside Sacramento's
geographic sphere of influence.

If you wish to play, the number is 800 325-5374. Be warned, however,
that the way I found out about this was from a news story that talked
about people complaining against the junk calls and mail generated by
the scooped up ANI. I used one of my Telebit lines to make the call.
If they call back they will have to log in!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

dave%westmark@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (07/17/90)

In article <9811@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
> Trak" (with the same announcer on the machine that did "Weather
> Trak").  You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
> area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
> supposedly, the correct report. It gives me a Sacramento area report;
> that's hardly useful since San Jose is somewhat outside Sacramento's
> geographic sphere of influence.

Just tried it from NJ.  It apparently didn't get the ANI, as it
prompted me for my phone number.  I entered it (908-647-xxxx) and was
then given the message for Buffalo (about 500 miles from here!).  I
know that area code 908 is a recent addition to the geography, but I
expected something more helpful than Buffalo!

Dave Levenson			Voice: 201 647 0900  Fax: 201 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA			AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (07/17/90)

In article <9811@accuvax.nwu.edu> John writes:

>You call the number and you get a pollen report for your area. Based on the
>ANI data obtained in real time you are given, supposedly, the correct report.

When I called, it asked me to dial my number, so I gave them the
number of the time-of-day lady in Boston (which happens to be a normal
phone number, not a 976) and they give me the pollen count for New
York.  Oh, well.  I thought that 800 ANI delivery was only implemented
for extremely high volume Megacom applications, which this is probably
not.

Regards,

John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

syd@dsinc.dsi.com (Syd Weinstein) (07/17/90)

Quoting John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com>

> An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
> Trak" You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
> area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
> supposedly, the correct report.
I guess the PA ANI ruling is effecting the 800 immediate ANI.

I called it and it asked me to key in my area code and phone number.
I, of course was on the TB+, so I didn't comply.  It gave me three
tries and then told me since it didn't receive the tones, it could
answer for me and hung up.

Therefore, it didn't get ANI from me, so I guess the PA PUC's ruling
on wiretapping vs Caller-ID/ANI is now effecting 800 numbers.

Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com (David Tamkin) (07/17/90)

John Higdon wrote in volume 10, issue 491:

| An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
| Trak".  Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
| supposedly, the correct report.  It gives me a Sacramento area report;
| that's hardly useful since San Jose is somewhat outside Sacramento's
| geographic sphere of influence.

| If you wish to play, the number is 800 325-5374.  Be warned, however,
| that the way I found out about this was from a news story that talked
| about people complaining against the junk calls and mail generated by
| the scooped up ANI.

Culy trurious.  I've heard Benadryl's commercials for the Pollen Trak
line but never called until after reading Mr. Igdonhay's submission.
Surely ANI is delivered to all 800 numbers, yet it asked me to key in
my own area code and telephone number.  That's preferable to ANI, for
one might call from one place but seek an allergen report for another
(say, where a relative lives, or somewhere one plans to travel).

I dialed twice to try my Chicago and Park Ridge numbers; for both a
report came from meters at Grant Hospital in Chicago (no data from
Lutheran General in Park Ridge?) ... for YESTERDAY.  Useful, huh?

| I used one of my Telebit lines to make the call.  If they call back
| they will have to log in!

If they call me they'll get an impassive voice mail service and their
message will be interrupted with the delete key within seconds.

David Tamkin  Box 7002  Des Plaines IL  60018-7002  708 518 6769  312 693 0591
MCI Mail: 426-1818  GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN  CIS: 73720,1570   dattier@ddsw1.mcs.com

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (07/18/90)

In article <9811@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot (John Higdon) writes:

| An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
| Trak" (with the same announcer on the machine that did "Weather
| Trak").  You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
| area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
| supposedly, the correct report. It gives me a Sacramento area report;
| that's hardly useful since San Jose is somewhat outside Sacramento's
| geographic sphere of influence.

| If you wish to play, the number is 800 325-5374. Be warned, however,
| that the way I found out about this was from a news story that talked
| about people complaining against the junk calls and mail generated by
| the scooped up ANI. I used one of my Telebit lines to make the call.
| If they call back they will have to log in!

Interesting.  I called this from a PBX, and it asked me to enter my
area code and phone number.  I gave it 503 555 1212.  It gave me the
report for the Portland area.  Boy, are they gonna have a fun time
calling that number back. :-)

Now, telecom experts, why didn't they get the correct number?  Is that
because I'm in the backwaters of GTE-land, or because I called from
behind a PBX?  I should try this from home, but I don't want my number
to be junk-listed.

Just another phoney user, :-)

| Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========|
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |
| merlyn@iwarp.intel.com ...!any-MX-mailer-like-uunet!iwarp.intel.com!merlyn |

n313ap@tamuts.tamu.edu (Mark Saum) (07/19/90)

>> An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
>> Trak" (with the same announcer on the machine that did "Weather
>> Trak").  You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
>> area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,
>> supposedly, the correct report. It gives me a Sacramento area report;
>> that's hardly useful since San Jose is somewhat outside Sacramento's
>> geographic sphere of influence.

> Just tried it from NJ.  It apparently didn't get the ANI, as it
> prompted me for my phone number.  I entered it (908-647-xxxx) and was
> then given the message for Buffalo (about 500 miles from here!).  I
> know that area code 908 is a recent addition to the geography, but I
> expected something more helpful than Buffalo!

When I called this number from our phone here at the lab. We are on
some sort of private exchange in which we control two exchanges
409-845-xxxx & 409-847-xxxx.  I'm still very fuzzy on the details.
Anyway, it also prompted me to enter my phone number.  I put in
409-555-1212, and it gave me the Dallas pollen count.

Mark Saum                           Remote Sensing/GIS Lab
Programmer/Student Technition       Dept. of Forest Science
n313ap@tamuts.tamu.edu   <---O.K.   Texas A&M University

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/19/90)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@iwarp.intel.com> writes:

> Now, telecom experts, why didn't they get the correct number?  Is that
> because I'm in the backwaters of GTE-land, or because I called from
> behind a PBX?  I should try this from home, but I don't want my number
> to be junk-listed.

The day after I posted the original article, PollenTrak started asking
for the caller's phone number. I have no idea why this happened unless
the complaints that were being lodged somehow forced them to stop
using the ANI, or caused AT&T to stop sending it.

I have no InsideTrak on this; it's just a theory. There is, however,
no assurance that they have stopped recording the caller's number.
Remember, the whole "service" is there to generate a contact list.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (07/19/90)

Called the Benadryl Pollen Count number myself, from the PBX at work
and from a POTS line at home.  Both times I was prompted for a phone
number so its not just Randal in backwater GTE Land whose ANI isn't
passes.  (I'm in Southwestern Bell land.)

Entering my modem numbers from home and work (512-889 & 512-882) got
me the HOUSTON pollen Count.  Houston (713-Almost Anything) is 5 hours
by car and 46 minutes by 737 away.  Guess its the closest place they
have a count from.

    UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
Internet: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890   |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686   |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899   |    GEnie: BLAKE

0002003441@mcimail.com (Paul Wilczynski) (07/19/90)

John R. Levine <johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> writes ...

> Oh, well.  I thought that 800 ANI delivery was only implemented
> for extremely high volume Megacom applications, which this is probably
> not.

I have an AT&T ReadyLine 800 number ($20/month plus cost of the calls)
and I get the phone numbers of most of the people who call my 800
number.

Paul Wilczynski

kcrudup@uunet.uu.net (Kenny Crudup LID-A0794) (07/19/90)

In article <9835@accuvax.nwu.edu> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
(John R. Levine) writes:

>When I called, it asked me to dial my number, so I gave them the
>number of the time-of-day lady in Boston (which happens to be a normal
>phone number, not a 976) and they give me the pollen count for New
>York.  Oh, well.

I tried it from my phone at work (behind a ROLM digital PBX) and it
too asked me for my number. Now the reason I'm putting in my two cents
is 'cause I got the report for Boston OK, but Lotus has just switched
to the old 693- exchange, which used to be Martha's Vineyard before
the 617/508 area code division (It's aggrivating, as my extension,
617-693-4111, used to be MV information, and anyone with an outdated
book will call this number (I should know, I keep a tally sheet and
have 41 calls since 6/25)). I am surprised that John Levine should
have gotten NYC info, as the 637-xxxx time number has been around for
a while, but Lotus has just started using (617)-693 in the last 6
weeks.

Kenneth R. Crudup, Lotus Development Corp. Contractor, NASD/QA system V
1 Rogers Street 6381D, Cambridge, MA 02142. (617) 693 4111.
Work: kcrudup@roxbury.lotus.com, Home: nubian!kenny@ima.ima.isc.com

chris@com50.c2s.mn.org (Chris Johnson) (07/20/90)

I tried the PollenTrak number too, hoping to be amazed by their ANI
knowing where I was, but of course, was requested to enter my number.
I did so, and it gave me the pollen count for St. Paul, which is
logically the closest large city (about 2-3 miles away).  I guess it
all depends on where you are geographically with respect to a news or
weather agency that reports pollen counts.

   ...Chris Johnson          chris@c2s.mn.org   ..uunet!bungia!com50!chris
 Com Squared Systems, Inc.   St. Paul, MN USA   +1 612 452 9522

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (07/20/90)

In article <9872@accuvax.nwu.edu> blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake
Farenthold) writes:

>Called the Benadryl Pollen Count number myself, from the PBX at work

Me, too. Aren't we curious people 8^).

>me the HOUSTON pollen Count.  Houston (713-Almost Anything) is 5 hours
>by car and 46 minutes by 737 away.  Guess its the closest place they
>have a count from.

Earlier in this thread someone entered from 408 called and got a
report from Sacramento, 100 miles away. When I called I got a report
from Berkeley for "The Bay Area".

Maybe they don't have their network fully functional yet? Why don't we
try this all again in a week?

Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (07/21/90)

Jim Budler <jimb@silvlis.com> writes:

> Earlier in this thread someone entered from 408 called and got a
> report from Sacramento, 100 miles away. When I called I got a report
> from Berkeley for "The Bay Area".

It was I, and as of last night PollenTrak was once again automagically
giving me the "Woodland Clinic's" Sacramento area report. I would
think that the Berkeley report would be a little more sensible for a
Bay Area city such as San Jose.

But then a lot of those east coast types think that LA is the first
freeway exit south of San Francisco. Like when I called a firm in New
Jersey to ask about availability of their product.  "Sir, you should
call your LOCAL sales office. Here's the number--213...."

BTW, PollenTrak returned a busy all morning. I think they are getting
more response than they bargained for.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Either that, or everyone reading our little digest
is having fun and games!  :)  PT]

hwt@uunet.uu.net (Henry Troup) (07/21/90)

In article <9811@accuvax.nwu.edu> John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com>
writes:

>An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
>Trak" (with the same announcer on the machine that did "Weather
>Trak").  You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
>area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time you are given,

Well, our private net has access to U.S. 800 service (from Canada). So
I tried it.  Interestingly enough, it prompted me to enter my phone
number - indicating some odd ANI property of private networks?  Then
it told me that service was not available to my zip code area ... and
tried to give me product id.

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA 613-765-2337

Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org (Jack Winslade) (07/21/90)

In a message of <17 Jul 90 02:48:10>, John Higdon (200:30102/2) writes:

 >An OTC pharmacutical company is sponsoring something called "Pollen
 >Trak" ... You call the number and you get a pollen report for your
 >area. Based on the ANI data obtained in real time ...

I've determined that it depends on the specific prefix from which you
are calling if you will or will not be prompted for your number.  This
morning I tried that number from work, 559 prefix in midtown Omaha,
newer ESS, not sure exactly which type.  After hearing (ring)
(supervise) (ring), I received a recording '... we are sorry, the
pollen count is not available for your ZIP {sic} code'.

I tried it again from home this evening, 895 prefix in west Omaha, an
aging 1A ESS (I think).  Again I got (ring) (supervise) (ring), but
was prompted for my phone number.  I entered a valid Omaha number and
was then told no pollen count was available.  I tried again using a
valid NYC area number -- I was SURE they had data for that city -- but
again, not available.  I tried the third time using a valid Chicago
number and it worked.

I guess the conclusion is that some of the older ESS machines do not
give on-the-fly calling number ID to those 800 services.

Comments ??

Good Day!        JSW

[1:285/666@fidonet] DRBBS Technical BBS, Omaha (1:285/666)

 --- Through FidoNet gateway node 1:16/390
Jack.Winslade@f666.n285.z1.fidonet.org